Lotus Sport Exige 240R

Started by BMWDave, July 14, 2005, 05:36:39 AM

BMWDave

Lotus Sport Exige 240R  

Let's face it: while the Exige is a sports car enthusiasts' dream, it is not above criticism. For example, the 1.8-litre Toyota engine has to be worked very hard to enjoy the best of its performance. And despite those track car looks, the Lotus' chassis lacks the adjustability which circuit drivers crave.

Now, the firm has found a way around the foibles by fitting a supercharger, to boost power from 189bhp to 243bhp. Along with other upgrades, this is aimed at making the limited-edition 240R the ultimate trackday car.

Its lowered suspension has adjustable dampers, while at the front the unique alloys are half-an-inch wider than the basic Exige's. There are also new race-spec brakes, plus a special oil pump to prevent the engine running dry during extreme cornering. The model does not lack luxury, though, as air-con and two-tone trim come as standard inside. But despite these touches, the 240R is clearly for hard driving. There is a real sense of occasion as you nestle into the sports seats, clip together the four-point harness, then fire up the engine.

At idle, the motor sounds more potent than the standard car's, helped by the whine of the supercharger mounted neatly on the engine behind you. The linear power delivery does not immediately give a sensation of explosive acceleration, but the extra low-down urge is both welcome and effective.

Use all 8,000rpm and the little Lotus delivers incredible pace, with a claimed 9.9-second 0-100mph time. It impresses with extraordinary grip, agility and ride quality, despite the firmer suspension. The sole downside to the 240R is that the company will build only 50 of them - and they are already sold. Still, Lotus' Sport division plans to offer the supercharger kit as an aftermarket option, making the Exige one of the cheapest ways into supercar ownership.
Brett Fraser

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

I really like the 240R's.

BMWDave

QuoteI really like the 240R's.
Dont we all :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

i like the regular one better.

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

QuoteIt's tight.
Tight like that new sig.  :o  :lol:  :lol:  

R33 GT-R

QuoteIt's tight.
Tight like that new sig.  :o  :lol:  :lol:
Boo Ya!

:lol:  

Secret Chimp

I don't understand why they give this thing a different name when it's just an Elise variant.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

QuoteI don't understand why they give this thing a different name when it's just an Elise variant.
240 is probably for the HP (243) and the R is probably for racing.  That's the only reason they name it different that I can think of.  If they just called it the Elise 240R that would work just as well...but oh well.

RS200

Exige has always been the race-car type of Elise. I want this car so so bad it's disgusting. With a pulley and a few other doo-dads, it could hit at least 30hp more. Whatever happened to the other Exige Sport, the one with the light-weight, high-revving 400hp Chevy V6?

giant_mtb

QuoteExige has always been the race-car type of Elise. I want this car so so bad it's disgusting. With a pulley and a few other doo-dads, it could hit at least 30hp more. Whatever happened to the other Exige Sport, the one with the light-weight, high-revving 400hp Chevy V6?
Is that the stripped-down one?

SJ_GTI

Coupe = Exige
Open Top = Elise

Raghavan

QuoteExige has always been the race-car type of Elise. I want this car so so bad it's disgusting. With a pulley and a few other doo-dads, it could hit at least 30hp more. Whatever happened to the other Exige Sport, the one with the light-weight, high-revving 400hp Chevy V6?
yes. the ultra fast one.

TBR

QuoteCoupe = Exige
Open Top = Elise
Yep, so according to Raza's definition of sports car the Exige is a grand tourer. :rolleyes:  

R33 GT-R

Only if taken to the 3rd power.

Raza

QuoteI don't understand why they give this thing a different name when it's just an Elise variant.
240 is probably for the HP (243) and the R is probably for racing.  That's the only reason they name it different that I can think of.  If they just called it the Elise 240R that would work just as well...but oh well.
There've been 111S and the 111R, so the R has been around.  The Exige is fundamentally different than the Elise since it's got a hard top, a larger fixed wing, and more power.  It's a different car than the Elise.  The CL is essentially an S class coupe, but it's got a different model designation.  The Elise and Exige are at least as different as those two are.  One's a sports car, one's a GT/track car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

yes. the ultra fast one.
Is that the one that only has like half the body panels?