Mazda 2

Started by Shift507, March 06, 2008, 06:03:01 PM

Shift507

Guess I could fill you guys in with this.

There was finally the chance to go out looking for cars, my dad and I went to see the Ecosport just to make mom happy (truth is that it has some neat bits but I feel I'm being ripped off when I see what the equally priced Mazda 2 offers).

OK so my budget is of 15K. I immediately have the desire to check out the Mazda2 because it's the one in my final list that I hadn't been in. For the same $14,995 I get things like audio controls on the steering wheel, iPod plug, a tray between the seats that Mazda says is designed for women's purses (a huge plus with the mother since she always has that issue in cars), I am getting a much higher quality product, a million times better engineered, designed and I bet safer than the Brazilian Ford. Ergonomics are spot on, the whole interior has a very inviting feel to it.

The seats are a marvel, I could easily make a lot of miles behind that steering wheel. In the rear you get a slightly claustrophobic sensation with the sloping roof and smallish windows; it gives the impression that there's not a lot of headroom but I'm around 6'2" and had plenty of head and legroom and can easily pictured three normally-sized persons seating comfortably in the back.

The boot really is not what you'd expect in a car that looks this small on the outside, it's really deep and pretty lengthy without sacrificing the rear seat comfort. Rear seats fold split for optimum use of space. I reckon we could fit a 24,000 BTU/h window AC unit in there without much trouble with the rear seats folded down.

They have two in stock in the combo I was after, black with 5 speed manual, which is mated the the MZR 1.5 which as I have read has more than enough zest for this little guy.

Test drive? Traffic was so awful and crazy that it was enough hell getting to the dealer to now go out and face it with a car we still don't own. But we can say I've made up my mind :)
Recent Mopar convert

2o6

Do it.

-----------------

Don't forget about the 207 (Maybe too expensive) and never forget your love of the Clio.

Raza

What's an Ecosport?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

MT?

I like the 2 door better.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13763.msg767136#msg767136 date=1204852127
What's an Ecosport?
Fiesta Based CUV. Facelifted version shown for the Central/South American Market. Known as the Ford Fusion elsewhere.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2008, 06:10:47 PM
Fiesta Based CUV. Facelifted version shown for the Central/South American Market. Known as the Ford Fusion elsewhere.

Ford Fusion?  :lol:
That is intriguing. I want to drive over a boulder field with that.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: NACar on March 06, 2008, 06:11:34 PM
Ford Fusion?  :lol:
That is intriguing. I want to drive over a boulder field with that.

I think it could catch on in the US.

CJ

2o6

Quote from: CJ on March 06, 2008, 06:28:21 PM

No.

Yes. Americans are always clamoring for SUV's and the EcoSport could have worked here. Maybe there will be a new one based off the new Fiesta.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2008, 06:30:44 PM

Yes. Americans are always clamoring for SUV's and the EcoSport could have worked here. Maybe there will be a new one based off the new Fiesta.

It's way too small for the US market.  It's also just old..I think it's older than the Escape, which is almost a decade old.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on March 06, 2008, 06:33:01 PM

It's way too small for the US market.  It's also just old..I think it's older than the Escape, which is almost a decade old.

It's not older than the Escape. It came out the same time the Fiesta Did. Who says it's too small for the US market?

CJ

Well, considering that the Escape is really small, and this being smaller, American's wouldn't be open to it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2008, 06:35:21 PM

It's not older than the Escape. It came out the same time the Fiesta Did. Who says it's too small for the US market?

Are you for serious? Are you really trying to aruge about that? Americans want big - that's just how it is - bigger is better. Gas will have to be $8/gallon before an SUV that size would be worth selling.

Shift507

Quote from: Raza  on March 06, 2008, 06:08:47 PM
What's an Ecosport?

This thing, the interior seems something Chrysler was commissioned for, it has an overall very strange odour and the abundance of cheap plastics and sharp edges with misfit panels; plus the design is really outdated and unimaginative.

