Autox / Track Tires FYI

Started by Eye of the Tiger, February 18, 2008, 08:11:05 PM

Eye of the Tiger

FYI for those who are interested, Grassroots Motorsports has an excellent article in PDF form. I have it saved on my computer for future reference.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/images/samples/august_100_115_tiretest.pdf

For the best bang for the buck in autox and street use, it sounds like the Falken Azenis RT-615 comes out on top. Still, do not overlook the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 or Kumho ECSTA MX. For those who want even more, there are the DOT-legal R-compounds, but then it starts getting expensive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

I think I'll be getting some 225/50/16 Azensis' once I get 8" wide rims.

Champ

Either of these two will be my next choice of summer tire, which will also see a good amount of track and autox this summer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?sortValue=1&displayResults=7&compare=true&compareList=2%2C3&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&sortCode=&width=225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&performance=EP&startIndex=0

The Dunlop is new this year and looks to be the performance bargain of these sets of tires.  $121 each and they are getting awesome reviews.

Here is how it did in the last test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?partnum=245WR7Z1&tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1&fromCompare1=yes

r0tor

their testing always show the RT-615's are the best and they are a great tire (especially when the price is considered)... but the best teams as nationals are always running Advans
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2008, 05:51:23 AM
their testing always show the RT-615's are the best and they are a great tire (especially when the price is considered)... but the best teams as nationals are always running Advans

What kind of Advans? R-compounds?

r0tor

the hot ticket in the stock auto-x catagories (which require a street tire with a certain minimal tread wear rating) is usually the yoko Advan AD07.

Other classes where you can use a R-Compound which then is usually the Kumho V710 DOT-R.

The RT-615's work well for the stock classes and will probably outlast the yokos, but if your trying for every last tenth then the yokos are perferred.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2008, 09:38:50 AM
the hot ticket in the stock auto-x catagories (which require a street tire with a certain minimal tread wear rating) is usually the yoko Advan AD07.

Other classes where you can use a R-Compound which then is usually the Kumho V710 DOT-R.

The RT-615's work well for the stock classes and will probably outlast the yokos, but if your trying for every last tenth then the yokos are perferred.

Ah, I see. I don't recall hearing much about those, or seeing anyone using them. The Azenis are very popular, and compared to the AD07's, the RT-615's are half the price and come in twice as many sizes.

Champ

What do you guys think of those Dunlops I posted?

How much are the Azenis?

I think the Advans are $250+ yea?

Champ

So the Dunlop Direzza's I was talking about were pulled from the tirerack with no new date for getting more in.

So I was looking for an alternative...

I really liked the Bridgestone Potenza re-01r but from what I was reading on the local autox forum is that there is waaay too much tread and they are best if you shaved them down.  So $159 a tire + $15 each for shaving, +$50 shipping it got to be pretty pricey.  And at that point I'd rather just go for the Yokohama Advans, but at that point I'd rather just go for some R compounds - since I'm not running any class limits, just for fun tracking.

So that was looking to be a lot of money.  So I started looking at what else was available, and I found the Falken Azeni RT-615's for $117 each with free shipping.

$468 for 4 tires you can't go wrong!  Was looking to be almost $800 for the Potenza's and more than that for the Advans.

They are scheduled to be here Wednesday so I'll get them mounted on Thursday and hopefully get some first impressions this weekend if it gets nice out (snowing today).

r0tor

cool!  Let us know what you think of them, I've only heard positive experiences based on performance.

Champ

Quote from: r0tor on March 17, 2008, 10:03:45 AM
cool!  Let us know what you think of them, I've only heard positive experiences based on performance.
Yea I'm excited, the price is really the best part.  I don't mind taking a performance hit if it means saving almost 50%...

TheIntrepid

Probably a stupid question, but is Champ's Viggen RWD or FWD?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CJ

Champ

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Champ on March 17, 2008, 09:19:32 AM
So the Dunlop Direzza's I was talking about were pulled from the tirerack with no new date for getting more in.

So I was looking for an alternative...

I really liked the Bridgestone Potenza re-01r but from what I was reading on the local autox forum is that there is waaay too much tread and they are best if you shaved them down.  So $159 a tire + $15 each for shaving, +$50 shipping it got to be pretty pricey.  And at that point I'd rather just go for the Yokohama Advans, but at that point I'd rather just go for some R compounds - since I'm not running any class limits, just for fun tracking.

So that was looking to be a lot of money.  So I started looking at what else was available, and I found the Falken Azeni RT-615's for $117 each with free shipping.

$468 for 4 tires you can't go wrong!  Was looking to be almost $800 for the Potenza's and more than that for the Advans.

They are scheduled to be here Wednesday so I'll get them mounted on Thursday and hopefully get some first impressions this weekend if it gets nice out (snowing today).

What are your old track tiers? I predict that you will be amazed by the Azeni RT-615's.

