The 'STANG is fixed

Started by footoflead, July 14, 2005, 06:13:07 PM

footoflead

well we took my dads six banger in for a check engine light (for the fourth time :angry: )...at first the car had stumped our mechanic but he finally worked thru it and found a crack all the way around the exhast pipe in front of the cat. ...

BTW- the code was Rich bank 2...  again :blink:

so where hopin that this will fixed our check engine light saga... :D  :rockon:

does anybody think that a crack could cause the engine to run rich on bank 2...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

I dunno, but Ford engine lights always come on, all the time, no matter what.  It's annoying as hell.

ifcar

QuoteI dunno, but Ford engine lights always come on, all the time, no matter what.  It's annoying as hell.
Never had it once. Either the bulb burned out before I bought it, or it actually hasn't been having problems.  

BMWDave

QuoteI dunno, but Ford engine lights always come on, all the time, no matter what.  It's annoying as hell.
Never had it once. Either the bulb burned out before I bought it, or it actually hasn't been having problems.
The bulb probably burned out :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

footoflead

QuoteI dunno, but Ford engine lights always come on, all the time, no matter what.? It's annoying as hell.
Obviously our bulb is alive and kicking...but we are having real problems...its not like its tellin givin me a bad O2 sensor or mass air flow sensor when its just been replaced...

Fords :rolleyes:
hey iffy you wanna keep tellin me how Fords are superiour :rolleyes:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

My dad's old Taurus would flash a check engine light all the time after about 100k or so.  It never amounted to anything, so we just ignored it.

GMPenguin

giant_mtb

QuoteI dunno, but Ford engine lights always come on, all the time, no matter what.  It's annoying as hell.
Must be the bulb.  The engine lights on two of the cars (the Grand Marq and the '98 'Xplorer) had been on.  We took them in and they found nothing wrong, so they reset the system.  Then...about a week later the one on the Explorer came back on, and it's been on ever since, but running perfectly fine.  We figured we wouldn't take it back in unless we noticed any real trouble.  Though I think it might need new spark plugs...it runs a rough idle.

ifcar

As long as it runs, I really couldn't care less.  

TurboDan

You can ignore them until you have to get your car inspected.  Alot of states will automatically fail you if it's on.  Plus, whether the light is on or not, your state's DMV computer will detect that the car is throwing up and error code anyway.

The Saab failed because of this even though there was literally nothing wrong with the car - there was a glitch in the computer that turns the light on!  Which meant, of course, that I had to buy a whole new ECU for the car.  

I wanted to strangle every environmental lobbyist I could find for passing these stupid laws.  Luckily, I couldn't find any random environmental lobbyists walking around.  :lol:

JWC

As long as it runs, I really couldn't care less.
The MIL  is supposed to come on when the engine is first started....or just turn the key to the run position without starting the engine and it should light up.  If it doesn't, the bulb is out. If it does, rejoice and have a beer.

The emission test in NC will fail a vehicle if it see the bulb is "inoperative".  

ifcar

I've never actually looked close at the bank of lights that comes on for a few seconds right when the car starts, I'm usually fighting the car's obtuse seatbelt mechanism at that time.

I'll look and see if the Check Engine is there, but it probably is functional, or I would have noticed the car running badly.

thewizard16

Every GM product we've ever had also had happy SES (Service Engine Soon) lights. On two of the four suburbans, it normally wasn't a problem. On one of them, it meant you needed to get it looked at. On the last one, you had about 2 minutes before something went horribly wrong. I talked to a Diamler Engineer (mechanical) about the service lights and he said you should just put a piece of tape over the light so you don't see it, and just take it in when you think something is ACTUALLY wrong.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

QuoteEvery GM product we've ever had also had happy SES (Service Engine Soon) lights. On two of the four suburbans, it normally wasn't a problem. On one of them, it meant you needed to get it looked at. On the last one, you had about 2 minutes before something went horribly wrong. I talked to a Diamler Engineer (mechanical) about the service lights and he said you should just put a piece of tape over the light so you don't see it, and just take it in when you think something is ACTUALLY wrong.
That's the Homer Simpson fix.  :lol:

