Saleen S5S Raptor

Started by SVT666, March 19, 2008, 09:41:12 PM

SVT666

Saleen S5S Raptor breaks cover
March19

Supercar maker and Ford customizer Saleen took the wraps off its all-new S5S Raptor at the New York Auto Show on Wednesday. Designed to compete with the high-performance offerings from Ferrari and Lamborghini, the Raptor delivers 650 horsepower at 6300 rpm and 630 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm.

The Raptor is designed to digest cellulosic ethanol fuel, which should help it score points with environmentalists and advocates of oil independence. The higher octane rating of E85 gas also results in more power, Saleen says. The supercharged S5S is reportedly capable of hitting 60 mph in 3.2 seconds.

The Raptor can be equipped with a close-ratio 6-speed manual, or optional paddle shifting
sequential gearbox. Either gearbox can send the rigid aluminum chassis screaming to a top speed of over 200 mph.

The double wishbone suspension and rack-and-pinion steering of the S5S is augmented by ABS traction control and stability control systems. The brake system features 15-inch (381 mm) front rotors with 6-piston calipers, and 13-inch (308 mm) rear rotors with dual piston calipers. Traction is provided by 275/35 ZR20 front and 315/35/ZR20 rear Pirelli Rosso tires that wrap the 20 forged aluminum wheels.

The aesthetics for the Raptor were developed by ASC Creative Services, America's largest independent automotive design firm. The primary designer on this program was Dave Byron, a member of ASCs Design team.

According to Saleen executives, the S5S Raptor could enter the market in as little as two years, and should it go forward, it would carry a base price of approximately $185,000.

the Teuton

Holy poop!  I want that car!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CJ

I don't like it, though respect its credentials.

SVT666

I love it.  I think it's totally and completely rockin'.

This is a Saleen, and not the new supercar that will be built by Steve Saleen's new company SMS.  Steve Saleen is no longer an employee of Saleen.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13944.msg779669#msg779669 date=1205984919
Saleen Gallardo?

The profile looks very Lambo to me.

I like how agressive and strung-out the wheel-arches are, but they look a little overwhelming from the head-on angle.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Nethead

Thank God it has omitted 628 gills found on the other mid-engined Saleen! 

Otherwise, very Gallardo as noted upstream...

Still, 650 HP and 630 feet pounds in a mid-engined sportscar for "approximately $185,000" is gonna have the Saleen factory working nights and week-ends for as long as such a car is allowed to be legally sold.
So many stairs...so little time...

Raza

Quote from: Nethead on March 20, 2008, 11:16:06 AM
Still, 650 HP and 630 feet pounds in a mid-engined sportscar for "approximately $185,000" is gonna have the Saleen factory working nights and week-ends for as long as such a car is allowed to be legally sold.

As long as Saleen gives in and gives the Raptor the amenities found in cars like the 430 and Gallardo.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Nethead

Quote from: Raza  on March 20, 2008, 11:39:51 AM
As long as Saleen gives in and gives the Raptor the amenities found in cars like the 430 and Gallardo.

Raza:  RazDude, have you read/heard somewhere that this machine is targeted at the 430/Gallardo customer?  At the suggested retail price, I suspect it's not...isn't this roughly one-third the window sticker of an S7?  Don't bother to look it up if you don't know this stuff off the top of your head--I am not a big Saleen fan.  Saleen talks the talk that some model of the S7 is the fastest car on Earth, but has never taken one to Nardo, Italy, to walk the walk.  Bugatti took their hardware there, Ford took theirs there, Koenigsegg took theirs there, McLaren took theirs there...Nardo ain't some long, straight, extended drag strip--but a real track with instrumentation its entire length.  There are reasons some manufacturers large and small never take their hardware to Nardo--the main one being that if your vehicle has flaws the world will know it even before your engine has cooled down--or before your engine has been scraped off the track, as the case may be...
So many stairs...so little time...

hotrodalex

BimmerM3

Looks great. If I were stupidly rich I might buy one.

r0tor

very nice and clean looking
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

I love the motto on the rear plate.

"Power in the hands of a few"
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

autom?vel

That just popped something into my mind...any of you remember Jerry Wiegert and Vector Motors/Vector Supercars from the 90s?  Ha.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

MX793

It's simply not a Saleen without a million gill slits.  They have lost their way...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

If the S7 TT 1000 has an estimated but not ever achieved top speed of 260 mph, I wonder how fast this thing can go.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Middle_Path

That's a fancy looking Saturn.   :zzz:

Actually, it looks like a scale model or a matchbox car. Whatever, either way it's a bullshit concept. I hate concept cars.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

NomisR

Looks good but something just doesn't look right about it.. and what's with the Las Vegas light show in the back?

