GCF Spy Photos Story: Audi Q5

Started by BMWDave, July 12, 2005, 08:44:12 AM

BMWDave

GCF Spy Photos Story: Audi Q5

The premium compact SUV market is beginning to heat up. BMW is riding high with its X3, but both Mercedes-Benz and Audi aren?t planning on allowing BMW to roam free. Even Land Rover who created the segment are planning a new Freelander next year, with quality on par with the Germans.

Audi?s X3 fighter is the forthcoming Q5. Due in 2007, the 5 seater compact SUV will be based of the current A4 platform and feature the Torsen AWD system. The Quattro AWD system is set up to provide a 40/60 split for the front/rear torque distribution with 100% being transferred to any wheel when loss of traction occurs.

Styling is to follow closely to that of the 2006 Audi Q7 due to be unveiled at the 2005 Frankfurt Auto show. The distinctive shield grill dawns the front of the car with Q7 lower facia, and sleek like headlights. The rear design is reminiscent of both the A3 Sportback and recently facelifted A4 wagon. Unlike its bigger brother, the Q5 will only have room for 5. The Q5 forgoes with off-roading capability but will feature air suspension and hill decent control.

Engines likely will include the 2.0-litre FSI and 3.2-litre (or 3.6-litre FSI) V6, with the 4.2-litre V8 being fitted into the S version. Diesel power will be the main selling force in Europe with the 2.0 TDI and 3.0-litre V6 TDI both being offered.

Prices are expected to start from roughly $35,000 for a base model in the US and around 30,000 Euros in Europe. Unveiling is planned either at Geneva 2007 or fall 2007. Americans sales start in early 2008.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TurboDan

Wow, I can't believe I like it.  But I do!

TBR

Looks a bit like the FX but cleaner. I love it.  

ifcar

It looks to bulbous towards the rear, but the rest is very nice.

saxonyron

QuoteIt looks to bulbous towards the rear, but the rest is very nice.
I know a lot of girls like that!  :lol:  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

It's a bit un-proportional, and it just looks like a raised wagon, IMO...nothing special, but it is nice.

BMWDave

QuoteIt looks to bulbous towards the rear, but the rest is very nice.
I know a lot of girls like that!  :lol:  :lol:
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

saxonyron

I hate to admit it, but I'm slowly coming around to liking these SUV crossovers.  They always seemed stupendously dorky and soccer mommish to me, but hell, they're growing on me!  Both the Q7 an Q5 look like real contenders in this market.  In line with the Lexus RX to be the best looking in class, IMO.  I'm pondering the Q7 since it satisfies 2 major automotive needs for me:  1.  I'm an Audi fan.  2.  I have 5 kids and it would be nice to take a family cruise in something other than the Expedition Bus.  

FWIW, the Q5 looks a hell of a lot better than the X3!  How could BMW create the fugly X3 after coming out with the fine looking X5?  Bangle must've had something to do with it!  :o  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

giant_mtb

QuoteI hate to admit it, but I'm slowly coming around to liking these SUV crossovers.  They always seemed stupendously dorky and soccer mommish to me, but hell, they're growing on me!  Both the Q7 an Q5 look like real contenders in this market.  In line with the Lexus RX to be the best looking in class, IMO.  I'm pondering the Q7 since it satisfies 2 major automotive needs for me:  1.  I'm an Audi fan.  2.  I have 5 kids and it would be nice to take a family cruise in something other than the Expedition Bus.  

FWIW, the Q5 looks a hell of a lot better than the X3!  How could BMW create the fugly X3 after coming out with the fine looking X5?  Bangle must've had something to do with it!  :o
Damn that Bangle! ^_^

Raghavan

i like the X3 much more than this.

BMWDave

Quotei like the X3 much more than this.
And so do I, although I still believe the Q5 is a good looker.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Quotei like the X3 much more than this.
And so do I, although I still believe the Q5 is a good looker.
i like it too, but i feel that it looks a bit bulbous and chubby, whereas the X3 looks much more svelte.

SJ_GTI

This is a photoshop, right?

It does look really good. I am not a fan of the Q7 so far.

ifcar

It would be a photochop, there wouldn't be an undisguised test car going around like that, nor would there be a cameraman taking clear high-quality photos.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI'm pondering the Q7 since it satisfies 2 major automotive needs for me:  1.  I'm an Audi fan.  2.  I have 5 kids and it would be nice to take a family cruise in something other than the Expedition Bus.
You should only get it if they offer the 6MT.  :P

Just kidding. I didn't realize you had 5 kids. A long wagon like the Q7 might actually be a nice ride if I was in your position.

BMWDave

QuoteIt would be a photochop, there wouldn't be an undisguised test car going around like that, nor would there be a cameraman taking clear high-quality photos.
Yup.  But even still, photoshops usually represent the car somewhat, so this is a hint to what will come.

2007 Honda S2000