I don't think it has to comply with any crash safety standards, so that's what scares me the most. I have the benefit of ground clearance but for a worse equipped, worse car whose dealers here are very well known for horrible customer service and miserable labour.

It does have a neat storage compartment under the passenger seat where you flip forwards the bottom cushion, it has plastic on the back of the rear seats but it looks incredibly poor quality and still the Mazda seems the better pick.

The Mazda2 is IMO the best buy out of the two for exactly the same price.
Recent Mopar convert

2o6

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:40:10 PM
This thing, the interior seems something Chrysler was commissioned for, it has an overall very strange odour and the abundance of cheap plastics and sharp edges with misfit panels; plus the design is really outdated and unimaginative.

I don't think it has to comply with any crash safety standards, so that's what scares me the most. I have the benefit of ground clearance but for a worse equipped, worse car whose dealers here are very well known for horrible customer service and miserable labour.

It does have a neat storage compartment under the passenger seat where you flip forwards the bottom cushion, it has plastic on the back of the rear seats but it looks incredibly poor quality and still the Mazda seems the better pick.

The Mazda2 is IMO the best buy out of the two for exactly the same price.

Copy/Paste. :nono:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:40:10 PM

As far as I am concerned, that is EXACTLY what an SUV is supposed to be. I'd buy three of them.

Shift507

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2008, 06:35:21 PM

Not older than the Escape, but just as outdated  ;)

I may believe you're the lone soul saying it would be a hit. That awful build quality, lack of power and equipment are enough to be a flop before it even hits the showrooms. This is one Ford not worth lusting after.
Recent Mopar convert

CJ

2o6

2o6

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:43:58 PM
Not older than the Escape, but just as outdated  ;)

I may believe you're the lone soul saying it would be a hit. That awful build quality, lack of power and equipment are enough to be a flop before it even hits the showrooms. This is one Ford not worth lusting after.

NEXT GEN.

CJ

Shift507

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2008, 06:42:08 PM
Copy/Paste. :nono:

He made the same question, do I need to retype it all over again to have a completely different answer for the same question? Do I have to reply something different each time I'm asked "2+2" ?
Recent Mopar convert

2o6

Quote from: CJ on March 06, 2008, 06:46:02 PM

Why are YOU so dense?

Me? Dense? You're the Dense one, it was a joke.

2o6

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:46:13 PM
He made the same question, do I need to retype it all over again to have a completely different answer for the same question? Do I have to reply something different each time I'm asked "2+2" ?

AGGGH.

Shift507

Quote from: NACar on March 06, 2008, 06:42:52 PM

As far as I am concerned, that is EXACTLY what an SUV is supposed to be. I'd buy three of them.

As far as I am concerned, that is EXACTLY the opposite of what people have been led to see SUVs as. Buy three, still cheaper than getting a Mustang here and you can fit them in your pocket.
Recent Mopar convert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:49:11 PM
As far as I am concerned, that is EXACTLY the opposite of what people have been led to see SUVs as. Buy three, still cheaper than getting a Mustang here and you can fit them in your pocket.

To me, SUV's are trucks that you beat the shit out of. To everyone else, they are substitues for minivans and sedans. I really... really... really  hate people.  :lol:

Shift507

Quote from: NACar on March 06, 2008, 06:51:29 PM
To me, SUV's are trucks that you beat the shit out of. To everyone else, they are substitues for minivans and sedans. I really... really... really  hate people.  :lol:

So...how's life been in your mountain shack?  :lol:
Recent Mopar convert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:53:19 PM
So...how's life been in your mountain shack?  :lol:

I don't drive an SUV  :evildude:

Shift507

Still got the 'st33m? You could do a Beverly Hillbillies conversion  :lol:
Recent Mopar convert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Shift507 on March 06, 2008, 06:57:34 PM
Still got the 'st33m? You could do a Beverly Hillbillies conversion  :lol:

Oh, no. I have a Jetta now.