Pet peaves on the road

Started by rohan, February 23, 2008, 10:59:02 PM

Catman

People who enter the highway at 30mph. :rolleyes:

CALL_911

People who have cars with excellent sounding motors but do not go WOT for me to hear them. :rage:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Nebtek2002

People who pull out from the stop sign/parking lot/ driveway before I'm quite through the intersection. This might be slightly justifiable in situations where the driver has waited a long time and the gap between  another long string of cars and me is small, but I can have nothing behind me and these idiots are halfway to colliding with my rear quarter in nothing flat.

One idiot leaped out of a parking lot when my driver's door was even with him. Had I been the skittish sort and hesitated or braked right then, he would have hit me where I was most vulnerable. One of the advantages of trying to keep > the minimum 2 seconds interval between me and the car in front is that I had room in which to nail the gas.

Again, next car behind me was a good 1/2 block away. The idiot coulda, shoulda done things right.

Rupert

I don't like drivers who don't bother to check for bicycles before they turn, or who don't care about the bike that they have seen. I also don't like drivers who stop to let bikes cross in front of them. In fact, any driver who doesn't respect bikes and their status as a mode of transportation (as opposed to a toy) gets my goat (and my finger and some really mean words).

Also, left-lane campers and etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on February 24, 2008, 01:15:11 PM

I got stuck behind one of those idiots not too long ago in the acceleration lane to I-95.  I had to strongly accelerate and go to the middle lane once we got on the highway to get away from this person.  Luckily, the traffic wasn't heavy.  People like that ought to stay off the highways.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sandertheshark

People in general piss me off.

The Pirate

Yeah, I can't stand those people.  When I'm stuck behind somebody like that, I'll fall back a bit, so I have some space to gun it up to speed, and merge as soon as I can (hopefully ahead of the dumbass).

On a somewhat related note (had this happen to me today), people that see a small break in traffic and make the turn, then leisurely accelerate up to speed really suck.  Jeez, that one really burns my ass.  You see a break and want to take it, fine.  But be prepared to get your car up to the speed of traffic as soon as possible.  It should not take a 1/2 mile to work your way up to 40 mph.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on February 24, 2008, 03:12:08 PM
I don't like drivers who don't bother to check for bicycles before they turn, or who don't care about the bike that they have seen. I also don't like drivers who stop to let bikes cross in front of them. In fact, any driver who doesn't respect bikes and their status as a mode of transportation (as opposed to a toy) gets my goat (and my finger and some really mean words).

Also, left-lane campers and etc.

Get the fuck off the road, you slow poke hippie!! :rage: :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 24, 2008, 04:21:18 PM
Get the fuck off the road, you slow poke hippie!! :rage: :lol:

When I used to ride a lot, I was able to keep up with traffic fairly easily (on my road bike) on residential type streets.  With some congestion, I was easily quicker than cars.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on February 24, 2008, 04:27:15 PM
When I used to ride a lot, I was able to keep up with traffic fairly easily (on my road bike) on residential type streets.  With some congestion, I was easily quicker than cars.

Verily. I brake more than cars do going through downtown so I don't pass them and get nailed by some idiot who's trying to park.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Lazerous

Quote from: 93JC on February 24, 2008, 01:07:49 PM
People who think

and

mean the same thing as

:rage:

Oh yes, we have a couple those here and people always stop! It annoys me to no end!

Lazerous

I hate being stuck behind those people while I am also trying to enter the highway.

Rupert

A little while ago, I was behind these Canadians as I was trying to get on the freeway. It was pretty late, so there, luckily, weren't any other cars. These guys were merging at about 35 mph, and I was naturally right behind them, waiting to dart past. We got on the freeway, and I went to check my blind spot. When I turned my head back, these idiots were slowing to a stop, right in the middle of the lane! WTF? I swerved and passed them, and they actually honked at me!

CALL_911

Here's another one:

It's "Pet Peeve", not "Pet Peave".

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2008, 05:38:16 PM
Here's another one:

It's "Pet Peeve", not "Pet Peave".
Here is another one, people who think they are the grammar police.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

James Young

Without the grammar police, the world would quickly sink into anarchy of words, people would decide what those words mean and then change that meaning!  Without the grammar police, there would be chaos.  You all need the grammar police to lend order to your miserable little worlds. :evildude:
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2008, 12:49:36 PM
Forget to turn on their taillights? :confused:

He probably means lights.  It's the combination of high powered DRLs and gauge lights that stay on all the time.  For example, my DRLs run at 80% brightness; I could conceivably run at night without ever turning my lights on if I had gauge lights that were on.  I think he's talking about people that don't realize their lights are actually off even though their cluster is lit up and their headlights are on.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: James Young on February 24, 2008, 06:45:19 PM
Without the grammar police, the world would quickly sink into anarchy of words, people would decide what those words mean and then change that meaning!  Without the grammar police, there would be chaos.  You all need the grammar police to lend order to your miserable little worlds. :evildude:
I agree.  Same applies to traffic police. ;)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Crosswire3

If people are decent drivers then I have no business with them as they get along just fine.  When they go out of their way to annoy you it's rather fun to play with them for a bit.  Today I had countless entertaining encounters on my way back to school.  My favorites are the young ricer types who are obviously highly skilled drivers piloting the pinnacle of human engineering.

