4cyl Camaro?

Started by 2o6, March 19, 2008, 07:31:13 PM

ChrisV

It's really not necessary to make them loads heavier, either, The Mustang is a case in point, The V8 GT is around 3400 and change. About where the smallblock V8 '69-'70 Mustang was, and only about a hundred lbs heavier than the small block version of the '67-68 Mustang. So even with all teh chassis stiffening, luxury features and safety equipment, it hasn't gained weight vs the classics. In fact, all three of those are within inches of each other in size, as well. There's no real reason for the Camaro to be more than 3400 lbs (3300 lbs with the turbo 4 would be acceptable, as that's only a couple lbs heavier than a new Civic).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Cobra93

Quote from: Lazerous on March 19, 2008, 09:07:39 PM
:nono:

Camaro and shitty are two terms that are never used in the same sentence. Mustang and shitty is a different story.
Sometime in 2010, or perhaps 2011, or perhaps 2012, GM plans to release a shitty imitation of the popular Ford Mustang. :lol:

Nethead

Camaro and shitty are two terms that are never used in the same sentence. Mustang and shitty is a different story.

Don't feel left out, Lazerous! Go back and read that earlier thread that had pics of the new Camaro's interior, and you'll see that merely "shitty" doesn't do it justice!
So many stairs...so little time...

Lazerous

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 20, 2008, 11:44:58 AM
Sometime in 2010, or perhaps 2011, or perhaps 2012, GM plans to release a shitty imitation of the popular Ford Mustang. :lol:
Quote from: Nethead on March 20, 2008, 12:25:43 PM
Don't feel left out, Lazerous! Go back and read that earlier thread that had pics of the new Camaro's interior, and you'll see that merely "shitty" doesn't do it justice!

Awww, did the 'stang fanboys get all mad at my statement? :evildude:

Care to provide a link nethead? I looked through the first two pages but couldn't find it. Interior styling comes back to a persons personal taste, but to say these two cars ('stang vs 'maro) are only about some glitzy interior is just wrong.

As I told you before. Let's wait for the Camaro to come out (admittedly GM/Chevy is being painfully slow on releasing it) and put the two V8 contenders against one another, OK?

Nethead

Don't feel left out, Lazerous! Go back and check out that earlier thread that had pics of the new Camaro's interior, and you'll see that merely "shitty" doesn't do it justice!  That gaywad interior is so retrofugly that they're holding a contest to  create a single term to describe an interior that sucks the running pus out of the scabs on the hemorrhoids of a venereal maggot's hairy asshole.  "Retrosuck" is a frontrunner, but "lazerous" is gaining fast...

Lazerous

Quote from: Nethead on March 20, 2008, 12:39:43 PM
Don't feel left out, Lazerous! Go back and read that earlier thread that had pics of the new Camaro's interior, and you'll see that merely "shitty" doesn't do it justice!  That gaywad interior is so retrofugly that they've now created a single term to describe an interior that sucks the pus out of the scabs on a venereal maggot's hairy asshole: camaro

Oh dear, such a perverted/sick imagination can only come from one group of people....Mustang owners fanboys. (Sorry, had to cross out owners because I recalled you don't even have a 'stang :rolleyes:)

Nethead

Quote from: Lazerous on March 20, 2008, 12:42:39 PM
Oh dear, such a perverted/sick imagination can only come from one group of people....Mustang owners fanboys. (Sorry, had to cross out owners because I recalled you don't even have a 'stang :rolleyes:)

In this little pissin' contest, I don't own a Mustang but you do own a Camaro.  You lose. :(   No hard feelings--life's a crock when an Accord is the better car that you own...

Lazerous

Quote from: Nethead on March 20, 2008, 12:57:38 PM
In this little pissin' contest, I don't own a Mustang but you do own a Camaro.  You lose. :(   No hard feelings--life's a crock when an Accord is the better car that you own...

:lol:

Alright young man, as I've mentioned time and time again, let's wait till the car actually comes out and the mags begin to pit them against one another. Just get used to seeing this a lot: "First Place: V8 Camaro"

hotrodalex

The sucky interior shots are from a test mule. They don't put production interiors in a mule (usually), they just put together an interior that is easy to fix/mess around with and looks sorta like the production car. They have no reason to put in the full production interior, it would just be a waste of time & money.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lazerous on March 20, 2008, 12:42:39 PM
:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: R-inge on March 19, 2008, 09:25:20 PM
I think highly of the DI Ecotec, but there's no way it's going to move that heavy pile of steel with anything resembling haste.  If it's the alternative to the V8 then so be it; at least it'll be more exciting that the pushrod V6 selection, but I would never opt for it.

I don't understand how 260 HP and 260 lb ft. of torque is unable to move it with haste. That's plenty of power to get it going fast (I would assume somewhere in the low 6's, possibly high 5's, assuming it's 3600 or so lbs), and that's probably just going to be the base engine. The V6 Mustang has what, 220 HP?

Colonel Cadillac

Also, since when is a 0-60 time of above 6 seconds slow? Getting to 60 miles an hour in 6.5 seconds is really fast!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 20, 2008, 05:18:05 PM
Also, since when is a 0-60 time of above 6 seconds slow? Getting to 60 miles an hour in 6.5 seconds is really fast!

