Thoughts on the GM Lambda SUVs?

Started by 280Z Turbo, February 20, 2008, 11:57:40 PM

280Z Turbo

Some friends of our family are looking at replacing their 2000 Ford Expedition pretty soon. It's a 4.6L model.

They want something that can carry 4-5 people in comfort. They don't want/need a third row, but I guess that's pretty much standard now on even tiny SUV's. They don't want a lot of frills like sat-nav, leather, 2nd row captain's chairs, etc. They frequently haul around an art show display which fills up the Expedition pretty well.

I'm trying to point them towards the Saturn Outlook/GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse.

I would guess that they would be quicker, quieter, more fuel efficient, more nimble, etc. than the Expedition. On the other hand, the Expedition's interior is surprisingly nice, while the Saturn and GMC's interiors struck me as being a bit cheap. Also, it weighs as much as their truck based Expedition. Where's the beef?! There is also the matter of towing. They have a large trailer that they use in the summer. They are okay with switching to his '98 F-150 for towing, but I guess it would be nice if they didn't have to switch.

They seem to like the Outlook so far, but they haven't driven it yet. How do the Lambdas compare with their more trucklike competitors?

ifcar

I think the Taurus X would work well here. While it's not as vast inside as the GMs, the lower load floor should make it easier to deal with. But either would be a decent choice, and they can always keep the third row folded into the floor.

Of course, a minivan would be by far the better choice, with more second-row space and almost a ridiculous amount of extra cargo space compared to an 00 Expedition or a contemporary midsize SUV. They would also get better mileage and pay less than for a midsize SUV.

omicron

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on February 21, 2008, 05:10:33 AM
I think the Taurus X would work well here. While it's not as vast inside as the GMs, the lower load floor should make it easier to deal with. But either would be a decent choice, and they can always keep the third row folded into the floor.

Of course, a minivan would be by far the better choice, with more second-row space and almost a ridiculous amount of extra cargo space compared to an 00 Expedition or a contemporary midsize SUV. They would also get better mileage and pay less than for a midsize SUV.

I don't know about that.

They already looked at a Pilot and a Freestyle and didn't think it would have enough room.

ifcar

Passenger or cargo room?

The Outlook et al has a lot of cargo space for a midsize SUV, but I imagine the high load floor would make it more cumbersome to deal with. Also, its second-row seat isn't especially comfortable.

Really, a minivan would be ideal for all but their towing, and they do have a truck for that.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 07:24:19 AM
I don't know about that.

They already looked at a Pilot and a Freestyle and didn't think it would have enough room.
How much shit do they carry?  If you leave the third row seats folded flat in the Freestyle / Taurus X the cargo space is massive.  Oh well, that was my suggestion anyway, so I'm outta here. :ohyeah:

nickdrinkwater

I would think the residuals on a Taurus X would be poor compared to the SUVs, now it's being discontinued.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 21, 2008, 08:15:48 AM
How much shit do they carry?  If you leave the third row seats folded flat in the Freestyle / Taurus X the cargo space is massive.  Oh well, that was my suggestion anyway, so I'm outta here. :ohyeah:

A lot of shit. An entire art show booth.

Like I said, it fills up their cavernous Ford Expedition pretty well.

I'm just wondering how Lambda SUV's compare to the Expedition, Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia, etc.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on February 21, 2008, 07:34:44 AM

Really, a minivan would be ideal for all but their towing, and they do have a truck for that.

They won't get a minivan. I guarantee it. They're too ugly.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 08:49:12 AM

I'm just wondering how Lambda SUV's compare to the Expedition, Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia, etc.
I say they should just buy another Expedition since it's the best full size SUV on the market (at least until it's compared to the Sequoia).

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 08:49:12 AM

In terms of cargo space, it compares well. In terms of five-passenger comfort, it's not so hot.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 21, 2008, 09:00:13 AM
I say they should just buy another Expedition since it's the best full size SUV on the market (at least until it's compared to the Sequoia).

I wasn't impressed with the Toyota and neither were they. It just looks cheap and gray inside.