MX793

Didn't some other small supercar builder already make a car called the Raptor some years ago?  I want to say it was Mosler.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: Middle_Path on March 22, 2008, 01:13:04 AM
That's a fancy looking Saturn.   :zzz:

Actually, it looks like a scale model or a matchbox car. Whatever, either way it's a bullshit concept. I hate concept cars.
What makes it a bullshit concept?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 22, 2008, 10:48:20 PM

The fact he doesn't have $185,000 to spend on it?

I think it's bullshit I don't have $185,000 to spend on one too!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

And what does someone mean that this isn't a real Saleen?  Did Steve Saleen sell the company?

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 22, 2008, 11:11:10 PM
And what does someone mean that this isn't a real Saleen?  Did Steve Saleen sell the company?
He sold Saleen a few years back, but just last fall the new owners pushed him into retirement.  He has started a new company called SMS Limited.

Saleen Forms "SMS Limited" Performance Portfolio        
Steve Saleen just recently announced that he and an elite few have formed a new niche performance organization dubbed "SMS Limited?, Lifestyle Performance Automobiles; a capstone nameplate in the Saleen enterprise.  With a vast racing and performance history behind him, Saleen is no stranger to the business, especially the Ford Mustang.  He founded Saleen Autosports in 1983, Saleen Productions in 1993, Saleen Speedlab in 1997, Saleen Performance in 1999, Saleen, Inc. in 2001 and now SMS Limited in 2008.  Quite the laundry list of success!  During the time he spent with his numerous quality brands, he took on many different roles, from product design & development to the sales room floor.  With all this behind him, Steve now has his sights with SMS focused on the elite side of the American Muscle cars (Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Chevrolet Camaro) as well as Global Supercar markets.

March 13, 2008 - Orange County, California - Steve Saleen announced today the formation of ?SMS Limited?, Lifestyle Performance Automobiles, the pinnacle brand in his portfolio of companies. As a professional race driver and innovative businessman, Steve is well known as the founder of numerous Steve Saleen Brands including Saleen Autosport in 1983, Saleen Productions in 1993, Saleen Speedlab in 1997, Saleen Performance in 1999, Saleen, Inc. in 2001 and now SMS Limited in 2008. In the years of building the many brands, Mr. Saleen oversaw and participated in every aspect of the business, product development, sales and marketing. His latest endeavor will focus on the expansion into the high-end of the diverse American Muscle Car and Global Supercar markets.

?I am drawing upon 25 years of rich experience in the automotive industry to address the rapidly expanding global market of automotive lifestyle vehicles, technical performance parts, accessories and apparel? explains Steve Saleen, Chairman and CEO of SMS Limited. ?SMS will enable us to do what could not be done at Saleen, Inc. due to their heritage with the Ford dealer network and Ford vehicles. We are using this freedom, along with our new technology developed at SMS to create world-class specialty vehicles.?

?We are currently developing our Signature Series of ultra high performance vehicles and technical performance parts which will address the new American Muscle Car offerings?, discloses Mr. Saleen, ?our charter focuses on delivering the best solutions at the best performance value to the varied world of the automotive enthusiast, be they Dodge, Chevrolet or Ford faithful.?

?Supercar fans will be delighted to learn about the all-new vehicles and new technology we are currently developing?, reveals Mr. Saleen ?these cars will deliver superior performance and innovation for both the track day enthusiast and the passionate on-road driver?. Billy Tally, Chief Technical Officer, adds, ?These vehicles have been engineered to meet the demands of the world?s most challenging race tracks?. Mr. Saleen continues, ?Sportscar racing enthusiasts will be excited about the upcoming announcement of our return to racing in the American LeMans Series. You will hear more about that very soon.?

?Developing and manufacturing cars is one thing, but selling them is quite another? continues Mr. Saleen, ?We will be bringing our new and unique automotive lifestyle retail experience to a number of global markets. Watch out for more interesting news on our distribution and retail plans in a few weeks?. Mr. Saleen concludes ?The time is right; we have the talent, the new technology, the funding and the drive to achieve our goals. We will be the brand of choice for the community and culture of the automotive enthusiast?.

SVT_Power

the rear sort of resembles a F430 from the side
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Middle_Path

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 22, 2008, 10:48:20 PM

Judging by the pictures I didn't even think it was a real full scale mock up. I thought it was some miniature version. I guess I am completely wrong because they do seem to have a full scale version. I apologize. Still, I will stand by my statement that I hate concept cars.

Time to go, F1 Malaysia is recording.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Middle_Path on March 23, 2008, 12:56:44 AM
Still, I will stand by my statement that I hate concept cars.

Well, would you really want to see what the car companies would turn out without making a few rough drafts first?

LonghornTX

I like it.

I wonder what powerplant they are using?
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 23, 2008, 03:14:59 PM
Well, would you really want to see what the car companies would turn out without making a few rough drafts first?
Besides, if the S7 is any indication, this car will hit showroom floors unchanged.

TheIntrepid

Those headlights have me mesmerized.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]