BTW, checked, my light is not burned out, my engine just doesn't need checking.  :praise:  

giant_mtb

There's a '96 Mustang at a local used car dealership in Marquette.  I told my mom that once I get my permit we should go there and see if they'll let me drive it...and our excuse will be that "we're looking for my first car..."...  :lol:  :lol:  Do you think they'd let me drive it, even if all I have is a permit?  I mean if it's going to be my car, they'd let me drive it...wouldn't they?!  (but of course, we'd be just bluffing so I could drive it...and I'm pretty positive it's a V-6...and it's been sitting on the lot for over a year...my brother looked at it when he was looking for a car [he got his MC instead])

footoflead

QuoteThere's a '96 Mustang at a local used car dealership in Marquette.  I told my mom that once I get my permit we should go there and see if they'll let me drive it...and our excuse will be that "we're looking for my first car..."...  :lol:  :lol:  Do you think they'd let me drive it, even if all I have is a permit?  I mean if it's going to be my car, they'd let me drive it...wouldn't they?!  (but of course, we'd be just bluffing so I could drive it...and I'm pretty positive it's a V-6...and it's been sitting on the lot for over a year...my brother looked at it when he was looking for a car [he got his MC instead])
I'm not sure...but i think you need a license to test drive anything...if they did you'd have a salesman in the car with you...the sales people get kinda nervous when young people try to test drive vehicals around here

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteThere's a '96 Mustang at a local used car dealership in Marquette.  I told my mom that once I get my permit we should go there and see if they'll let me drive it...and our excuse will be that "we're looking for my first car..."...  :lol:  :lol:  Do you think they'd let me drive it, even if all I have is a permit?  I mean if it's going to be my car, they'd let me drive it...wouldn't they?!  (but of course, we'd be just bluffing so I could drive it...and I'm pretty positive it's a V-6...and it's been sitting on the lot for over a year...my brother looked at it when he was looking for a car [he got his MC instead])
I'm not sure...but i think you need a license to test drive anything...if they did you'd have a salesman in the car with you...the sales people get kinda nervous when young people try to test drive vehicals around here
Yeah...well I know they'd have the salesman in the car...that's 100% understandable.  I think they might let me...especially since they've been trying for over a year to get rid of that thing.  They're probably asking way too much for it.  It probably has a lot of miles and isn't in the best condition, but that's ok...I still wanna drive it...it's a convert. ^_^

footoflead

UPDATE:

The check engine light saga continues...will this ever end

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

What is the exact code it is throwing out? It should be P1xxx something.

If it is reading too rich on one bank, then it would behoove your mechanic to pull the plugs and look for any one plug that is too dark or light. If there is a bad injector, then there will be one plug that is visibly darker from it leaking excess fuel into the cylinder. If all the plugs look OK, then the wiring and ground to that O2 sensor need to be checked out.

If anything, the crack would cause the O2 sensor to indicate a lean mixture from the excess oxygen entering the exhaust. It would cause the computer to adjust fuel trim to full rich to compensate which would quickly foul the plugs, produce a sooty exhaust and cause poor fuel economy. Besides, if the crack was downstream of the upper O2 sensor then it wouldn't affect the fuel trim. In OBD-II systems, there are at least 2 oxygen sensors. One will be immediately after the exhaust manifold and is used by the computer to adjust the fuel mixture. The lower one will be located after the catalytic converter and is there ONLY to monitor the efficiency of the converter. V type engines will have one upper oxygen sensor per bank, and if the car has a true dual exhaust, there will be a lower oxygen sensor for each pipe aft of the cats.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

QuoteWhat is the exact code it is throwing out? It should be P1xxx something.

If it is reading too rich on one bank, then it would behoove your mechanic to pull the plugs and look for any one plug that is too dark or light. If there is a bad injector, then there will be one plug that is visibly darker from it leaking excess fuel into the cylinder. If all the plugs look OK, then the wiring and ground to that O2 sensor need to be checked out.