What makes you think the Expedition is better than the Tahoe or Armada?

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 09:07:49 AM
I wasn't impressed with the Toyota and neither were they. It just looks cheap and gray inside.

The new Sequoia, or the first gen model?

The Tahoe doesn't have much space, and the Armada is noisier and not as comfortable.

280Z Turbo

Keep in mind that what they have now is a 2000 Expedition 4.6L. Even the worst SUV on the market is probably as good as that.

I priced them out as they would likely order them:

$35,615 for the Expedition
$39,785.00 - $3,000.00 = $36,785.00 for Tahoe
And the Outlook is closer to $30K

Maybe they should look into the Expedition some more.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: omicron on February 21, 2008, 06:38:25 AM

You're suggesting a vehicle which is neither appropriate nor sold in the USA?

Further proof that there is only a vague correlation between Omi's posts and reality.

Hondaboy9602

I was impressed with the new GM Lambda SUVs. Unlike most midsize SUVs/CUVs the third row can be used by adults. It should have a lot of room for cargo when all the seats are down. I also thought the interior was pretty nice, I looked at the Outlook. I would go with a minivan over one of the Lambda SUVs, but since they won't buy one the Lambda SUVs are a good choice.

ifcar

Even if you don't think they'd go with a minivan, I'd recommend at least explaining that it's the best way they'll get enough space without dealing with the same fuel consumption and bulkiness they're used to, and that minivans are significantly less money than large SUVs or midsize crossovers.

akuma_supreme

When I looked at the Lambda SUVs at the Phoenix auto show last autumn, I was as impressed with them as I was disappointed.  The thing that really struck me about their interiors is how easily they got dirty.  After just a few hours on the floor of the auto show, the Outlook I looked at was filthy, and had scratches across most of the interior surfaces.

I'd vote for the Edge, but that might be too small.  Another nice choice might be the new Highlander.

280Z Turbo

No way. The Edge won't work. The rear hatch cuts into the cargo space too much. I think the Lambdas are the only crossovers that will work for them.

Bear in mind that they also frequently haul around a large dog cage for a yellow lab.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 09:07:49 AM
According to every comparo I've ever read and my own test drives of both, I say the Expedition is the best full size SUV on the market...bar none.

I always found their quad exhausts to be a tacky touch.  But they looked very well styled.  From what I heard though, the CX-9's are great/better vehicles.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 565 on February 21, 2008, 06:24:38 PM
I always found their quad exhausts to be a tacky touch.  But they looked very well styled.  From what I heard though, the CX-9's are great/better vehicles.

I tried to talk them into the CX-9, but the wife isn't into it. She doesn't like the look.

MX793

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 08:50:40 AM
They won't get a minivan. I guarantee it. They're too ugly.

That's an odd thing to say about people who are supposedly family friends.  And I wasn't aware that ugly people couldn't get minivans.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

omicron

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 21, 2008, 12:21:35 PM
You're suggesting a vehicle which is neither appropriate nor sold in the USA?

Further proof that there is only a vague correlation between Omi's posts and reality.

Omi's a twat. Don't mind him.

akuma_supreme

Quote from: omicron on February 21, 2008, 09:40:41 PM
Omi's a twat. Don't mind him.

I'm liking you more and more with each post. :thumbsup:

Secret Chimp

Get an Outback. Even Top Gear likes it :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 22, 2008, 10:56:36 AM
Get an Outback. Even Top Gear likes it :P

If they said a Pilot isn't big enough, how could an Outback work?

280Z Turbo

On the other hand, they said they were willing to downsize if necessary.

They used to use a 1991 Ford Explorer as their art show cargo carrier.

I think another Expedition would work well, but I don't know if they're willing to pay $5000 more than the Outlook. Plus, the new Expedition would likely get worse gas mileage than their 2000 4.6L model.

ifcar

If they're willing to downsize yet they rejected the Pilot for being too small, they can't be willing to downsize very far.

280Z Turbo

We'll see.

The Expedition and the Outlook look like the frontrunners to me.