Cracked Windshield On My Sequoia

Started by Catman, July 15, 2005, 07:53:48 PM

Catman

Yesterday I noticed a slight (3") crack on the passengers side of my windshield.  The crack starts at the top near the roof and is migrating down, it's like 6" now.  What the hell caused this, it's doesn't look like something hit it. <_<  

footoflead

QuoteYesterday I noticed a slight (3") crack on the passengers side of my windshield.  The crack starts at the top near the roof and is migrating down, it's like 6" now.  What the hell caused this, it's doesn't look like something hit it. <_<
The mysterys of the world...they can really piss you off sometimes :angry:

Whatever caused it...it gonna halfta be replaced..but i'm sure you know that <_<  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

mazda6er

Could've been a little rock/pebble from the road caused a miniscule fracture that worsened with time/temp changes. I'd assume you could get that replaced under your warranty if you did a little arm twisting, but the dealer might not happily agree this falls under the terms of the deal.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

giant_mtb

Sometimes harsh impacts (large potholes, curbs at accelerated speeds, serious off-roading, etc) can cause cracks in the windshield...I've seen it happen.  But don't fret too much about getting 'er replaced ASAP, it won't kill you to have a crack in the windshield...there's one in the '98 Explorers that's well over 8 inches long and it's been there for at least six months...we will eventually get it replaced once it gets too large that it's a hazard, but no biggy.

Catman

Well, it's illegal to drive around with a cracked windshield here for too long but on the good side it's 100% covered by insurance so it will cost nothing to replace.

ifcar

Except your deductible, and they may decide to raise your insurance payments.

JWC

Close inspection of the crack should reveal a small pit in the glass that would be the impact point of a small rock/pebble. If you do not see one, run it by a glass shop and ask them to take a look. If they fail to see any reason for the crack to start--and the vehicle is still under its bumper-to-bumper base warranty--take it to the dealer.

Stress cracks are covered under warranty by most manufacturers.  If your dealer says "no", get a second opinion from another dealer. Each franchise is required to follow guidelines set forth in the W&P book, but most decisions about glass are the discretion of the service manager or body shop manager. Since the original glass will come apart when removed, the manufacturer will not call for a return of the part.

Catman

Yeah, closer inspection revealed a nick in the glass right at the crack.

In MA windshield replacement is 100% covered with no deductible.

Tom

QuoteYeah, closer inspection revealed a nick in the glass right at the crack.

But will they use it to raise your payments?

Catman

QuoteYeah, closer inspection revealed a nick in the glass right at the crack.

But will they use it to raise your payments?
No

R33 GT-R

Catman has what's known as 0 deductible Comprehensive coverage which means all comprehensive claims are at no charge to him.  So if one of those trees in his treeline decides to fall on his vehicle or a hail storm comes through and gives him thousands of small dents he files his claim and it's fixed or replaced with no out of pocket expense.  Carrying this does however come at a price but it's not that much more than having a 50 or 100 dollar comp ded.  Comp claims will usually not count against you unless it's some form of negligence on your part like leaving you vehicle unlocked and expensive items being stolen or repeated vandalism claims.  Being an insurance agent I keep my collision deductible high at 1k and my comp at 0, this gives me free comp plus keeps money in my pocket instead of theirs.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Catman

Right, I believe the 0 deductible is for glass only and is state mandated.

R33 GT-R

Yep the state dictates what it's going to allow us to do and what we can't.

Catman

Catman

QuoteIt'll be fixed tomorrow. :rockon:
That's 1000!  Booo Yah! :rockon:  

R33 GT-R

R33 GT-R

I will validate with 1000 posts today.   :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  

Colonel Cadillac

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of insurance if you file a claim and then they raise your payments? How is that fair?  

Raza

That's Toyota quality for you...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

QuoteThat's Toyota quality for you...
Like new again! :rockon:  

The Bartender

Even if the state doesn't mandate it, most insurance companies have lower or no deductible for glass only claims, because they are easy to handle and the insurance companies all have sweetheart deals worked out with the major glass suppliers.  In some cases, Safelite Auto Glass even handles the claim paperwork.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

Catman

QuoteEven if the state doesn't mandate it, most insurance companies have lower or no deductible for glass only claims, because they are easy to handle and the insurance companies all have sweetheart deals worked out with the major glass suppliers.  In some cases, Safelite Auto Glass even handles the claim paperwork.
That's true, I didn't even hace to talk with my agent.  The glass company handled all the paperwork. B)