Americans losing their love for V8s

Started by cawimmer430, February 15, 2008, 06:01:33 AM

cawimmer430

Americans losing their love for V8s

The end of the performance V8 engine is approaching. Of course, there will also be the odd enthusiast after the smooth revving and torqeuy nature of a big V8 but their numbers are dwindling fast. A new study has found that installation rates for V8 engines, the favored choice of powerplant for performance fans in the U.S. for more than five decades, is dropping and that new car buyers are markedly less interested in V8 power.

Data compiled in the Edmunds study reveal overall demand for V8s has dropped from 19% years ago to just 15% today. The drop is even more significant for SUV buyers, whose interest in V8s has dropped from 24% in 2006 to just under 18% at the end of last year. Demand for V8 power in large cars also slid from 36% to 29% in the same time frame, and the same story could be told for two-seaters. The only segment where demand for V8s has actually increased is the fullsize pickup market, with demand rising from 55% in 2006 to a current level of 59%.

With fuel prices now more expensive than ever and the push for green vehicles constantly being posted across the media, the allure of big V8s understandably is fading. America?s carmakers have seen the writing on the wall and for once are acting fast. GM has already canceled its future luxury V8 program and Chrysler has stated that its legendary HEMI doesn?t have a place in its future powertrain lineup.

Link: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/industry/americans-losing-their-love-for-v8s/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

Heterosexual Americans haven't lost their love for V8s. :praise:
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I don't think anyone is actually losing their love for it, they're just losing the desire to pay for the gas.

Soup DeVille

Exuse me, I have to ge reassure my V8 that I still like her.

Thanks, Wimmer.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on February 15, 2008, 11:32:30 AM
Long live the turbo four.

Turbo 4?  Most don't make the same power or have the same fuel efficiency as the pushrod V8s...

GoCougs

The one fact poignant fact not mentioned IMO is that the mid-sized 260-280 hp V6 of today is more powerful (let alone infinitely more efficient) than virtually all of the V8s up until the mid/late '90s, including even the muscle car era save for the ultra-rare hi-po small blocks (fuelie 327, Chevy 302, etc.) or fairly rare hi-po big blocks (440 Magnum, 454 LS-5, etc.).

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2008, 11:38:13 AM
Turbo 4?  Most don't make the same power or have the same fuel efficiency as the pushrod V8s...

Oh? 

LONG LIVE THE TURBO FOUR!!!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 15, 2008, 11:44:11 AM
The one fact poignant fact not mentioned IMO is that the mid-sized 260-280 hp V6 of today is more powerful (let alone infinitely more efficient) than virtually all of the V8s up until the mid/late '90s, including even the muscle car era save for the ultra-rare hi-po small blocks (fuelie 327, Chevy 302, etc.) or fairly rare hi-po big blocks (440 Magnum, 454 LS-5, etc.).

Exactly, horsepower is horsepower. Not to mention cars are much smaller and faster on average than they were when V8s were the norm.

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2008, 12:09:21 PM
Rotary!

Blasphemy with horrible gas mileage.

I miss our old Civic and all of its 35-40 mpg goodness.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on February 15, 2008, 12:13:55 PM

Now that I think about it I've owned exactly 1 V8 in 42 years of car ownership and that was in a 1966 Charger.

Nethead

GoCougs: So, CougDude, I assume the figures from the articles mean that those who never should have been allowed to purchase V8-engined vehicles are now being ferreted out and punished appropriately, right?  Good.  The world is a far, far better place...
So many stairs...so little time...

Vinsanity

It doesn't help that some V8's are losing their power advantage over their V6 siblings. Look at the M45's engine compared to the G37's. Cadillac's new DI V6 is awfully close to the power output of the aging Northstar. Heck, last year, Lexus continued to offer a 290-hp GS430 alongside the 306-hp GS350 :nutty:

IIRC, my CTS's 263 lb-ft of torque is in the ballpark of my old Q45's torque output.

GoCougs

Quote from: Nethead on February 15, 2008, 12:21:21 PM
GoCougs:  CougDude, explain again how 260-280 HP made by a V6 is more powerful than 260-280 HP made by an I4, a flat four, a V4, an I5, an I6, a flat six, an I8, a flat 8, a V8, a flat 10, a V10, a V12, a W12, a V16, or a radial engine of any number of cylinders and rows?  Where I live, 260-280 HP is 260-280 HP.  Maybe physics is different in Seattle--or is poignant horsepower computed differently than brake horsepower?

