Which would you take?

2006 MINI Cooper S JCW
11 (91.7%)
2008 MINI Clubman S
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on March 20, 2008, 11:05:08 AM
Me too. Go slow enough and you won't crash into the person in front of you anyways. They aren't needed.

Right; and you trust the general public to act responsibly?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 20, 2008, 11:09:05 AM
No it's not.

Driving at night with your lights off is a bad idea.

Driving at night with your lights on is safe and smart motoring.

Driving everywhere with your foglights on is just paranoia, and it's also rude to other motorists.

In fact it may be a little unsafe, provided there is no fog.

How is it rude or unsafe?  They illuminate the road and are pointed down and to the sides so they don't shine in anyone's eyes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

I use my foglights to supplement the headlights at night because the lowbeams on the CTS, frankly, suck. At least compared to the HID's I had on the TL.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13945.msg780273#msg780273 date=1206034676
How is it rude or unsafe?  They illuminate the road and are pointed down and to the sides so they don't shine in anyone's eyes.

From Wiki:

Fog lamps
Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[11][12][13] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[14]

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconcepion that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[15]

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

This is pulled directly from the Wyoming Department of Transportation Driver's Manual.

Rear fog lights (red) should only be used in heavy fog
or in similar hazardous weather conditions resulting
in seriously reduced visibility. Switch off your rear fog
lights once visibiltiy improves.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CJ

Just got back from test driving a Clubman S!  It was an auto, but that's okay for a test drive.  I'll get a review later.

MrH

Build your own Mini S.  We get these insider magazines at work that usually are very technical.  Our company does some work in the automotive industry, so we get some of these automotive design magazines.  I read a pretty lengthy one on the new Mini's engine design.  The new engine alone would be reason enough for me to get a new one.  And the Clubman looks like ass.  Especially the rear wipers.

Just get a new Cooper-S.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CJ

Here are the pictures from the visit to the dealer...and the BMW dealer next door.  I took a lot, so  56k be warned.

BMW X6...the only one in the state.

More of the X6, which looks terrific in person.

And now for the BMW dealership...

There you go.

CJ

I'm going to upload a lot of these again because I just used the mass upload thing, and the pictures turned out shitty.  I'll do it again in a little while.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on March 20, 2008, 10:25:47 AM

I like the union-jack wing mirrors.

Fine.

But don't send your money to the dealership and get raped. Find a decent striper to paint them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on March 20, 2008, 03:14:59 PM
Here are the pictures from the visit to the dealer...and the BMW dealer next door.  I took a lot, so  56k be warned.

Is it a sign of senility, psychosis, or just plain irrelevance that that is the car that I'd be most interested in among those photos?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

nickdrinkwater

I noticed few pictures of the car itself.  Is that because you now realise how shit the Clubman looks?  :devil:

CJ

I forgot to take a picture of the car.  Just forgot.  I was really excited to go on the test drive, and I just forgot.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 20, 2008, 12:35:30 PM
This is pulled directly from the Wyoming Department of Transportation Driver's Manual.

Rear fog lights (red) should only be used in heavy fog
or in similar hazardous weather conditions resulting
in seriously reduced visibility. Switch off your rear fog
lights once visibiltiy improves.

Right.  Just like normal lights are to be used when it's dark...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Is that a 348 with a fixed headlight conversion?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CJ

Yes.  It also has sliding windows and a rollbar. 

Raza

Catflaps?  Is it a racer?

Also, that X6 is hideous.  Worst looking BMW ever.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on March 20, 2008, 06:36:33 PM
Catflaps?  Is it a racer?

Also, that X6 is hideous.  Worst looking BMW ever.

The tow ring on the front and the covers over the foglights make me think it's probably setup for time attacks, rather than all-out racing.

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2008, 04:05:34 PM
Is it a sign of senility, psychosis, or just plain irrelevance that that is the car that I'd be most interested in among those photos?

It's a sign of good taste, Mr. Ville; a sign of good taste.

CJ

I hated the Clubman we drove.  Honestly.  The automatic in that car just saps all of the fun out of it, even as a passenger.  I need to ride in a manual Clubman.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on March 20, 2008, 06:20:19 PM
Right.  Just like normal lights are to be used when it's dark...

Yeah, but using headlights improperly does not hurt anyone.  But using fog lights improperly could blind people.  And with rear fog lights, you don't know if the assholes are riding their brakes when you're approaching those cars with fag lights on constantly.

Fog lights are useless in most parts anyways..

CALL_911

I'd take the JCW. I really like the one you posted. Also, a regular R56 S for a close second.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Is it just me or are a lot of the JCW upgrades overpriced?

$2100 for 17 hp? Do not want!

MX793

Quote from: thecarnut on March 19, 2008, 10:11:19 PM
$27k for a used compact car is never a good deal.

Then I guess $27K for a CPO 3-series or A4 is utter folly?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2008, 12:20:13 PM
Then I guess $27K for a CPO 3-series or A4 is utter folly?

poppycock.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Also, leatherette is utter shit.  The test car had it, and my back was dripping in sweat by the time the fifteen minute testdrive was over.  Leatherette=shit.

CALL_911

Quote from: CJ on March 21, 2008, 01:49:54 PM
Also, leatherette is utter shit.  The test car had it, and my back was dripping in sweat by the time the fifteen minute testdrive was over.  Leatherette=shit.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 21, 2008, 03:35:35 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree with CJ. BMW's leatherette feels like the same fabric patio furniture is made out of. Plain old cloth would've been much better.

CALL_911

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 21, 2008, 03:37:51 PM
I agree with CJ. BMW's leatherette feels like the same fabric patio furniture is made out of. Plain old cloth would've been much better.

I think it feels very HQ, a lot like real leather.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Can you convince your dad to get one of those old BMC Minis instead?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!