R.I.P. Taurus X / Freestyle

Started by SVT666, February 20, 2008, 08:22:49 AM

SVT666

Ford to kill Taurus X by 2010
February19

Although the Ford Taurus X has only been on the market since 2005 ? it was marketed under the Freestyle nameplate until last year ? the Dearborn-based automaker could be planning to cease its production by 2010. The Taurus ? the platform on which the Taurus X is built ? will receive a significant refresh by next year, but the Taurus X will not be a part of the redesign.

According to Jalopnik, sales of the Taurus X will end in 14-18 months, meaning the Taurus X will disappear from dealer lots by 2010.

While Ford has yet to make an official announcement about the death of the Taurus X, the news of its demise isn't exactly surprising. Sales of the crossover have been slow, despite the car's renaming and redesign for the 2008 model year.

The upcoming Ford Flex could also be playing a role in the decision not to continue the Taurus X as both vehicles would be redundant for Ford's crossover lineup.

It's really too bad, because I think it's a fantastic car.  So fantastic that we bought one over the myriad of other crossovers.  Too bad Ford never advertised it at all.

Galaxy

What is the difference again between the Edge and the Taurus X? The X is slightly larger right?

the Teuton

Ford hasn't been able to market its big cars for one reason or another.  The car didn't suck.  The design was bland and there was no marketing behind it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on February 20, 2008, 08:32:48 AM
What is the difference again between the Edge and the Taurus X? The X is slightly larger right?

The Freestyle/Taurus X is essentially a wagon version of the Five Hundred/Taurus, all of which are based on the basic Volvo S60 platform. It has three relatively spacious rows of seats.

The Edge only seats five and has roughly the cargo space of the Escape, but actually weighs more than the Taurus X despite providing much less usable space.

I'd consider the Edge one of Ford's weakest products at the moment, so naturally it's the most successful, selling mainly based on its styling and/or to people who don't consider the basic fact that you can get pretty much everything it offers in what would be officially be considered a compact SUV except its physical exterior size. On the other hand, the Freestyle/Taurus X is one of the best cars in its class, so it was naturally a sales flop.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 08:40:45 AM
The Freestyle/Taurus X is essentially a wagon version of the Five Hundred/Taurus, all of which are based on the basic Volvo S60 platform. It has three relatively spacious rows of seats.

The Edge only seats five and has roughly the cargo space of the Escape, but actually weighs more than the Taurus X despite providing much less usable space.

I'd consider the Edge one of Ford's weakest products at the moment, so naturally it's the most successful, selling mainly based on its styling and/or to people who don't consider the basic fact that you can get pretty much everything it offers in what would be officially be considered a compact SUV except its physical exterior size. On the other hand, the Freestyle/Taurus X is one of the best cars in its class, so it was naturally a sales flop.
That pretty much sums it up.

nickdrinkwater

It depends how you define 'good' or 'best in class'.  If a car doesn't meet the wants/needs of customers, I don't think it can be considered class leading.  The Taurus X doesn't seem to have any unique selling points - plenty of cars are big these days.  You need to do more than that and I guess the comparitive success of the Edge would be a testament to that - it might not be quite as practical, but it's more appealing in every other way.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 20, 2008, 09:12:09 AM
It depends how you define 'good' or 'best in class'.  If a car doesn't meet the wants/needs of customers, I don't think it can be considered class leading.  The Taurus X doesn't seem to have any unique selling points - plenty of cars are big these days.  You need to do more than that and I guess the comparitive success of the Edge would be a testament to that - it might not be quite as practical, but it's more appealing in every other way.

One car can be better than another without being more popular. The Freestyle/Taurus X was ignored because it didn't have an eye-catching look, not because there was actually something wrong with it. And an adult-size third row seat is indeed relatively rare in the midsize SUV class, as is the highest score in every crash test conducted.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 09:17:30 AM
One car can be better than another without being more popular. The Freestyle/Taurus X was ignored because it didn't have an eye-catching look, not because there was actually something wrong with it. And an adult-size third row seat is indeed relatively rare in the midsize SUV class, as is the highest score in every crash test conducted.

Yeah that was kind of my point.  Like you said, it seems to be well engineered and spacious.  But if those aren't what the customer wants (i.e. if that is not what they persuaded that they want, by the marketing people), then the car won't sell off the back of that.

Aren't Jeep canning the Commander because no-one wants a big 7-seater 4x4?

FoMoJo

When I was looking at the new Flex at the Auto Show, it struck me that the Taurus X was in direct competition with it.  One of them needs to go.  It should be interesting to see how the Flex styling is accepted.

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 20, 2008, 09:24:34 AM
Yeah that was kind of my point.  Like you said, it seems to be well engineered and spacious.  But if those aren't what the customer wants (i.e. if that is not what they persuaded that they want, by the marketing people), then the car won't sell off the back of that.

People being persuaded that they want one car over another does not make the more popular car better. Is a Camry the best car sold in the United States because the most people bought one?

