Autox / Track Tires FYI

Started by Eye of the Tiger, February 18, 2008, 08:11:05 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2008, 04:57:22 PM
damn you and your ridiculously cheap small tires... damn you

:praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on April 03, 2008, 05:44:02 PM
:praise:

I think rigging up some kind of dually setup would be a great way to have racecar grip with half the price.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 04, 2008, 10:44:03 AM
I think rigging up some kind of dually setup would be a great way to have racecar grip with half the price.

That is in the works. I've always wanted to take an old AMC AMX and install the rear axle from a school bus. It would have some wicked low gearing, not to mention the traction!

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 10:49:29 AM
That is in the works. I've always wanted to take an old AMC AMX and install the rear axle from a school bus. It would have some wicked low gearing, not to mention the traction!

If you did that, I would kick you in the balls, steal the AMX, and give it to my dad.  You wouldn't be an asshole to a man with a heart condition. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2008, 12:47:15 PM
If you did that, I would kick you in the balls, steal the AMX, and give it to my dad.  You wouldn't be an asshole to a man with a heart condition. 

Why do you have to crush my dreams?!  :cry: :cry: :cry:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 01:20:06 PM
Why do you have to crush my dreams?!  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Because that car is meant to be driven and cherished and not mutilated.  Making it into a truck essentially would be deserving of a ball kicking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2008, 02:29:32 PM
Because that car is meant to be driven and cherished and not mutilated.  Making it into a truck essentially would be deserving of a ball kicking.

I figured AMX's were pieces of shit that nobody wants. If it's that big of a deal, I'll use a Dodge Polara.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 02:31:45 PM
I figured AMX's were pieces of shit that nobody wants. If it's that big of a deal, I'll use a Dodge Polara.

My dad owned a 1969 AMX and recklessly abused it.  Now, he regrets every day that he doesn't have the car still.  He bought it over a Shelby Mustang.  That's how much he liked it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2008, 02:36:19 PM
My dad owned a 1969 AMX and recklessly abused it.  Now, he regrets every day that he doesn't have the car still.  He bought it over a Shelby Mustang.  That's how much he liked it.

If I give your dad anpther AMX, will you leave me alone to work on my project?   :lockedup: :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 02:39:03 PM
If I give your dad anpther AMX, will you leave me alone to work on my project?   :lockedup: :lol:

Yes.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2008, 02:42:39 PM
Yes.

That's too bad, because now I'm doing a Polara. Just imagine this thing with a truck axle on the back and a giant turbo diesel under the hood!

:wub:

Champ

Quote from: NACar on April 03, 2008, 02:09:03 PM
Oh yeah  :rockon:
I need to do a few little things to my bike so it will pass inspection, otherwise it's ready to go! Just waiting for the weather to cooperate...
Yea there is no inspection here in MN :ohyeah:

the Teuton

There's actually a fairly well-maintained Polara that looks almost exactly like that around here.  I see it all the time on campus.

ChrisV

Man, that Polara ad points out why the Smart car will fail in the US. Marketing has been driving home that point for decades.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on April 07, 2008, 11:20:05 AM
Man, that Polara ad points out why the Smart car will fail in the US. Marketing has been driving home that point for decades.

Bigger, cheaper, better value?

ChrisV

Bigger is better, and more economical due to how much car you get for your money.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Champ

FINALLY TOOK THE VIGGEN OUT!!!

So happy, I had a Saab buddy come down today and we did some work on our cars.  I got the Viggen out and bled the brakes (upcoming events start this month!) and put on the new Falken Azeni's as discussed in this thread.  He bled his brakes and put on a new valve cover gasket.

These tires are sticky.

I'm looking forward to breaking them in a bit and getting them a little warmer, the air temp was mid 40's so I didn't get a whole lot of heat into them.

Champ

Hit 50 today on a clover leaf that was typically 40-45...

These tires are so-far-so-good.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Champ on April 15, 2008, 10:14:45 AM
Hit 50 today on a clover leaf that was typically 40-45...

