Road and Track Z06 vs 911 Turbo vs GTR on the track.

Started by 565, March 19, 2008, 07:45:42 AM

The lap times will make your jaw fall open.

The miracle car continues to deliver.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6594

Driven by Steven Millen, a pro driver.

Here is the track analysis.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_OnTrack.pdf

Millen says "the GTR gives me more feedback and more confidence than any street car I've driven on a racetrack."

FlatBlackCaddy

and it continues.

If i sold my Z and EVO i would have about 30K to put down on a GT-R. If i purchased at MSRP i would have a 200 dollar a month higher car payment then i do now.

FlatBlackCaddy

afty

Man, that is insane.  5 seconds a lap faster!

Lap times at Buttonwillow:
GT-R - 1:56.9
911 Turbo - 2:02.1
Z06 - 2:02.2

Vinsanity

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 19, 2008, 09:31:42 AM

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh no, they say hes got to go
Go go godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go godzilla, yeah

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men
Godzilla!

That song should be installed in the hard drive of every GT-R sold :mrcool:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2008, 02:38:06 PM

Go go godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go godzilla, yeah

Godzilla!

:wtf:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

Five seconds, almost six, on the track is huge.  I am more than impressed, but when you're driving the most advanced car on the planet, it almost does the driving for you.  I cannot believe it, but pre-release reports did say that the LHD version was more balanced than the JDM version.  I guess they were right.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 19, 2008, 09:30:48 AM
and it continues.

If i sold my Z and EVO i would have about 30K to put down on a GT-R. If i purchased at MSRP i would have a 200 dollar a month higher car payment then i do now.

GT-R = depreciating asset.  Keep the Z, no matter what.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

This particular quote made my jaw drop.

"The Dunlop SP Sports get noisy at highway speed, but other than this and an occasionally clunky low-speed shift, the GT-R is a capable daily commuter."

These are the base GT-R's tires instead of the high performance RE70R option.

http://www.gtrnissan.com/specs.en.us.html

With the better rubber option, the pure ownage would have been worse.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: the Teuton on March 19, 2008, 03:24:13 PM
Five seconds, almost six, on the track is huge.  I am more than impressed, but when you're driving the most advanced car on the planet, it almost does the driving for you.  I cannot believe it, but pre-release reports did say that the LHD version was more balanced than the JDM version.  I guess they were right.

GT-R = depreciating asset.  Keep the Z, no matter what.

The Z will lose money too, just like anything else.

To me the GT-R will be the top of the totum(sp) pole for me, it will probably the fastest car i'll ever own and more importantly very attainable.

The only thing faster than these will be 200+ thousand dollar exotics(ferrari, lamborghini, etc).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 565 on March 19, 2008, 05:48:03 PM
This particular quote made my jaw drop.

"The Dunlop SP Sports get noisy at highway speed, but other than this and an occasionally clunky low-speed shift, the GT-R is a capable daily commuter."

These are the base GT-R's tires instead of the high performance RE70R option.

http://www.gtrnissan.com/specs.en.us.html

With the better rubber option, the pure ownage would have been worse.

Half the article makes my jaw drop, this thing just handed the competition its ass and then jerked the plate away and dumped the contents on the floor and continued to laugh as it stole their girlfriends and drove off.

I can't imagine any other review being much different, it's pretty much game over when it comes to the subject of the GT-R being overhyped.

Raza

Wow, you guys are really enjoying the big GT-R circle jerk, eh?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on March 19, 2008, 08:32:12 PM
Wow, you guys are really enjoying the big GT-R circle jerk, eh?

You're just mad because you're not invited.

Cookie Monster

I for one am getting tired of the "Z0MFG the GT-R is the pwnz" about a billion times every day in every review...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on March 19, 2008, 08:33:25 PM
I for one am getting tired of the "Z0MFG the GT-R is the pwnz" about a billion times every day in every review...

Is it so hard for you to believe that it's just that good?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

oilfilter

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 19, 2008, 02:38:06 PM

Go go godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go godzilla, yeah

Godzilla!

:lol:
It's an awesome song anyway.
:rockon: :rockon:

cawimmer430

Isn't the Porsche Turbo more of a "GT" car than a real track performer? I was always under the impression that the Turbo was more of a hardcore luxury performance machine than an outright track car.  :huh:

I think the GT3 / GT RS is probably much better suited for track performance.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 21, 2008, 01:38:23 AM
Isn't the Porsche Turbo more of a "GT" car than a real track performer? I was always under the impression that the Turbo was more of a hardcore luxury performance machine than an outright track car.  :huh:

I think the GT3 / GT RS is probably much better suited for track performance.

It is, but the american press though"turbo awd" vs "turbo awd" and the 911 turbo having more power and runs with it...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

The GT-R competes more directly with the Turbo anyway. It's not a dedicated track car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Lebowski

Quote from: Tave on March 21, 2008, 07:21:35 AM
The GT-R competes more directly with the Turbo anyway. It's not a dedicated track car.

:hesaid:

And the 911TT ain't exactly a Lexus, people.

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on March 21, 2008, 07:36:47 AM
:hesaid:

And the 911TT ain't exactly a Lexus, people.

Yeah, but the demographics buying them would most likely never see any track use and would prefer to drive a Lexus.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on March 21, 2008, 08:16:36 AM
Yeah, but the demographics buying them would most likely never see any track use and would prefer to drive a Lexus.

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people buying just about any sports car (including the GT-R) never see any track use.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Lebowski on March 22, 2008, 08:41:14 AM
I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people buying just about any sports car (including the GT-R) never see any track use.

I agree. The vast majority just drive them around to look cool.  :rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2008, 10:29:03 AM
I agree. The vast majority just drive them around to look cool.  :rolleyes:

That's why I drive my sports car. I know it makes me cool.  :mrcool:

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on March 22, 2008, 10:30:36 AM
That's why I drive my sports car. I know it makes me cool.  :mrcool:

You look cooler when you're driving around a track.   ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2008, 10:32:20 AM
You look cooler when you're driving around a track.   ;)

I think my car would go suicidal if it ever knew I was taking it to a track. Merging onto the interstate is scary enough for it. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2008, 10:32:20 AM
You look cooler when you're driving around a track.   ;)

The only people that come to watch me drive around the track are middle aged men, and they don't really watch me much anyways.

I want to look hot for the hotties, dude!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

The more I read about it, and after seeing a white on the street in Japan, I think I'd choose the GT-R over any high-po car (exotic or otherwise), irrespective of price. Beyond performance and practicality, two other major aspects that appeal to me are that 1) It's a bread-n-butter nameplate and 2) it doesn't look like an exotic (and actually quite normal to the average person).

Actually, I'll amend that. Any new car. I've been kinda shopping for a Mopar E-body ('70-'72 'Cuda or Challenger) as a hobby. There are a lot of "tribute" (read: clones) AARs and Hemis that could be had for the price of a GT-R, or maybe a little less.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on March 22, 2008, 03:43:48 PM
The more I read about it, and after seeing a white on the street in Japan, I think I'd choose the GT-R over any high-po car (exotic or otherwise), irrespective of price. Beyond performance and practicality, two other major aspects that appeal to me are that 1) It's a bread-n-butter nameplate and 2) it doesn't look like an exotic (and actually quite normal to the average person).

Actually, I'll amend that. Any new car. I've been kinda shopping for a Mopar E-body ('70-'72 'Cuda or Challenger) as a hobby. There are a lot of "tribute" (read: clones) AARs and Hemis that could be had for the price of a GT-R, or maybe a little less.

Your last paragraph makes me all warm inside - those RWD E-bodies are just wonderful. Do be sure to keep us all updated!