EVO magazine Z06 vs R8 vs GT3 vs GT-R, SCANS up

Started by 565, March 04, 2008, 08:32:27 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 17, 2008, 11:20:15 AM
Sorry guys.  Got this last week but hadn't got around to posting it.

For anyone who hasn't got time to read, the GT-R was pitted against the Z06 in a drag race, R8 on the road, and the GT3 on the track.  It won in all three categories.

That's surprising, considering the GT-R was only given 4.5 stars and the R8 and GT3 are both 5 star cars, as I recall. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2008, 07:40:32 PM
That's surprising, considering the GT-R was only given 4.5 stars and the R8 and GT3 are both 5 star cars, as I recall. 

Evo has now changed the rating to a full 5 stars.

sportyaccordy

Tell me what fits in here:

????

I just feel like the novelty of the GT-R's technological prowess would wear off, whereas a more mechanical car would have more a more enduring character over the length of it's existence. You don't even have to learn the GT-R it seems like. Where's the fun in that?

Raza

Quote from: 565 on March 17, 2008, 08:14:28 PM
Evo has now changed the rating to a full 5 stars.

We'll see how it stacks up next year at eCoty and RaTCoty.  This year, the GT3 RS won both.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 17, 2008, 08:15:08 PM

I just feel like the novelty of the GT-R's technological prowess would wear off, whereas a more mechanical car would have more a more enduring character over the length of it's existence. You don't even have to learn the GT-R it seems like. Where's the fun in that?

I want you to drive all of those cars, and that computer, before pass judgement on the GT-R.  :devil:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 17, 2008, 08:15:08 PM

I dunno I would say the GT-R's of past racked up a pretty decent fan base too.

FlatBlackCaddy

I love how people talk about the GT-R like it's some simple point and shoot electronic error free driving experience.

1. Driving any car at the limit is hard, the GT-R can be put in the ditch or slammed into a wall at a track just as easily as anything else.

2. (and my favorite) the previous GT-R's were no less advanced technologically, the R34's Attessa system was one of if not the most advanced AWD systems available.

3. none of you has driven these cars, yet people catagorize them based on their mechanical feel and a higher level of required driver input.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd have just as much fun driving a new GT-R as i would driving a hayabusa powered locust 7.

EVO article really deserves a read because it's such an interesting article.  Really shows off the GTR's strengths in each situation.  It also shows how well written european automagazines are compared to our American ones.  Alot more description included.

Here it is for those too lazy to click the previous links.

FlatBlackCaddy

It was a fantastic read, and it was also one more(big) notch in the GT-R's belt. This car is universally praised, every bit of it. It's not as light as a Z06, or as hard edged as a GT3 or a eye turner like the R8 but it is a marvel in it's own ways and as stated a true game changer.

I'm sure your tired of hearing it, but i'll ask again.

So 565, you ready to pick one up yet? :lol:

Hell i'm about ready to dump the 300ZX and the EVO and buy one of these things.

I also can only imagine what the "vspec" will be like.

FlatBlackCaddy

Also, that thing is hot in black(what isn't). Certainly the best color i've seen it in so far.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2008, 08:46:47 PM
I'm sure your tired of hearing it, but i'll ask again.

So 565, you ready to pick one up yet? :lol:

Hell i'm about ready to dump the 300ZX and the EVO and buy one of these things.

I also can only imagine what the "vspec" will be like.

Damn I totally want one now, but I'm not gonna pay a huge amount of markup because I simply can't afford it.  If I dump the Z06 for aobut 25k that still leaves 45k to go without markup.  I will say I will eventually own a GTR though.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 565 on March 17, 2008, 08:49:44 PM
Damn I totally want one now, but I'm not gonna pay a huge amount of markup because I simply can't afford it.  If I dump the Z06 for aobut 25k that still leaves 45k to go without markup.  I will say I will eventually own a GTR though.

Lets go half, we can park it at my house....and i'll drive it monday through saturday and you can have sunday and weeknights after 9PM.

I'll draw up the paperwork.

FlatBlackCaddy

The more i read about this thing the harder it is to not have one sitting in the garage.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2008, 08:50:59 PM
Lets go half, we can park it at my house....and i'll drive it monday through saturday and you can have sunday and weeknights after 9PM.

I'll draw up the paperwork.

I want in. I have $253

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2008, 08:53:02 PM
I want in. I have $253

That will buy you feb 29th from 330 AM to 335AM.

I'll PM you the address to send the money.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2008, 08:25:10 PM
I'd have just as much fun driving a new GT-R as i would driving a hayabusa powered locust 7.

Just skimming, they say that the R8 has better feedback and the GT3 is more fun.  All comments about the GT-R I saw are related to how fast it is. 

:huh:

The Z06 managed to hit 60mph in 3.1 seconds.  I wouldn't really care about that extra .1 second.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2008, 08:53:02 PM
I want in. I have $253

We need a forum GTR, if all 441 members pay 158 dollars, we can get one.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2008, 08:54:55 PM
That will buy you feb 29th from 330 AM to 335AM.

I'll PM you the address to send the money.

No, I have a hair appointment then. Can we do tomorrow, instead?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2008, 08:55:52 PM
Just skimming, they say that the R8 has better feedback and the GT3 is more fun.  All comments about the GT-R I saw are related to how fast it is. 

The Z06 managed to hit 60mph in 3.1 seconds.  I wouldn't really care about that extra .1 second.

Maybe you should read the whole thing. I remember praise for every car, but in no way was the GT-R just "fast".

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 565 on March 17, 2008, 08:56:19 PM
We need a forum GTR, if all 441 members pay 158 dollars, we can get one.

cool

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NACar on March 17, 2008, 08:58:14 PM
cool
Since MN is between both coasts and between the southern US and canada i should put it in my garage were everyone can access it easily.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 17, 2008, 08:57:47 PM

Maybe you should read the whole thing. I remember praise for every car, but in no way was the GT-R just "fast".

I can't read long passages on a computer screen.  I'll wait until I pick up my own copy. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on March 17, 2008, 09:00:13 PM
I can't read long passages on a computer screen.  I'll wait until I pick up my own copy. 

You do that, it should give you plenty of time to come up with reasons to justify your personal preference.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 565 on March 17, 2008, 08:21:35 PM
I dunno I would say the GT-R's of past racked up a pretty decent fan base too.

Original GT-R was the best IMO

But the R32 in the context of this discussion was great as well, still a 3200-3300# car packed with technology, but still somewhat real

I dunno. I think it's just too much, I'd rather have something like the GT3. It's an accomplishment no doubt, prob. very fun to drive, but it seems soulless.

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't think i've ever driven a car with a "soul".

My 83 Porsche 944 didn't have one
My 96 300ZX doesn't have one
My EVO doesn't have one

You know all this talk about sharing a GTR makes one wonder how wonderful it would be to have an affordable time sharing service for semi affordable sports cars.  We've all heard about those supercar clubs that stock high priced exotics with a team of dedicated mechanics and a luxury spa and racetrack with a huge huge price to boot.  What about a cheaper version for the average Joe stocking affordable performance cars like Corvette's, Miata's, S2000's, EVO's etc etc.  Owning the same sports car gets a bit boring after a while, and if you have a large collection of cars, you can't really use all of them at once.  I would be great the cycle through 10-15 affordable sports cars throughout the year.