California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Started by ChrisV, April 04, 2008, 11:19:18 AM

Lazerous

Quote from: Raza  on April 06, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
How do you start with fists without using words first?  Unless you punch a person as soon as they say something. 

It is possible, like if a person looks at you the wrong way and it really isn't your day so you just feed him a knuckle sandwich.

Admittedly you would have to have a really bad temper, but Rohan seems to have that one down.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Lazerous on April 06, 2008, 08:48:16 PM
It is possible, like if a person looks at you the wrong way and it really isn't your day so you just feed him a knuckle sandwich.
Like Trep? :devil: :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lazerous

Quote from: thecarnut on April 06, 2008, 08:49:23 PM
Like Trep? :devil: :lol:

Not entirely sure how he applies to this. Did he claim to have punched somebody for looking at him wrong?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Lazerous on April 06, 2008, 09:02:27 PM
Not entirely sure how he applies to this. Did he claim to have punched somebody for looking at him wrong?
Nevermind.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14133.msg798971#msg798971 date=1207536115
How do you start with fists without using words first?  Unless you punch a person as soon as they say something. 

You get caught in bed with his wife.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2008, 11:32:13 AM
Rohan, thanks for the PM.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kindly change your name, Rohan. I cannot have someone with my name be so damn stupid.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 11:55:26 AM
It seems like as long as the asshole police claims its purpose is street racing, they can do whatever the fuck they want, including confiscating your car and destroying it.

Ah, yes.  Good old code 23109-2.

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 11:45:42 AM
FUCK POLICE FUCK POLICE FUCK :rage:

Indeed.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on April 06, 2008, 09:20:27 PM
You get caught in bed with his wife.

No, that starts with words.  Usually four letter ones.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14133.msg799232#msg799232 date=1207544871
No, that starts with words.  Usually four letter ones.

Friend is a four letter word.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 06, 2008, 09:33:25 PM
Why are all those 12 year olds giving me "the shocker?"

I have no idea.  I also can't tell if they're in Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on April 06, 2008, 11:09:36 PM
Friend is a four letter word.

End is the only part of the word that I heard.  Call me morbid or absurd, but to me, coming from you, friend is a four letter word. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 06, 2008, 03:14:19 PM
All that for calling him a hypocrite?

Was he simply trying to prove you right? It makes me nervous that guys with that short of a fuse are allowed to carry a badge. If it wasn't for the measured and intelligent responses of Bing-Oh in this topic, and if I let his actions influence my opinions of cops as a whole too much, I'd share some of the less civilised opinions that have been written here.

And look where my "measured and intelligent responses" got me. It's alright to bash the officers but bad form for us to respond in kind (not directed toward you, Soup, as you've been a mature contributor to his debate, but very much directed toward several of the other posters)? Why put time, thought, and effort into a debate when it only gets you a hardy "fuck you?" Isn't it just easier to take Rohan's route?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: bing_oh on April 05, 2008, 12:42:39 AM

Please note the bolded section. How does a comment made at an unrelated incident with potentially differing circumstances have anything to do with the enforcement that the story is talking about?

I don't see how that matters. It's about the attitude he expressed towards the car hobby.

There's nothing wrong owning a modified Honda, Toyota, VW, etc, especially if it can still pass a smog sniffer test.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on April 06, 2008, 11:53:32 PM
And look where my "measured and intelligent responses" got me. It's alright to bash the officers but bad form for us to respond in kind (not directed toward you, Soup, as you've been a mature contributor to his debate, but very much directed toward several of the other posters)? Why put time, thought, and effort into a debate when it only gets you a hardy "fuck you?" Isn't it just easier to take Rohan's route?

It's bad form on both sides, yes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Insults are one thing, but threats made over the internet are something else entirely. What better way to set oneself apart as a moron than to try to intimidate someone with physical force when it should be pretty clear that there's no way to follow through on the threat. Via a private message, too, like that somehow makes it more threatening.

And did we not notice that Rohan is a freaking LEO, and he should really know better than to turn into an asshole high school jock picking on the geeky kids?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Northlands

Quote from: Psilos on April 07, 2008, 03:44:47 AM
Insults are one thing, but threats made over the internet are something else entirely. What better way to set oneself apart as a moron than to try to intimidate someone with physical force when it should be pretty clear that there's no way to follow through on the threat. Via a private message, too, like that somehow makes it more threatening.

And did we not notice that Rohan is a freaking LEO, and he should really know better than to turn into an asshole high school jock picking on the geeky kids?

This is precisely what I was getting at.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

bing_oh

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 07, 2008, 12:53:55 AM
I don't see how that matters. It's about the attitude he expressed towards the car hobby.

There's nothing wrong owning a modified Honda, Toyota, VW, etc, especially if it can still pass a smog sniffer test.

There's nothing that says that particular officer was even on the scene of the most recent enforcement action. Are all officers to be judged by the comments and actions of that one officer (and assuming that the comment wasn't taken out of context)? Wasn't there a good deal of bitching about "guilt by association" on the other side of this just a little while ago? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on April 07, 2008, 03:44:47 AM

I'm not going to defend Randy's comment...he's a big boy and can defend it if he so chooses. But, let's not try to paint this as an unprovoked attack. There were multiple posters who had gotten downright nasty before Rohan jumped into tht fray. And there shouldn't be any special standard for LEO's behaviors, especially off duty. If we're held to a higher standard around here, then maybe everybody else should consider aspiring to that same standard. Until that happens, I suppose juvenile behavior will be the norm.

FoMoJo

I was livid until I read "a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars " and then I figured...not much different than cops hanging around Harvey's on a typical Saturday night way back when.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on April 07, 2008, 12:39:51 PM
I'm not going to defend Randy's comment...he's a big boy and can defend it if he so chooses. But, let's not try to paint this as an unprovoked attack. There were multiple posters who had gotten downright nasty before Rohan jumped into tht fray. And there shouldn't be any special standard for LEO's behaviors, especially off duty. If we're held to a higher standard around here, then maybe everybody else should consider aspiring to that same standard. Until that happens, I suppose juvenile behavior will be the norm.

Well, none of the posts were directed at him but towards the Riverside sheriff's dept and all those involved.

Anyways, one thing though, does the higher standards thing apply to driving though?  Should officers be held to a higher standard when driving both on and off duty or they're free to drive like anyone else when they're off duty? 

Catman

I've been busy lately and just now got back to this thread.  I am totally disappointed with the BS said here.  I'm going to step away for a bit, but some of you guys are totally out of line.  :lockedup:  I'm really pissed.