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 20, 2008, 09:24:34 AM

Ford did little to no marketing for the Freestyle / Taurus X.  I never once saw an ad for one.  We bought it because as far as I'm concerned it's the best in it's class.  The third row is big enough that I'm comfortable sitting back there and I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs.  The car is a very nice drive and returns 28 mpg on the highway.  It is by far the most comfortable long hauler I've ever driven, and despite what the magazines say, the 3.0L V6 and CVT transmission are wonderful.  Off the line it's not very quick, but passing power is in abundance and the CVT is a dream in the mountains where continuous gear hunting is the norm in cars with automatic transmissions.  We love it.  It offers everything everyone with a family wants or needs and does it better then most, if not all, that are in it's class.  The only problem with the car is that it isn't really stylish, but that was the last thing on our minds when buying the car, although we did say we didn't want an ugly car.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 09:31:47 AM
People being persuaded that they want one car over another does not make the more popular car better.

Obviously not.

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 09:31:47 AM
Is a Camry the best car sold in the United States because the most people bought one?

Not in my eyes.  But in the eyes of the people who bought them, it probably is for the money.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 20, 2008, 10:08:00 AM
Obviously not.

Not in my eyes.  But in the eyes of the people who bought them, it probably is for the money.

Even if they didn't actually consider any other cars when they were shopping? You're determining whether a car is good or not based on consumer ignorance?

That can determine whether or not a car is successful, but not whether it's actually a good car.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 10:34:50 AM
Even if they didn't actually consider any other cars when they were shopping? You're determining whether a car is good or not based on consumer ignorance?

That can determine whether or not a car is successful, but not whether it's actually a good car.

No I'm not.  I'm just saying that what we enthusiasts see as good might not be the same as the 'average' family car buyer.

And I wouldn't call it ignorance that determines a car's success.  Ignorance can be part of it, but it's also down to the product and the way it's marketed. 

As the car people we have the benefit of seeing through a lot of that stuff.  But just because someone buys a Camry, doesn't make them ignorant.   If they sat in one and it was a piece of shit, they're not likely to buy it.

Like it or not, much of the appeal of a car is intangible.  It's not all about the side impact protection or how many inches of legroom in the third row of seats.  If everyone wanted that alone we wouldn't be talking about the Taurus X being discontinued.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 08:40:45 AM

A friend of mine bought an Edge, and he was saying how he'd have to get something bigger in a couple of years because his daughters were already running out of legroom (6 and 10, I believe, something like that).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 20, 2008, 10:48:09 AM
No I'm not.  I'm just saying that what we enthusiasts see as good might not be the same as the 'average' family car buyer.

And I wouldn't call it ignorance that determines a car's success.  Ignorance can be part of it, but it's also down to the product and the way it's marketed. 

As the car people we have the benefit of seeing through a lot of that stuff.  But just because someone buys a Camry, doesn't make them ignorant.   If they sat in one and it was a piece of shit, they're not likely to buy it.

Like it or not, much of the appeal of a car is intangible.  It's not all about the side impact protection or how many inches of legroom in the third row of seats.  If everyone wanted that alone we wouldn't be talking about the Taurus X being discontinued.

You can't say what car is better than another after getting experience only in one car. You can say "I like my Camry," but unless you studied its competitors, you can't say "My Camry is the best car for me in its class."

The Edge is selling to people who don't stop to think about why they're getting a midsize SUV; if they only need the space of a small SUV (all the space it offers) they might as well be driving something smaller. But chances are this didn't occur to them, they just liked the look and didn't hate the rest when they test-drove. Not only does that not determine which car is better, but it is also tried-and-true the Chrysler model for short-term success.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 20, 2008, 09:47:31 AM
The only problem with the car is that it isn't really stylish, but that was the last thing on our minds when buying the car, although we did say we didn't want an ugly car.

It isn't ugly or pretty.  It's just kind of bland.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TheIntrepid

I honestly wouldn't mind one of these.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2008, 12:13:04 PM
It isn't ugly or pretty.  It's just kind of bland.
Exactly.  It's not stylish, but it's not ugly by any means.

Hondaboy9602

I looked at one at the auto show it is a nice package. Would be perfect for a family who wants something smaller than a minivan.

NomisR

So in conclusion, if a Ford car is a POS, it sells, and if it's actually a good car, it fails?

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 20, 2008, 02:22:18 PM
So in conclusion, if a Ford car is a POS, it sells, and if it's actually a good car, it fails?

Pretty much.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

When I just typed in "Ford Focus," almost all of them were the European model.  I have to wonder when people will begin to realize that they are buying inferior, outdated products.  The US Focus is ugly, looks too bulky for its 15" wheels, and it's generally nothing new.  Yet I am seeing more of them every day.  Why?

Raza

I've never seen a single new Focus.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2008, 02:42:55 PM

When I just typed in "Ford Focus," almost all of them were the European model.  I have to wonder when people will begin to realize that they are buying inferior, outdated products.  The US Focus is ugly, looks too bulky for its 15" wheels, and it's generally nothing new.  Yet I am seeing more of them every day.  Why?
Because beneath it all it's actually a very good car.  I've driven one and I liked it.  The styling isn't anything I care for, but it's still a very good car.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2008, 02:55:17 PM
I've seen a fair amount of them.

I got that much when you said "Yet I am seeing more of them every day."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 03:07:05 PM
I got that much when you said "Yet I am seeing more of them every day."

Sorry.  I just can't believe that no one in the middle of nowhere has bought one.

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2008, 03:10:35 PM
Sorry.  I just can't believe that no one in the middle of nowhere has bought one.

I haven't seen any at home either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i