'99 Olds Intrigue cassette deck

Started by 280Z Turbo, July 14, 2005, 10:58:10 AM

280Z Turbo

My mom's '99 Intrigue can't play any tapes and when you try to get them out again, it's a real pain. It knew that there was a tape in there, but I don't think it played it. The only time I experimented was with one of those CD player cassette converters. It was a long time ago, so I can't remember specifics and I don't want to try it again.

Do we need a whole new head unit or can someone fix it? It has GM "Theftlock" (as if someone would steal a GM radio :lol: ) so I'm thinking that it may have to be repaired at the Buick/Cadillac dealer ($$$ :( ).

crv16

You probably can find a used unit on ebay pretty cheap.  Just make sure it comes with the "code".

http://motors.search.ebay.com/intrigue_Aud...QfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

a bunch for sale $40-100
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

giant_mtb

Go get a cheap name-brand head with a CD player.  

footoflead

QuoteGo get a cheap name-brand head with a CD player.
Agreed with above^^^...not sure but you might run into a minor problem with the theft lock...

I just had an idea...get a new unit from "car toys" or your equivilent...(they sell and install radio's and such)

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Maybe if you disconnected the battery and left 'er overnight, then took the stereo out it wouldn't be a problem...?  What is this TheftLock...?

TurboDan

The car manufacturers put the cheapest head units in from the factory - at least in mainstream cars for the most part.  So, it's not worth spending any money on.  

How often does she use the tape deck, though?  If it's mainly for converting to CDs, get a cheap CD head unit.  You can find 'em for nothing these days.  Also, ask her if she'd like to have satellite radio.  There are some affordable solutions for adding head units equipped with XM and Sirius these days as well.

280Z Turbo

She doesn't listen to cassettes. We just want the cassette deck to work with the XM radio.

I'm going to look into some head units with XM built in. She has a long commute and we take long trips up north with that car, so it's worth it.

The only problem is that GM has those big radios.

giant_mtb

QuoteShe doesn't listen to cassettes. We just want the cassette deck to work with the XM radio.

I'm going to look into some head units with XM built in. She has a long commute and we take long trips up north with that car, so it's worth it.

The only problem is that GM has those big radios.
It's no problem that they make the big radios.  When you buy your new head the company/catalog/whoever will give you an adaptor-type thing that will hold the new unit and cover up the rest of the area and it looks pretty normal.  I know because that's what they did for my brother's '96 MC.  

giant_mtb

But...I don't know if you'll get one of those adapters/holders buying a rock-bottom-cheapy at Wal-Mart.  Try Crutchfield, they actually have a couple of those big ones that are supposed to fit a standard GM space.  They won't kill the factory speakers, either.

280Z Turbo

This is what the dash looks like:

I don't think an adapter would look good because of the trim around it. Plus, I don't think my mom or dad want a tacky looking ricer radio with tiny buttons.

giant_mtb

It won't look as bad as you think.  I thought my bro's was gonna look bad, but it actually looks decent.  But you can probably find a standard sized and stock-looking one for cheap somewhere that will give you better-than-standard sound quality.

SargeMonkey

Surplus Computers has a $60 CD/MP3 in dash player, stick it in the glove box, thats what I am going to do with my civic. I think it was 60 watts, or something close to that.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

280Z Turbo

I think we're going to try to get an Olds radio from the junkyard.

giant_mtb

QuoteI think we're going to try to get an Olds radio from the junkyard.
That might not be the best idea...think about it.  If a stereo has been sitting outside (rain, dirt, dust) for a long time, there might be considerable damage and wear and tear on that stereo from the junk yard.  But...if you can find a decent-conditioned one, go for it.

280Z Turbo

They take the radios out at the junkyard.

Run Away

That's a Double DIN deck.
I agree that it'll be harder to find something that looks half decent in Double DIN form.
However, there is probably also a cubby hole that GM has that will fit underneath if you decide on a single DIN deck. Normal sized deck on top, same size cubby hole underneath.  

280Z Turbo

Nah, that cubby hole is too low.

Like I said, this is not my car. I might be OK will a half-assed install, but my mom and dad wouldn't like it.

Run Away

It wouldn't be half-assed, it would look factory.
Hell, look in the owners manual in the "How to operate your stereo" section and I'm sure it will show that it was offered in Single and Double DIN forms.

Basically, replace the radio with one of these plus the deck of your choice.

Run Away

Or you could get one of these, it's a panel that converts a double DIN opening to a single:

In fact, most stock vehicles have a double din opening with a single din deck and a cubby underneath.
5th gen Prelude dash:

280Z Turbo

Oh! So that's what you mean. That's not so bad, but with the way the trim wraps around the radio on the Intrigue I don't know if that would look good.

Remember, she just wants to listen to XM radio in the car, so unless we can't get a factory radio at the junkyard, a used radio is the best option.