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2008, 11:12:21 PM
I have had much worse encounters with tailgaters. I really like to fuck with them.

My favorite thing to do on a two-lane is to slow waaaaaay down, and then blast off in second gear leaving them 50 yards or more behind.  Repeat as necessary till they get the effing point.

S204STi

Oh boy that pisses me off...nothing worse that hitting the end of a long exit ramp only doing 1/2 the speed of the traffic you're trying to merge with.  It brings out my worst road rage tendencies...

Byteme

1.  Tailgaters. 

2.  People who practically come to a stop when making a right turn, either off of the roadway into a parking lot or onto an intersecting street.

3.  People who apparently keep their left foot on the the brake pedal.  You see their brake lights constantly going on and off for no apparent reason.

4.  People who sit on a side road and watch you coming down an otherwise empty two lane highway at 70 MPH and then casually pull out in front of you when you get close.  Rural Arkansas is famous for this.

Lazerous

Oh here is another one, people who continue to tailgate you when you have a turn signal on and the road you want to turn into is coming up.

MaxPower

Quote from: rohan on February 23, 2008, 10:59:02 PM
Self explanitory title

Mine is the fail to dim highs I'ld like to drill a golf ball into their heads and everyone of them I find gets tickets.

See you're lucky...if someone violates one of your pet peeves, you can pull him over and get immediate relief!

'Course people probably drive like angels when there's a cruiser around...

sandertheshark

Quote from: hounddog on February 24, 2008, 05:55:59 PM
Here is another one, people who think they are the grammar police.

That comma should be a colon.

Laconian

People that run out a merging lane to the very last foot and then barrel into the adjacent lane out of panic.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

L. ed foote

Quote from: Catman on February 24, 2008, 11:19:06 AM
I agree, I can't stand obstructors whether its a left lane camper, someone hogging the whole lane when waiting to turn left or even people who need to run into the store at the gas station while leaving their car at the pump.  :lockedup:

And to piggyback on the pump issue, those who don't pull up to the first available open pump.
Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

When parking, I don't mind giving up my space when leaving, just position your vehicle so that I can exit the spot safely.

When pulling up to a tollbooth, please have your $$ ready.

If you are unsure of where you are, put on your hazards, and pull over to the right.

If you are in the merging lane, and you see cars attempting to enter the highway, and there's no one in the traffic or passing lane, move to the left.

Leave bus lanes open; a bus shouldn't be in the middle of the street (un)loading passengers because your dumb ass is too lazy to walk a few yards.

When parked, look for traffic before you open your passenger door.

When a bus is unloading passengers, watch for them; or you'll be surprised while passing the bus.

In NYC, we have a lot of pedestrians who wear dark colors at night.  That bugs me.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on February 24, 2008, 01:07:49 PM
People who think

and

mean the same thing as

:rage:

OMG seriously :rage:

those people make me wish that I had a push bar on my front bumper so I can start nudging them forward :devil:

VTEC_Inside

I followed a lady home the other day.

We were facing each other at a four way stop and I had my signal on to turn right. She was pointed to go in the same direction as myself, but no signal. Since we both kinda stopped at the same I made a point of starting to turn just as she did just to play dumb.

Of course that got me some weird looks, as she continued through her turn so I just followed her. 1, 2, 3, 4 successive turns without a signal light and then finally a signal into her drive way.

I passed by, did a u-turn, and stopped on the side of the street right behind her... (All of this very calmly, I never yelled or got agressive)

Me: "Five turns and you used your signal lights once???"
Her: "Yeah whats your point?"
Me: "Um, while we were facing each other at an intersection, how do I know you were turning?"
Her: "Why were you riding my ass", blah blah, starts becoming incoherent..
Me: "I wasn't riding your ass, just following." I really wasn't...
Her: No repsonse. Shes getting like 4 kids out of her van and some other shit...
Me: "Listen, I don't want to cause shit, it just annoys the hell out of me when people don't use their signals..."
Her: Ignoring me at this point.

At that I drove off home.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...