These tires are so-far-so-good.

You damn kids and your rock and roll music and fast cars.

*shakes fist*

I'm still waiting for a good rain to wash the piles of salt off the roads up here. Then i'll get the Z out and start driving the EVO again.

r0tor

can't let a rally car get dirty now can we  :devil: :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on April 15, 2008, 01:58:28 PM
can't let a rally car get dirty now can we  :devil: :lol:

Maybe you are unfamiliar with the area, when i say salt pile i literally mean salt piles(6 feet in diamater, 3-4 inches deep right in the middle of the intersection).

I had it out last week and was driving it, then we got some snow and some dumb bitch hit a telephone pole so the city decided to dump a few tons of salt on the road.

Champ

Looks like rain the next few days and in the 60's so you should be set  after that!

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Champ on April 15, 2008, 02:48:03 PM
Looks like rain the next few days and in the 60's so you should be set  after that!

Thats what i thought a few weeks ago when it rained, then 2 days later we got dumped on. I hope it rains in the next week but the chances are slim(possible showers on wensday).

You should drive on up and let me beat on...errr...test drive your car with the new tires on it. :lol:

Champ

Come to Arden Hills for lunch some day and we can do some test drivin.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Champ on April 15, 2008, 03:26:28 PM
Come to Arden Hills for lunch some day and we can do some test drivin.

That would be great, sadly i don't get lunch breaks at work though. A weekend wouldn't be bad.

r0tor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 15, 2008, 02:12:18 PM
Maybe you are unfamiliar with the area, when i say salt pile i literally mean salt piles(6 feet in diamater, 3-4 inches deep right in the middle of the intersection).

I had it out last week and was driving it, then we got some snow and some dumb bitch hit a telephone pole so the city decided to dump a few tons of salt on the road.

my car ends up being more greyish-white then black all winter.... i know a thing or two about salt!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Champ

Just autoX'd the Viggen with the Azeni's yesterday.

They are awesome.

I believe I was the fastest FWD car w/o R compounds there.

The EVO's (all MR's) were running 30-31s, I ran a 31.9 as my best, most in the 32.2-32.7 range.

There was a supercharged S2000 there that ran 31.2 so that felt good to get close to him.

There was a cobra kit car replica, and a Nissan Sunny GTI-R.

RHD sunny!

Some of you may remember my buddy in his classic 900 that took first in class at the last RallyX I was at:

'rocco!

Nice sky, he put Opel badging on the front.  This thing sounded pretty nice too!

Hug that cone!  Here is me :)

My favorite pic:

more here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewaustin/sets/72157604762410048/

r0tor

glad you like them!

to throw fuel on the fire, 2 of the top RX8 drivers in B-Stock are going very different ways this year.  Cars are basically identically preparred.  One is sticking with 225 width tires all around on the stock 8" rim and another just somehow mounted 285 width tires all around on the stock 8" rim (Bstock requires factory wheel diameter, width, and offsets).

So far in the first showdown, the skinnier tire guy came out on top...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: r0tor on April 28, 2008, 04:38:26 PM
glad you like them!

to throw fuel on the fire, 2 of the top RX8 drivers in B-Stock are going very different ways this year.  Cars are basically identically preparred.  One is sticking with 225 width tires all around on the stock 8" rim and another just somehow mounted 285 width tires all around on the stock 8" rim (Bstock requires factory wheel diameter, width, and offsets).

So far in the first showdown, the skinnier tire guy came out on top...

GRM had an RX-8 autocross tire test recently.

They used all 285s except for the Kumho V710s which experienced sidewall buckling during mounting which forced them to use a 245. It ended up being the fastest in the test. :huh:

Autocross championships have been won by cramming 225s onto 5" wide rims. Kids who watch too much Wangan Midnight like to cram 195s onto 8" wide rims. Other people (like myself) like to run somewhere in the middle. I like some compliance in the sidewall.