The Big Diesel Question

Started by BMWDave, May 10, 2005, 04:57:14 AM

BMWDave

Should diesels be brought to the US?  

Give reasons for your thoughs against or pro.

EDIT:  Can the mods fix the topic-I accidentally hit the M instead of the N.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

QuoteShould diesels be brought to the US?  

EDIT:  Can the mods fix the topic-I accidentally hit the M instead of the N.
If I'm able to fix a thread title, I have no idea how to do it. Sorry.  :(  

Fire It Up

Uhhh...dont we have them already?  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

NomisR

The current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.  They're not allowed in CA at least.  

Fire It Up

PLenty of diesels here.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

MX793

QuoteThe current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.  They're not allowed in CA at least.
Diesel powered cars (not trucks) are not allowed in 5 states.  New York, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

850CSi

QuoteThe current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.  They're not allowed in CA at least.
Diesel powered cars (not trucks) are not allowed in 5 states.  New York, California, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont.
That will change in 2006 when America will start to adopt cleaner low-sulfur diesel fuels similar to the European type.

giant_mtb

I was pretty sure we had a lot of diesel cars and trucks in the US...hmm...  <_<   :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteI was pretty sure we had a lot of diesel cars and trucks in the US...hmm...  <_<   :lol:
We do, but I mean selling them as mainstream models.  Like BMW bringing over the 530d and 535d and all its diesel models and MB bringing diesel models.  Yes, we have diesels, but only a very limited amount.

2007 Honda S2000

Why?

QuoteThe current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.  They're not allowed in CA at least.
That will change in 2006 when America will start to adopt cleaner low-sulfur diesel fuels similar to the European type.
The problem is the US has much stricter emission standards for diesels than Europe does.

Europe gives diesels a break, meaning that gas engines have much lower settings. In the US, that is not the case.

Plus the fact is now diesel is usually more expensive than even premium unleaded, and the engines themselves are more expensive as well. That is a hard selling point.

BMWDave

QuoteThe current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.? They're not allowed in CA at least.
The problem is the US has much stricter emission standards for diesels than Europe does.

Europe gives diesels a break, meaning that gas engines have much lower settings. In the US, that is not the case.

Plus the fact is now diesel is usually more expensive than even premium unleaded, and the engines themselves are more expensive as well. That is a hard selling point.
Why should diesel fuel be more expensive?  I mean isnt it supposed to be cheaper?  

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

QuoteShould diesels be brought to the US? 

EDIT:  Can the mods fix the topic-I accidentally hit the M instead of the N.
If I'm able to fix a thread title, I have no idea how to do it. Sorry.  :(
Bottom left hand corner there's a drop down box with some options, one of them is topic title.

giant_mtb

QuoteI was pretty sure we had a lot of diesel cars and trucks in the US...hmm...  <_<   :lol:
We do, but I mean selling them as mainstream models.  Like BMW bringing over the 530d and 535d and all its diesel models and MB bringing diesel models.  Yes, we have diesels, but only a very limited amount.
I think it'd be nice...but then I guess the gas stations around the country would have to spark up a diesel pump or two if it isn't there already...and that could take years for the majority of all the stations to get it..but I think it's a great idea...I sure wouldn't mind.  I love turbochargers and diesels...so why not?!
 :rockon:  

SargeMonkey

Oregon allows deisel cars :D  But There is not many here.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TurboDan

Don't most gas stations have diesel pumps anyway?  I rarely see one that doesn't.

MX793

QuoteDon't most gas stations have diesel pumps anyway?  I rarely see one that doesn't.
Depends on where you are.  If you're in a suburban/urban area with no nearby truck routes, fewer stations carry diesel.  I drove past 4 stations on my way to the nearest mall and none of them had diesel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Why?

Why should diesel fuel be more expensive?  I mean isnt it supposed to be cheaper?
It just is. I don't know why. I read somewhere that the demand for diesel is more than the very limited supply, at least in the US.

And it isn't suppose to be cheaper. It just usually has been in the US, because no one wants it.

In Europe, they specifically tax unleaded gasoline much more than diesel, that is why it is cheaper there.

BMWDave

QuoteThe current US fuel does not allow for the clean use of diesel fuel at this time.? They're not allowed in CA at least.

It just is. I don't know why. I read somewhere that the demand for diesel is more than the very limited supply, at least in the US.

And it isn't suppose to be cheaper. It just usually has been in the US, because no one wants it.

In Europe, they specifically tax unleaded gasoline much more than diesel, that is why it is cheaper there.
I understand...I thought it was cheaper cause when I go to Europe all I see are diesels so I thought it was cheaper.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteDon't most gas stations have diesel pumps anyway?  I rarely see one that doesn't.
Depends on where you are.  If you're in a suburban/urban area with no nearby truck routes, fewer stations carry diesel.  I drove past 4 stations on my way to the nearest mall and none of them had diesel.
Exactly, I live in a little down in Texas that just happens to be one a major route to Houston, so we have diesel pumps at every gas station that I can think of because of all the big trucks that come through (we also have a lot of diesel powered heavy duty trucks around).

As far as diesel cars go, I am a fan, but only if the manufacturers can produce them at a price where they make sense. That means that there can't be too much extra initial purchase price for the diesel engine. If a finiancial case can't be made, don't bother.