No, that's pretty slow, actually.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

Eye of the Tiger

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2008, 06:19:50 AM
Safety is not an excuse for weight... I have a 4 seat 4 door car loaded to the gills and comes with 6 airbags that weighs 3,030 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Your car also rides on a chassis designed, and thus optimized, specifically for that car.  When you build a smaller car on the platform originally intended for a larger one, you end up with a car that is heavy for its physical size.  The platform is not optimized for use in a smaller car.

Why does the Challenger weigh 2 tons?  Because the full sized sedan platform it's built on is made heavy to support its primary design purpose.

Why is the 350Z so heavy for its size?  Because it's based on a platform that underpins not just a midsize car, but also a full size sedan and a crossover SUV.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 20, 2008, 05:14:43 PM

I don't understand how 260 HP and 260 lb ft. of torque is unable to move it with haste. That's plenty of power to get it going fast (I would assume somewhere in the low 6's, possibly high 5's, assuming it's 3600 or so lbs), and that's probably just going to be the base engine. The V6 Mustang has what, 220 HP?

I believe he was probably referring to the inevitable turbo lag and higher RPM power band.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2008, 06:19:50 AM
Safety is not an excuse for weight... I have a 4 seat 4 door car loaded to the gills and comes with 6 airbags that weighs 3,030 lbs with a full tank of gas.

Doesn't your car use an aluminum chassis/body panels?

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on March 19, 2008, 09:20:30 PM
How much power can a tuned Ecotec make? 

Hopefully, the Z28 still carries the LS2/3 V8, though.

The 2.0 Turbo in the Ecotec can make 300 hp with some modifications..I doubt GM would tune it to within an inch of it's life though for warranty purposes though.

r0tor

Quote from: Schadenfreude on March 20, 2008, 06:57:20 PM
Doesn't your car use an aluminum chassis/body panels?

aluminum hood and rear doors... rest is high strength steel

Like previously pointed out, these new pony cars are heavy as an anvil because of being parts bin specials - not because of safety or anything else.  I'd really think something that would sell in the volume of a Mustang/Camaro could at least get its own frikkin chassis....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

traumadog

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2008, 07:17:29 PM
aluminum hood and rear doors... rest is high strength steel

Like previously pointed out, these new pony cars are heavy as an anvil because of being parts bin specials - not because of safety or anything else.  I'd really think something that would sell in the volume of a Mustang/Camaro could at least get its own frikkin chassis....

That's the problem - in order to get their own chassis, you'd probably have to aim at the 200+k/year volume, just to justify it nowadays.  Most cars nowadays part-share with some other for cost's sake.  I'm sure Mazda doesn't make a mint off the RX8 platform (some small parts of which are shared with the latest Miata, IIRC).  Even the Corvette shares parts with other cars, too.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

S204STi

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 20, 2008, 05:14:43 PM

I think it would make a fine base engine, but I've driven the Solstice with the DI Ecotec, and while it's a great motor I don't see it being a true musclecar type engine for this car.  A torquey V6 might be better, like Cougs alluded to.  That said, if they could dial it up to 300/300...now we're talking!

Basically, if it is sluggish moving the Solstice (which I think it is somewhat) then it will be worse on that beefy machine.  Now, that is a huge assumption on my part; it might be lighter than expected.

Hondaboy9602

The Sky gets 19/28 MPG and the V6 Camaro is rumored to get 17/25 MPG. The Sky is smaller and most likely lighter than the Camaro so most likely the Camaro would get worse gas milage than the Sky. So my question is how much of a gain in gas milage will a 4-cylinder Camaro have over the V6 Camaro? It doesn't should like it will be a lot. Given the Choice I would rather have the V6 over the turbo charged 4-cylinder.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on March 20, 2008, 08:18:08 PM
I think it would make a fine base engine, but I've driven the Solstice with the DI Ecotec, and while it's a great motor I don't see it being a true musclecar type engine for this car.  A torquey V6 might be better, like Cougs alluded to.  That said, if they could dial it up to 300/300...now we're talking!

Turbo 4's are muscley! You have one, you should know! :devil:

S204STi

Stock for stock, I would take the V6, but then again the tuning potential is there I suppose...  I'm just wondering about the exhaust note. :lol:  Imagine the fart-can fourbanger noise coming from a Camaro...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on March 20, 2008, 08:24:12 PM
Stock for stock, I would take the V6, but then again the tuning potential is there I suppose...  I'm just wondering about the exhaust note. :lol:  Imagine the fart-can fourbanger noise coming from a Camaro...

exhaust note?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLcjAcyeS1I

:wub:

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on March 20, 2008, 08:23:41 PM
Turbo 4's are muscley! You have one, you should know! :devil:

Yes, I have a highly under-rated turbo-four that would shock a few older Mustangs, but I wouldn't want one in my musclecar.  Besides, the lag...wow.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on March 20, 2008, 08:24:12 PM

It's such a preposterous thought that when i think about its- well it's fucking brilliant, that's what it is.

I simply need to buy a 4-cylinder camaro, put a titanium flamed N1 muffler tip on it and tweak the boost to just this side of nuclear with the loudest BOV imaginable.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2008, 08:26:38 PM
It's such a preposterous thought that when i think about its- well it's fucking brilliant, that's what it is.

I simply need to buy a 4-cylinder camaro, put a titanium flamed N1 muffler tip on it and tweak the boost to just this side of nuclear with the loudest BOV imaginable.

indeed

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2008, 08:26:38 PM

The kid in the turbo Civic won't know what hit him!