California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Started by ChrisV, April 04, 2008, 11:19:18 AM

ChrisV

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

"Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using $503,000 in federal and state gas tax revenue to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on April 04, 2008, 11:19:18 AM
"Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Anyone who asks that should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car, much less a police cruiser :rage:

The only mod I've recently had on a car is a CARB-legal cold air intake for the s2000, but agencies who waste public resources hassling people instead of cracking down on real crime can suck my balls. :evildude:

Don't you need a warrant to search under the engine of a car?

Laconian

That's insane and completely unfair. I wonder if they have ever pulled over Paris Hilton and ask her why the hell she needs a twin turbo V12 in her SLR? Only the rich may have horsepower. :rolleyes:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14133.msg796622#msg796622 date=1207331535
Wait; modifying an engine is illegal?

It seems like as long as the asshole police claims its purpose is street racing, they can do whatever the fuck they want, including confiscating your car and destroying it. Otherwise, I don't think modifying an engine is illegal unless it violates C.A.R.B. standards.

Cookie Monster

That is fucking stupid! The dark tint and no license plate thing is ok, but people like to do engine mods to race on the track maybe?!

Z0MG u guise haz engin modz!!11! j00 must be st33t razing!!!!11!

WTF :rolleyes:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2008, 11:52:15 AM
Wait; modifying an engine is illegal?

In CA, the only street-legal mods you can make are ones approved by the CA Air Resources Board (CARB). We can buy and install any mod we want, but it would be labeled "off-road use only" and they can issue tickets for that. It's what sucks most about CA :rage:

Aftermarket exhausts (up to a certain dB level) are still allowed, as long as everything from the catalytic converter back remains factory or CARB-approved.

Byteme

This happens more than you might think.

Houston 2002.

concerns Wednesday about a Kmart parking lot raid earlier this month in which dozens of people were arrested.

VIDEO
Aug. 28: Police Chief Discusses Case
Aug. 20: Watch Aguirre's Full Interview

SURVEY
Was The Parking Lot Raid Warranted?
DISCUSSION
What Do You Think Of The Parking Lot Raid? 

The raid happened Aug. 19 in the parking lot of a Kmart department store, located in the 8400 block of Westheimer Road, in southwest Houston. 

HPD officials had previously said that it conducted the crackdown in response to numerous complaints from citizens and previous police surveillance regarding street racing and large crowds forming in the area.

Police said that these crowds impeded the access to and from businesses and that as a result of the operation 278 people were arrested with the majority being charged with criminal trespass.

"Zero tolerance does not override the need for probable cause to issue citations or to make arrests, nor does it mean to arrest everyone in sight," Bradford said.

Bradford answered some tough questions Wednesday for more than two hours by some members of the City Council.

He admitted that the parking lot raid arrests may be illegal, if people were never told they were trespassing and given a chance to leave.

Bradford said that if that's true, then he wonders why his officers followed an illegal order to arrest everyone.

"No officer in the Houston Police Department has ever been cited with insubordination or any other offense for their refusal to obey an unlawful order nor will they be on my watch," Bradford said.

Councilman Mark Ellis and others said that they wondered why no one blew the whistle before this raid, because a smaller sweep was done the night before at a James Coney Island eatery in which 25 people were arrested.

"Friday night, I didn't know. A chief in charge of the department didn't know, because no one reported it in a significant event report that it had occurred," Bradford said. "So, therefore, there was not that opportunity to intervene before the next night occurred."

The city attorney told the council that if an internal affairs investigation reveals that the arrests were illegal, the city will dismiss all of the charges against all of the people and even overturn the convictions for those who pleaded guilty to get out of jail.

Thirteen officers have been suspended in the wake of the raid, including the officer in charge of the operation, Capt. Mike Aguirre.

One of those people arrested has filed a $100 million lawsuit against the city, accusing Aguirre and the city of falsely arresting him for "attempted trespass."

Previous Stories:
August 27, 2002: Police Suspend 12 More Officers In Parking Lot Raid
August 26, 2002: Memo Sheds Light On Parking Lot Raid
August 22, 2002: Raid At Hot Dog Joint Preceded Kmart Arrests
August 21, 2002: Big Rig Collides With Police Officer's Car
August 20, 2002: HPD To Investigate Arrests Of 278 People

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on April 04, 2008, 11:59:28 AM
That is fucking stupid! The dark tint and no license plate thing is ok, but people like to do engine mods to race on the track maybe?!

Z0MG u guise haz engin modz!!11! j00 must be st33t razing!!!!11!

WTF :rolleyes:

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 04, 2008, 12:00:21 PM
In CA, the only street-legal mods you can make are ones approved by the CA Air Resources Board (CARB). We can buy and install any mod we want, but it would be labeled "off-road use only" and they can issue tickets for that. It's what sucks most about CA :rage:

Aftermarket exhausts (up to a certain dB level) are still allowed, as long as everything from the catalytic converter back remains factory or CARB-approved.

The People's Republic of California's War on the Car continues.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 04, 2008, 12:00:21 PM

Oh, that's right. Any non-OEM part must have a CARB certification - regardless of whether or not it violates any of the actual standards, the part has to go through the whole certification process. So, that pretty much rules out anything custom made - everything must be bought from a manufacturer that has enough money to get their products certified. Fuck California.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2008, 12:25:31 PM
The People's Republic of California's War on the Car continues.