Champ

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2008, 03:55:31 PM
What are your old track tiers? I predict that you will be amazed by the Azeni RT-615's.
I had just used the old summer tires I had on there at the time, Bridgestone Potenza RE750.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE750&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=245WR7RE750&fromCompare1=yes&place=9

While they are a nice tire, they just couldn't hang with these more aggresive tires.  I will give them credit though because they actually made it through 2 summers and did really well in standing water.

I think with the addition of the motorcycle, I will be able to get 2 summers out of these as well - just because I will be driving the car much less.

r0tor

Quote from: Champ on March 17, 2008, 11:33:40 AM
Yea I'm excited, the price is really the best part.  I don't mind taking a performance hit if it means saving almost 50%...

yea, if i get a set of wheels/tires for the track - this is the way i'd go as well.  The only complaints i ever heard were from people wearing them out after 10-15k miles... which should be a no brainer with this type of tire and driving them hard.

Raza

I didn't read the PDF yet; Adobe's been crashing my computer lately, I really need to look into that. 

But could I realistically use a set of these higher scoring tires to replace the ContiSportContract2s on my Boxster?  The car does only about 5,000 miles a year.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2008, 07:52:17 PM
I didn't read the PDF yet; Adobe's been crashing my computer lately, I really need to look into that. 

But could I realistically use a set of these higher scoring tires to replace the ContiSportContract2s on my Boxster?  The car does only about 5,000 miles a year.
Yes.

280Z Turbo

What do you guys think about the Kumho Ecsta MX?

Champ

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 17, 2008, 09:50:53 PM
What do you guys think about the Kumho Ecsta MX?
It's an OK tire for the money, but I think it's not quite in the same league as some of these other ones.

I think I'd (and I did) splurge the extra $10 a tire for the Falken 615s.

*The report isn't opening for me, but I want to say the Kumho's came in last for the time on track?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2008, 07:52:17 PM

If you put Azenis RT-615's on the Boxter, you will be lifting the inside front wheel in turns without losing grip - or can you already do that? Anyway, Boxters are amazing to watch on autox courses. z0mg.

Champ

Got my Azeni's and dropped them off at the shop today for mounting.

EASILY fit eight 17" tires in my classic 900.  coupe.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Middle_Path on March 25, 2008, 12:11:05 PM
I have personally raced in a well setup Boxster with better tires. The car does whatever you say and it destroyed all comers.

Raza, I'd suggest you replace the Conti's with with anything other than Conti's. Can't believe Porsche is still using those shitty tires. The most important thing you should do is adjust camber, toe, and offset. Porsche's come setup conservatively and I know the Boxsters, atleast used to be, setup for understeer. Fix those settings first and go from there. Changing those settings make the car completely different. I'm dead serious. Good settings, plus better tires, and the right tire pressure and that car will own. Serious, factory Porsche settings are crap so fags don't wreck them on the street trying to impress people.

Do you recall the numbers?  :lol:
If not, I'm sure there are lots of ideas a Boxster forums as to exactly what alignment settings work best. Raza should find these numbers and hand them to the guys at the alignment shop while he's getting his RT-615's mounted.
:cheers:

Middle_Path

Quote from: NACar on March 25, 2008, 12:20:24 PM
Do you recall the numbers?  :lol:
If not, I'm sure there are lots of ideas a Boxster forums as to exactly what alignment settings work best. Raza should find these numbers and hand them to the guys at the alignment shop while he's getting his RT-615's mounted.
:cheers:

Shit, I just deleted my thread on accident. Problem is his generation is different from the one I used. I don't think that's a problem though. Specifically, I don't recall, but I can find out by this weekend and give him the exact digits of PSI, camber, and toe. I remember camber being around -1.8 and PSI around 31. Toe I think was pretty meutral.

The numbers were from a track setup, but it was easily street driveable. He should check the forums, but really that's nothing compared to the local Porsche club racing group. Like $200 a year, pffft. Sign up and go Raza.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Eye of the Tiger

zero toe up front, a hair of toe in in back. set your front camber to -0.5 and your rear camber to -1.7
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12780

sounds good, but i don't know how it compares to stock :huh:

Champ

Falken's are mounted up and in my possession!

Looking forward to it warming up a bit so I can really test them out.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Champ on March 29, 2008, 10:41:29 AM
Falken's are mounted up and in my possession!

Looking forward to it warming up a bit so I can really test them out.

Good for you, sadly i don't think the weather will get above 60 for the next 2 months.

Champ

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 29, 2008, 10:51:00 AM
Good for you, sadly i don't think the weather will get above 60 for the next 2 months.
No doubts there.

I'm going an auto-x school on April 26/27 so hopefully it gets reasonably warm for that.

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 18, 2008, 08:13:20 PM
I think I'll be getting some 225/50/16 Azensis' once I get 8" wide rims.

They will fit on 7s.  My WRX wheels have 225/50/16 tires on them.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!