"Baby" Rolls Royce spy pic.

Started by Galaxy, April 01, 2008, 06:10:52 AM

Galaxy

This is RR's competitor against the Bentley Continental.
I almost though that this project was dead, since we have heard nothing about it these last few years.
From what I can tell it looks good. Not as unelegantly sqared off at the front like the Phantom. More like the  elegant cabrio and coup?.

It is based on the current 7er and will use a modified version of the BMW V8. The use of diesels is being considered.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport

sportyaccordy

Are they looking to come out with a C-Class competitor? Possibly based off the Golf chassis?

:rolleyes:

dinkeldorf

It makes sense for BMWRR to come out with a Bentley replacement since they stole, I say stole, RR from VAG. Can't wait to see it without camo. Sporty's right though - I hope they don't cheapen the currency by going too far down market  :lol:

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: dinkeldorf on April 01, 2008, 08:10:12 AM
It makes sense for BMWRR to come out with a Bentley replacement since they stole, I say stole, RR from VAG. Can't wait to see it without camo. Sporty's right though - I hope they don't cheapen the currency by going too far down market  :lol:

I'm glad that RR and Bentley separated.  It's interesting to see what both companies are coming up with in competition against oneanother.

BimmerM3

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 01, 2008, 08:29:45 AM
I'm glad that RR and Bentley separated.  It's interesting to see what both companies are coming up with in competition against oneanother.

+1. Having them together would be like MB and BMW merging.

Pommes-T

hmmmm. I don't know. It looks like they would try to adapt the large, massive, impressive, ?n the face rubbing that there's a rich guy inside design on a smaller car.  I'm not sure if this will work.

I think Bentley was right to create a way more sportive and way less expensive car under the Arnage. It delivers a different concept  and so this car doesn't give the image "oh, he's rich, but he couldn't afford the real Bentley", because it is totally different.

One question: Has there ever been a smaller Rolls Royce under "the" Rolls Royce?
'00 BMW 523i

J86

Galaxy

Quote from: Pommes-T on April 01, 2008, 02:59:44 PM
One question: Has there ever been a smaller Rolls Royce under "the" Rolls Royce?

Yes. The Phantom was always the most exclusive model, if one was available. Cars like the Silver Cloud and Silver Spirit where positioned lower.

I would very much like for the Silver Cloud name to be reborn.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 01, 2008, 06:58:27 AM
Are they looking to come out with a C-Class competitor? Possibly based off the Golf chassis?

Why roll your eyes?  They're competing with Bentley, which is their most natural competitor.  It's okay for Bentley to have a small car but not for Rolls Royce? 

Save your eye rolling when they come out with an SUV.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 01, 2008, 06:58:27 AM

The Phantom is also on the 7er platform.

sandertheshark

As long as it has suicide doors (which this apparently does) they can make it as small as they like.

dinkeldorf

And keep the brolley holder, and ergo sloped rear floors. I reckon they should mimic that Rolls that appears in the Thunderbirds animatronic series in the 60s.

akuma_supreme

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 01, 2008, 05:51:56 PM
As long as it has suicide doors (which this apparently does) they can make it as small as they like.

With the lesser luxury makes moving down into super mini territory, and with cities continuing to densify, maybe its time for Rolls to consider something even smaller than this car.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 04, 2008, 10:35:06 AM
With the lesser luxury makes moving down into super mini territory, and with cities continuing to densify, maybe its time for Rolls to consider something even smaller than this car.
A Rolls Royce Mini??

akuma_supreme

dinkeldorf

Is that a Rolls Royce Hillman Hunter?

akuma_supreme

Quote from: dinkeldorf on April 04, 2008, 06:52:43 PM
Is that a Rolls Royce Hillman Hunter?

Its a Panther model based off the Triumph Dolomite.  When it was new, it was one of the most expensive cars on the market.

dinkeldorf

Ahhhh twas one or t'other. More ale & I would've got there. Funny thing is my Dad had a toledo when I was young & it so scarred me...