Turbo On The Way For Next VX

Started by BMWDave, July 15, 2005, 05:47:34 AM

BMWDave

Turbo On The Way For Next VX

here's a top-secret high-performance engine under the bonnet of this test car seen in this week's issue - and Auto Express can reveal that it's destined for the UK.

Seen here undergoing development in a Pontiac Solstice, the powerplant is a 250bhp 2.2-litre turbocharged four-cylinder unit. It will arrive in the UK in late 2006, clothed in the body of the Solstice's sister model, the Saturn Sky.

Set to be sold through Vauxhall main dealers, the sports car will be left-hand drive only and available in limited numbers. It will cost from around ?22,000, and should offer Porsche Boxster-like performance, so expect 0-60mph in five seconds and a top speed of 150mph.

Based on GM's all-new Kappa rear-wheel-drive platform, the Sky is a light- weight two-seater designed to deliver back-to-basics thrills. It will look similar to the Solstice but swap the split grille, teardrop headlights and big spotlamps for a more conventional wide air intake and narrow light arrangement. Inside, a low seating position, high gearlever and sweeping dash will create a sporty feel.

GM bosses say the Sky will appeal to enthusiasts thanks to its nimble handling and pin-sharp steering, and engineers are working hard to ensure it's a worthy successor to the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo. Standard kit is likely to be improved slightly over that car, with comfort enhanced to ensure that the Sky is suitable for everyday use.
Sam Hardy

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

I saw quite a few of those VX's over in England...though I didn't see any Opel Speedsters.  :angry:  

Laconian

You saw plenty of them:

Vauxhall = Opel
VX220 = Speedster
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Yeah, Vauxhall is Opel in England.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteYou saw plenty of them:

Vauxhall = Opel
VX220 = Speedster
Yes I know they are each other's clones, but I didn't see any Opel-badged ones...that's what I meant.