E90 BMW 3 Series Turbo Spy Shots

Started by BMWDave, July 13, 2005, 04:42:35 PM

BMWDave

THESE ARENT MINE-THEY ARE FROM BIMMERFEST FORUMS, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Pics""After posting: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=104134 , The same evening I was strolling thru beautiful downtown Bishop, CA and spied the motherlode of BMW test products staying at the Best Western (Note: free fish freezing). Almost the entire parking lot was filled with with BMW products with manufacturer plates (there was even a Rolls)....so I went back this morning and took some more pics  .""

If you look at the interior pics of the dual exhaust 3er's the tach goes to 7K - so it is probably not a diesel, but a few of them had a boost/PSI gauge - so whoever said "turbo" might have been correct? Hmmm.....turbo+trailer hitch?

Pics

Pics

Link

Pics

Pics

Pics

Pics

Pics

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

335ti?  That's the 3er to buy.  Who needs an M3?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Someone here gets all the spy shot luck. Any guesses on who it isn't? :(

BMWDave

QuoteSomeone here gets all the spy shot luck. Any guesses on who it isn't? :(
I put the paragraph in quotes...these arent mine...they are from bimmerfest or something.  I found the thread on Autoweek.  Perhaps I should have made this more clear.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I put the paragraph in quotes...these arent mine...they are from bimmerfest or something.  I found the thread on Autoweek.  Perhaps I should have made this more clear.
Bah. You still get more luck than anyone else here, even without this.  :lol:  

BMWDave

Bah. You still get more luck than anyone else here, even without this.  :lol:
lol :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I thought BMW was going to stay away from turbocharging...

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuoteI thought BMW was going to stay away from turbocharging...
In the 7er.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

BMWDave

QuoteIs this the first FI Bimmer?
There is already a FI Bimmer in the form of the 535d.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

and the 2002 i think?

BMWDave

and the 2002 i think?
The 2002 wasnt FI.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

and the 2002 i think?
The 2002 wasnt FI.
Nope.

BMWDave

and the 2002 i think?
The 2002 wasnt FI.
Nope.
The 2002 Turbo was unveiled at the 1973 Frankfurt auto show, and only 1672 cars were built in 1973 and 1974.  But the 2002 that came earlier in the 60s, the one that put BMW on the map, was the naturally aspirated 2002.

Additionally, the 2002 Turbo was never certified for US sales.

2007 Honda S2000

Fire It Up

but there was a turbo model.... <_<  

BMWDave

Quotebut there was a turbo model.... <_<
It only came later, and was not certified for sale in the US.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

You guys are forgetting about the E30 Turbo M3

BMWDave

QuoteYou guys are forgetting about the E30 Turbo M3
There was also an M3 that was naturally aspirated.  BMW made a number of EVO II and EVO III M3s which were more tuned for track and may have had the turbo.  I have to check it up.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteYou guys are forgetting about the E30 Turbo M3
There was also an M3 that was naturally aspirated.  BMW made a number of EVO II and EVO III M3s which were more tuned for track and may have had the turbo.  I have to check it up.
I'm talking about the Sport Evolution. was that sold here?

sportyaccordy

From what I know there were never any OEM turbo M3s, which makes the MKI M3 that much more impressive...230 or so hp from a 2.5L 4-banger would be impressive now, so the fact that they could do that in a street car 15 or so years ago blows my mind. That M3 is why MB's AMG cars are all automatic V8 high-speed cruisers...remember the 190E 2.3 EVO or whatever it was called?  

Raza

That M3 was impressive, yes, but the reason AMG cars are automatics is completely different.  Mercedes says it's because of the nature and character of the cars and their buyers, and up until recently, truly, it was because Benz's manual sucked (rubbery, vague, long, not fun to use) and couldn't handle the power.  The new one is much better, with a precise shift action and short throws (better than an Audi shifter, which I quite like), but I don't know how much power it can handle.  I'd love to see a C55 AMG with a 6 speed stick.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteThat M3 was impressive, yes, but the reason AMG cars are automatics is completely different.  Mercedes says it's because of the nature and character of the cars and their buyers, and up until recently, truly, it was because Benz's manual sucked (rubbery, vague, long, not fun to use) and couldn't handle the power.  The new one is much better, with a precise shift action and short throws (better than an Audi shifter, which I quite like), but I don't know how much power it can handle.  I'd love to see a C55 AMG with a 6 speed stick.
I dont think MB would put a stick in their AMG cars, as its been tradition now that only automatics get put in.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

The only reason it is a tradition is because their manuals sucked, until now anyway. I don't think we will ever see a manual E55, but manual versions of the CLK55, C55, and SLK55 could happen.  

Raza

QuoteThe only reason it is a tradition is because their manuals sucked, until now anyway. I don't think we will ever see a manual E55, but manual versions of the CLK55, C55, and SLK55 could happen.
The CLK is less likely than the C55 and SLK55, because the CLK is more of a "stately" and "classy" automobile than the other two, and is priced very highly.  I would never buy the CLK55, though...the C55 has the same power, suspension, weight (less, even, I think), trans, and more room, and it's 20 grand cheaper.  The CLK needs the supercharged V8 to be considered anything but an image car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

I guess I'll elaborate somewhat...MB's first 'real' AMG car, the 190E 2.3-16 was basically a homogolated (sp?) race car for the DTM class the M3 was in. For whatever reason the MB wasn't as competitive as the M3, and for a while AMG had no hand in any official MB cars until the 500E, which was still 33x more luxurious than its counterpart, the E34 M5. I think that MB appealed to a less hardcore audience than the BMW M crowd for various reasons, but it all stemmed from the 190E 2.3-16/E30 M3 battle. Plus MB's volume car, the E-class (unless I'm mistaken), has never been a sporty car, and has been pretty representative of the company, as the 3-series was for BMW. The 190/C-class has never caught on or taken any #1 spots in comparison w/the 3-series.

Raza

QuoteI guess I'll elaborate somewhat...MB's first 'real' AMG car, the 190E 2.3-16 was basically a homogolated (sp?) race car for the DTM class the M3 was in. For whatever reason the MB wasn't as competitive as the M3, and for a while AMG had no hand in any official MB cars until the 500E, which was still 33x more luxurious than its counterpart, the E34 M5. I think that MB appealed to a less hardcore audience than the BMW M crowd for various reasons, but it all stemmed from the 190E 2.3-16/E30 M3 battle. Plus MB's volume car, the E-class (unless I'm mistaken), has never been a sporty car, and has been pretty representative of the company, as the 3-series was for BMW. The 190/C-class has never caught on or taken any #1 spots in comparison w/the 3-series.
I think the C class is the volume car, just because of price, and the sheer amount of iterations available in Europe and what not.  

It's homologation (or in your case, homologated), by the way.  Pretty close.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i