Okay, fair enough. My main point is that "years ago" (the article's terminology) engines were rated in gross HP, not net HP as like today. And I used the modern V6 owing to its common availability.

My secondary point that I didn't explicity mention is that the article tries to play on the common misconception that "V8" is the American absolute in performance. Not so when looking at the numbers - Detroit literally builts tens of millions utterly gutless V8-powered vehicles that are both out-powered and out performed by a new below-average-cost V6 Camry (as were the majority of V8s of the muscle car era).

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on February 15, 2008, 12:20:10 PM
Now that I think about it I've owned exactly 1 V8 in 42 years of car ownership and that was in a 1966 Charger.

hehe, I haven't owned a single one yet.  I've never even owned anything more than 4 cylinder. 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Roughly 65% of all the cars and trucks I've owned are V8.

280Z Turbo

So engineers can do more with less. Sounds like progress to me. :nutty:

The Corvette dropping the V8 would be a tragedy, but normal "point A to point B" daily drivers don't.

If your wife's SUV needs 260 hp...why not get that power from a V6 that gets 20 mpg vs. a V8 that gets 15 mpg?

NomisR

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 15, 2008, 01:10:52 PM
So engineers can do more with less. Sounds like progress to me. :nutty:

The Corvette dropping the V8 would be a tragedy, but normal "point A to point B" daily drivers don't.

If your wife's SUV needs 260 hp...why not get that power from a V6 that gets 20 mpg vs. a V8 that gets 15 mpg?

Doesn't the Corvette get mid 20s to 30 mpg, which seems a lot better than a lot of V6/I6 out there? 

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2008, 01:21:18 PM
Doesn't the Corvette get mid 20s to 30 mpg, which seems a lot better than a lot of V6/I6 out there? 

That's true. Even with "outdated" OHV technology.

GM engines are like that. They have so much torque that they are perfectly happy sitting at less than 2000 rpms.

FoMoJo

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2008, 01:21:18 PM
If you toddle around in 6th gear.  But then, what's the point of driving a 'Vette?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 15, 2008, 01:40:44 PM
If you toddle around in 6th gear.  But then, what's the point of driving a 'Vette?

It would be good on the freeway.

Unfortunately, my exuberant acceleration on the onramps might be enough to cancel that out.

NomisR

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 15, 2008, 01:45:54 PM
It would be good on the freeway.

Unfortunately, my exuberant acceleration on the onramps might be enough to cancel that out.

But then it's the same with any engine.  Maybe GM should go back to the pushrod V8s and call them something else with a marketing twist, that should lure some customers in.  "newer" technology v8 that's smaller and lighter than standard v8 and better fuel economy.. why not?  and it's all true too!

MX793

It's not like there's a great many V8 car offerings that are affordable (under $40K).  By my count, there are only 10 cars with V8s with MSRPs of $40K or less.  GM's W bodies (Impala SS, Grand Prix GXP, and LaCrosse Super), the Buick Lucerne, two of Ford's Panther cars, the Mustang, and Chrysler's 3 LX cars.

And automakers are transitioning from truck-based SUVs to car-based CUVs for their midsize (bread and butter) SUV entries, many of which have FWD architectures with transverse engines.  You're seeing V8s disappear from that segment by virtue of the fact that transverse, FWD cars with V8s are few and far between (GM's W bodies and G bodies and the Volvo S80 are it).  I'm not sure how much of this move was due to demand for CUVs and how much was due to the automakers striving to bring their CAFE fleet averages up.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 15, 2008, 03:04:14 PM
But then it's the same with any engine.  Maybe GM should go back to the pushrod V8s and call them something else with a marketing twist, that should lure some customers in.  "newer" technology v8 that's smaller and lighter than standard v8 and better fuel economy.. why not?  and it's all true too!
They tried calling in Cam-in-block the last couple years, but it never seemed to catch on.

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 15, 2008, 05:06:39 PM
They tried calling in Cam-in-block the last couple years, but it never seemed to catch on.

That's because the name sucks, they need a gimicky name that can make the consumer think it's a new technology.  In a way, it is compared to OHC engines so they're not lying, and neither is efficiency. 

And they need lots of advertising dollar into it to make a big stink about it.. V8 with the fuel efficiency of a I4 and power of a V8.. Consumers will buy into it in no time.. you just need advertising dollars.