Update on Porsche Panamera

Started by autom?vel, July 15, 2005, 11:36:23 AM

autom?vel

What would you all think of a Maserati Quattroporte-style sedan coming from Porsche now that they already have an SUV?

Update on Porsche Panamera
Posted Jul 15, 2005, 10:00 AM ET by John Neff
Related entries: Sedans/Saloons

Apparently Porsche is close to making a final decision on whether to add a sedan to its portfolio. A lot of info has already been released on this vehicle, including its name, Panamera, which was registered by Porsche at the same time it registered the Cayman name. Earlier reports had the sedan appearing in 2009, but that date seems to have been moved up to 2008. No official word has come yet either on whether or not Porsche will work with VW again in the same manner it did with the Cayenne. Engines are expected to be based on the same 4.5L V8 motors found in the Cayenne and include naturally aspirated and turbo variants. If the Panamera does get approved, we can?t wait to see a head-to-head comparo against the MB CLS500.

Here's what Autoweek has already said about it:
Porsche?s anticipated fourth model line has a name: Panamera. Registered by Porsche at the same time as the Cayman moniker it is applying to the upcoming Boxster-based coupe, the new name is expected to grace a concept version of the car, which insiders describe as a combination of coupe and sedan, at the Frankfurt motor show in September.

Due out in 2008, the Panamera has been conceived as successor to the 928. Designed with space for four adults, it is also tipped to come clothed in a four-door body in a move that will pitch it into direct competition with cars like the Mercedes-Benz CLS and Maserati Quattroporte.

Secrecy surrounds the mechanical basis for the new car, though the Stuttgart rumor mill suggests Porsche chairman Wendelin Wiedeking has forged links with Volkswagen on a new rear-wheel-drive platform program in a move similar to that undertaken with the Cayenne and Touareg. Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder is interested in adding a new rear-wheel-drive model to the Volkswagen lineup between the Passat and Phaeton, and after the recent breakdown in talks with Maserati, it seems additional cooperation with Porsche may be in the cards.

Power for the new car is set to come from the same 4.5-liter V8 engines as those offered on the Cayenne. They include a naturally aspirated version with 340 hp and a turbo?charged unit with 450 hp. An even more powerful model with more than 500 hp is also in the pipeline. Up to 20,000 examples of the Panamera are expected to roll annually from Porsche?s Leipzig factory in Germany, where it will be produced alongside the Cayenne.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

autom?vel

Ack, sorry.   The picture was showing up when I previewed it.  :wacko:
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

mazda6er

I'll be interested to see what happens with this, and I'm especially curious about pricing. I assume that the pic (which I can see, by the way) is a photoshop, but it looks good. Like a combination of a DB9 and an RX-8.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

BMWDave

I really, really like this car :) I cant wait till it comes out.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

Any guesses on price?  125K?  More?

Raza

A successor the the 928 that costs over 100 grand?  I can't compete with the Quattroporte at that price.  

The photo looks alot like the 4-Door as well.  'Chop?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

autom?vel

Yeah, it's a photoshop.

Personally, after being subjugated to a Porsche SUV and seeing its success, a fast four door really doesn't sound too bad to me.   Take the Quattroporte for instance.  I love that car.  :wub:
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

BMWDave

QuoteYeah, it's a photoshop.

Personally, after being subjugated to a Porsche SUV and seeing its success, a fast four door really doesn't sound too bad to me.   Take the Quattroporte for instance.  I love that car.  :wub:
So do I :wub:  

But I think that a 125K pricetag would be too steep.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

El Barto

I would rather see a Porsche sedan than an SUV (although I like the Cayenne, 165 mph SUV :drool:).  I think 125k is a bit high.  I wouldnt be surprised to see it got for 80-90k, that would put it between the Quattroporte and CLS.  If Porsche can make an SUV do 165 mph I cant wait to see what they do with this.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

TBR

I would rather one not be produced, but if that is what it takes for them to continue to make 911s and Boxsters than so be it.  

ifcar

As more and more very sporty high-end sedans are being introduced, I don't see why a Porsche couldn't enter that market. As was said, it's certainly more loyal to the brand heritage than the Cayenne.  

Raza

Obviously, I have a problem with a Porsche sedan, from a heritage standpoint.  But as a man with a business nature, and a true love for Porsche, I'd like to see the brand exist.  This is the right move.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

However, I think they can come up with a better name than Panarama.  It's not a camera feature.

The naming department at Porsche sucks.  First the Cayenne (great pepper, not a great name for a car), the Cayman (Caiman is like a crocodile...Cayman is an overpriced tourist trap), and now the Panarama(...er...Panamera)?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

280Z Turbo

QuoteHowever, I think they can come up with a better name than Panarama.  It's not a camera feature.

The naming department at Porsche sucks.  First the Cayenne (great pepper, not a great name for a car), the Cayman (Caiman is like a crocodile...Cayman is an overpriced tourist trap), and now the Panarama(...er...Panamera)?
911 wasn't exactly genius either.

Raza

QuoteHowever, I think they can come up with a better name than Panarama.  It's not a camera feature.

The naming department at Porsche sucks.  First the Cayenne (great pepper, not a great name for a car), the Cayman (Caiman is like a crocodile...Cayman is an overpriced tourist trap), and now the Panarama(...er...Panamera)?
It comes from the first car, with a weight of 911 kilos.  That's where Mosler's MT900 comes from (Mosler Trenne 900 Kilogram, though they were overweight).  

And come to think of it, the Boxster isn't a very good name either.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaseyNPham

you guys don't like the Quattroporte like me!!!

That picture doesn't look too bad, but I don't think its a smart idea. Price is too high and they're gonna have a problem making the rear look like a Porshce AND a sedan.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

CaseyNPham

From what I read, is there going to be a coupe variant too?
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

giant_mtb

I say they just drop the plan. ^_^

Raza

QuoteI say they just drop the plan. ^_^
To keep the best company in the world alive, I think it's worth it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteHowever, I think they can come up with a better name than Panarama.  It's not a camera feature.

The naming department at Porsche sucks.  First the Cayenne (great pepper, not a great name for a car), the Cayman (Caiman is like a crocodile...Cayman is an overpriced tourist trap), and now the Panarama(...er...Panamera)?
It comes from the first car, with a weight of 911 kilos.  That's where Mosler's MT900 comes from (Mosler Trenne 900 Kilogram, though they were overweight).  

Actually Boxster is pretty creative imho, a mixture of Boxer and Speedster.  

giant_mtb

Actually Boxster is pretty creative imho, a mixture of Boxer and Speedster.
Yeah but it looks like it's spelled wrong...Boxster?  :blink:    :lol:  

GMPenguin

I can't see it. :(

And personally I think this is a stupid idea.

TBR

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!