If anything, the crack would cause the O2 sensor to indicate a lean mixture from the excess oxygen entering the exhaust. It would cause the computer to adjust fuel trim to full rich to compensate which would quickly foul the plugs, produce a sooty exhaust and cause poor fuel economy. Besides, if the crack was downstream of the upper O2 sensor then it wouldn't affect the fuel trim. In OBD-II systems, there are at least 2 oxygen sensors. One will be immediately after the exhaust manifold and is used by the computer to adjust the fuel mixture. The lower one will be located after the catalytic converter and is there ONLY to monitor the efficiency of the converter. V type engines will have one upper oxygen sensor per bank, and if the car has a true dual exhaust, there will be a lower oxygen sensor for each pipe aft of the cats.
I'm not sure what the exact code is...

-On the crack...i agree with your thoughts on the crack..in fact i was thinking the same thing..(in fact we did have sooty exasht...)

-On the exasht...there are 4 O2 sensors..2 before the cats. and two after
its a Y-pipe set up...it joins into a y after the cats and the last two O2 sensors...

-On the plugs...our mechanic did pull the pulgs...i havent had time to confer with him yet...so no data

Hope that answers your Q's...you sound very knowledgeable :)...thanks

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

Assuming that the O2 sensors have been replaced to this point, there's probably one of two strong possibilities that exist. First, the wiring to the O2 sensor is messed up somewhere and is feeding the computer the wrong data. Second, and I'm going to guess this is closer to where the problem lies, that an injector is leaking or damaged and isn't capable of properly metering fuel.  It sounds as if the mechanic has fixed almost everything else.

If you've got the car, you might want to flog it for 20-30 miles and come back and look at the plugs. If one of them is noticably darker than the others, or if all the plugs save one on one bank (I think bank #2 should correspond to cylinders 4-5-6) are very white from the computer leaning the mixture, the one that looks normal is the bad injector.  
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

Well we took the moosestang into the ford dealership..*cough-basterds-cough*

And they said something that "the air filter is messed up...and was clogged." or some bull shit like that...

wish i had gone to pick it up...that way i could give yall more info...but it sounds like Ford is tryin to screw my family AGAIN...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteWell we took the moosestang into the ford dealership..*cough-basterds-cough*

And they said something that "the air filter is messed up...and was clogged." or some bull shit like that...

wish i had gone to pick it up...that way i could give yall more info...but it sounds like Ford is tryin to screw my family AGAIN...
OoOoOoO  You shoulda checked the air filter yourself to see what the heck they're talkin' about.  ;)  

footoflead

QuoteWell we took the moosestang into the ford dealership..*cough-basterds-cough*

OoOoOoO  You shoulda checked the air filter yourself to see what the heck they're talkin' about.  ;)
I think they just made up abunch of shit that wasnt covered under the extended warrentty :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I HATE FORD

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

While that's possible, you'd probably get the code for both banks of cylinders, not just one. I think someone is just trying to pull something out of their ass...
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

While that's possible, you'd probably get the code for both banks of cylinders, not just one. I think someone is just trying to pull something out of their ass...
I wouldnt doubt it...

I HATE FORD
[/size] :angry:  :angry:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Well we took our Explorer in a few days ago 'cause one of the plugs was bad...they replaced the plug and turned the CEL off, but then later that day when me and my mom gassed it up (right after we picked it up from the shop) the CEL came back on...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :angry:  :angry:  

footoflead

QuoteWell we took our Explorer in a few days ago 'cause one of the plugs was bad...they replaced the plug and turned the CEL off, but then later that day when me and my mom gassed it up (right after we picked it up from the shop) the CEL came back on...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :angry:  :angry:
Been there done that several times...although it was a little more time in between..Not much though <_<

well since we took it to ford and they gave me that bogus airfilter crap...the CEL has yet to come on...*knock on wood

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb