Subaru Impreza WRX v VW Golf R32

Started by cawimmer430, March 05, 2008, 02:47:19 AM

cawimmer430

Short MSN review...

Subaru Impreza WRX v VW Golf R32

What we have here are two cars that are hard to justify buying, both overshadowed by other models from the same range.
The cars are stymied by a triumvirate of badge initials, STI in the case of the Impreza, and of course the legendary combination of GTI for the Golf.
The latter case must be particularly galling for VW's marketing men. The GTI is the cheaper, less powerful option, yet the R32 - the supposed halo model - has never fired the imagination of enthusiasts in the same way. The previous generation four-wheel drive Golf was also something of a stopgap solution to criticism that the GTI of the time was simply too underpowered and uninvolving. That all changed with the introduction of the latest iteration which addressed those problems and then some, instantly becoming the everyman hot-hatch once again. In contrast, the Impreza has always been something of a sleeper.
Forget the baseball cap wearing youths who use them to cruise regional town centres, the core of the Impreza's customer base has always come from rural communities. It is, quite rightly, regarded as one of the most capable and reliable cars available. Its power added to the security of all-wheel drive wrapped up in a sensible saloon or estate body also made it one of the most versatile. But has it lost some of that appeal in moving to a five-door format and will it no longer stand-out as the considered choice against the more obvious Golf?

"The Golf is the once in a lifetime runner, the Impreza is the dedicated gym goer."

Engine
2.5-litre 4-cyl turbo

Power (bhp)

Torque (lb/ft)

0-62mph (secs)

Top speed (mph)

Combined MPG

CO2 (g/km)/tax (%)
246/35

List price
?19,995

"The R32 burbles like a Max Power Nova - without the need for a Halfords visit."

Engine
3.2-litre V6 petrol

Power (bhp)

Torque (lb/ft)

0-62mph (secs)

Top speed (mph)

Combined MPG

CO2 (g/km)/tax (%)
255/35

List price
?24,845

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

nickdrinkwater

I'd take the VW.  Even though the R32 is an old man's car.  I'm surprised the R32 can't do more than 130mph though, I think those stats might be wrong.

AltinD

I am seeing a well lot of R32, on Saturday alone I saw 3 - 4. The MkIV R32 was a rare car while this new one ... anyway considering that 60 - 70 % of the Golf V I see are actually GTI models, it shouldn't be as surprise.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

nickdrinkwater

The new R32 is definitely more popular than the old one.  Doesn't look anywhere near as extreme though.

SVT666

The latest comparo in one of the mags pitted the R32 vs. the STi and the EVO.  The STi was last, the R32 next and the EVO barely edged it out for 1st.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 05, 2008, 05:52:36 AM
I'd take the VW.  Even though the R32 is an old man's car.  I'm surprised the R32 can't do more than 130mph though, I think those stats might be wrong.

I think that is the WRX that is 130, and the R32 is 155.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 05, 2008, 05:55:56 AM
The new R32 is definitely more popular than the old one.  Doesn't look anywhere near as extreme though.

As you may or may not know, here in the US, we don't get one with a manual transmission.  Shame.

As you probably know, the R32 ran Top Gear's track as quick or quicker than a last generation STI, and a full three seconds faster than the MkIV R32.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Raza  on March 05, 2008, 11:03:33 AM
As you may or may not know, here in the US, we don't get one with a manual transmission.  Shame.

As you probably know, the R32 ran Top Gear's track as quick or quicker than a last generation STI, and a full three seconds faster than the MkIV R32.

What's the point in a hot hatch/performance car with an auto?!

Yeah, the R32 is a bloody quick.  It just doesn't look it.  Whereas the old R32 stood out over the GTI, this one doesn't except for the grille.

the Teuton

I think I'd pick the WRX out of the two for basically two reasons and two reasons only:  AWD and 4-door utility.  Besides that, the VW has been touted as a better all-around driver by most mags.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on March 06, 2008, 08:53:02 AM
I think I'd pick the WRX out of the two for basically two reasons and two reasons only:  AWD and 4-door utility.  Besides that, the VW has been touted as a better all-around driver by most mags.

You can get the R32 is a 5-door, which you could compare against the WRX 5-Door or 4-Door depending on where you were.

The R32 and the WRX are both 4WD.

the Teuton

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 06, 2008, 09:04:17 AM
You can get the R32 is a 5-door, which you could compare against the WRX 5-Door or 4-Door depending on where you were.

The R32 and the WRX are both 4WD.

I don't think we get the R32 5-door here.

But I see your point.  Unfortunately, it's a bit more expensive than a WRX in the states.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 06, 2008, 03:17:55 AM
What's the point in a hot hatch/performance car with an auto?!

Yeah, the R32 is a bloody quick.  It just doesn't look it.  Whereas the old R32 stood out over the GTI, this one doesn't except for the grille.

It runs the six speed DSG, which is an option on the UK R32, I believe. 

Whenever I see a new one, I can tell the difference.  But I do like the black front of the GTI better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

For the money, the STI has better straight-line performance, seems to handle pretty much the same, and is more comfortable/rides better than the R32 (which is a stunning reversal).  Basically the STI manages to be just as quick but far more liveable than before, which makes it more appealing to me.  I love driving the previous STI, but it's far too harsh for long drives.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on March 06, 2008, 10:41:19 PM
For the money, the STI has better straight-line performance, seems to handle pretty much the same, and is more comfortable/rides better than the R32 (which is a stunning reversal).  Basically the STI manages to be just as quick but far more liveable than before, which makes it more appealing to me.  I love driving the previous STI, but it's far too harsh for long drives.

The last STI was dull to drive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on March 06, 2008, 10:45:16 PM

Ok...

The Passat getting a bit hard-core lately?  =)

S204STi

Huh, I just realized this was a comparo between the plain WRX and the R32...no contest, the WRX wins.  For the money it's a much better choice.  A quick reflash nets as much power, and sway bars will let it handle the way it should.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on March 06, 2008, 10:45:16 PM

....well, your Mom is dull to drive!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on March 06, 2008, 11:01:49 PM
Ok...

The Passat getting a bit hard-core lately?  =)

It's more exciting than the STI was.

When I drove a WRX or WRX Limited, I had a lot of fun.  The STI was fast, but dull.  It never keyed you in, it never made you feel like you and the car were one.  It never delivered on the promises it made.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on March 06, 2008, 11:10:26 PM
It's more exciting than the STI was.

When I drove a WRX or WRX Limited, I had a lot of fun.  The STI was fast, but dull.  It never keyed you in, it never made you feel like you and the car were one.  It never delivered on the promises it made.

Well, there is nothing wrong with a difference in taste.  I respect your feelings on the matter.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on March 07, 2008, 07:33:33 PM
Well, there is nothing wrong with a difference in taste.  I respect your feelings on the matter.

The standard WRX was far more engaging than the STI.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AltinD

How goes that ad: "The Japanese car the Germans wished they made". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

MidnightDave

Let me hijaak this thread with a question about the STI. The other night I was in the wifey's car coming home with a pizza when one with a cam and exhaust pulled up next to me--it sounded great. I guess he spotted the "3" b/c he hammered it off the line, so I answered back.

Question is this: Every time he shifted, there was this pneumatic sound, like "pishkew". What was that? My Viggen had a turbo but didn't sound like that? The S/C on the MINI whines, this was just at the shifts, not sure if it was before, during or after, he was banging through the gears.

BTW, we were neck and neck the whole time and it didn't last long enough to see who had longer legs, (I'm guessing the IS?).
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

SVT666

Quote from: MidnightDave on March 15, 2008, 04:05:04 PM
Question is this: Every time he shifted, there was this pneumatic sound, like "pishkew". What was that? My Viggen had a turbo but didn't sound like that? The S/C on the MINI whines, this was just at the shifts, not sure if it was before, during or after, he was banging through the gears.
Probably the wastegate.

S204STi

Quote from: MidnightDave on March 15, 2008, 04:05:04 PM
Let me hijaak this thread with a question about the STI. The other night I was in the wifey's car coming home with a pizza when one with a cam and exhaust pulled up next to me--it sounded great. I guess he spotted the "3" b/c he hammered it off the line, so I answered back.

BTW, we were neck and neck the whole time and it didn't last long enough to see who had longer legs, (I'm guessing the IS?).

It's the intercooler bypass valve.  He replaced it with a vent-to-atmosphere type which makes that noise. 

Also very unlikely that he has a cam, probably just a mean exhaust.  Cams are one of the last modifications on those cars.