Honestly, the only thing it would hold me back from would be my first amendment right to assembly. Which sucks, but there have been ways to get around the engine mod ban.

For example, I had "illegal" intakes on two of my old cars, and the only way they find out you have it (besides raiding the gatherings of these "hoodlums") is when you take your car in for the biannual smog check. Pop the factory intake back on for the smog check, get your certificate, and pop the aftermarket intake back on when you get home. It's not quite so easy for aftermarket hearers, or probably even chipped engines, but it's possible, if a huge PITA.

traumadog

A viewpoint from the "other side" was posted in the local paper:
http://www.pe.com/localnews/riverside/stories/PE_News_Local_R_streetrace01.4234d9b.html

Quote10:57 AM PDT on Tuesday, April 1, 2008

By JESSICA LOGAN
The Press-Enterprise

Riverside police may have put a dent in local street racing Friday when about 100 officers raided a parking lot on Valley Springs Parkway, where suspected racers are known to congregate.

Police from Riverside and other agencies shut off the exits to the lot to inspect more than 150 vehicles. Officers wrote a similar number of citations, including 48 for illegal modifications common to street racing, according to a police news release.

Twenty vehicles were towed from the scene as part of a crackdown funded by a $503,000 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, according to a police news release.

Police spokesman Steven Frasher said officers had been monitoring illegal activity in the lot for weeks. The large number of people who received tickets for illegal modifications common to street racing confirmed officers' suspicions that the lot was a hotbed of street racing activity, he said.

"Almost every vehicle that was there, even if they weren't street racing, they were ... an audience," Frasher said, adding that the lot was full of skid marks left behind by racers.

Neighboring business managers at Hooters Restaurant and John's Incredible Pizza are glad the problem was addressed. At times, they said, cars speed through their parking lots, threatening the safety of others and scaring away customers.

"They seek a big parking lot and ours is huge," said Jim Finigan, director of operations at John's Incredible Pizza.

He was seconded by Chris Guillet, manager of the Riverside Hooters Restaurant, who said problem drivers speed through his lot, barely avoiding collisions. While he was grateful for the police intervention, "I think it just moves the problem to another area," Guillet said.

Police organized a similar raid in 2006 at the Target store on Tyler Street. They believe street racing has killed at least two people in Riverside in recent years, including Reyna De Leon, 38, in 2006, and 14-year-old Carlos Cisneros in 2007.

"By its nature, (the street racing problem) can get up and go someplace else," Frasher said. He added, however, the problem may at least be solved at the Valley Springs Parkway location. "We were able to send a strong message that ... we are cracking down on this activity and we won't tolerate it," Frasher said.

He added that police will continue the fight against street racing, but he declined to give details.

On Friday, cars ranging from broken-down Hondas to shiny, new Ford Mustangs and BMWs lined up for the police inspection. Some car owners were ticketed for replacing a small exhaust pipe with a larger one that makes the car run louder.

John Ferrier got a "fix-it ticket," he said, because his car's exhaust system was too noisy. And yet the 21-year-old Moreno Valley resident said he was happy the police were cracking down on Honda drivers. He blames them for reckless maneuvers such as "burning out" and "doing doughnuts."

"That's what attracted the police attention," Ferrier said. "I'm glad they're here to stop people before they do something stupid."

Michael Calderon, 22, of San Bernardino, stood in the parking lot as his 1995 Honda Civic hatchback, which he bought for $600, was loaded onto a tow truck.

Police impounded his car because officers believed some of its parts were stolen.

Calderon said he bought the parts from a reputable business.

"It's devastating," said Calderon, who spent $20,000 on car improvements. "That's my soul right there. This is the worst night of my life."

And it wasn't over yet. He still needed someone to pick him up -- but first he had to find a friend whose car passed inspection.

Reach Jessica Logan at 951-368-9466 at jlogan@PE.com
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

Champ

Police would have a field day at the "back to the 50's" event held here anually.

Last year there were 11,500 street rods registered.  I bet a lot of them had "modified engines".   :evildude:

And they are certainly just as guilty for "doing burnouts" and donuts...

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on April 04, 2008, 11:42:48 AM
That's insane and completely unfair. I wonder if they have ever pulled over Paris Hilton and ask her why the hell she needs a twin turbo V12 in her SLR? Only the rich may have horsepower. :rolleyes:
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Middle_Path

Quote from: traumadog on April 04, 2008, 01:52:40 PM
A viewpoint from the "other side" was posted in the local paper:

And the other side still stinks. No warrants, evidence, or anything other than they looked like street racers. Cops can be so full of fail sometimes.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Soup DeVille

It's quite clear that there are certain elements of society that believe people should be allowed to do nothing but work and pay taxes, and if necessary, they may eat, sleep and shit. All other activites not given the explicit endorsement of society at large are presumed to be criminal.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Champ on April 04, 2008, 02:53:57 PM
Police would have a field day at the "back to the 50's" event held here anually.

Last year there were 11,500 street rods registered.  I bet a lot of them had "modified engines".   :evildude:

And they are certainly just as guilty for "doing burnouts" and donuts...

I believe Pre-1973 or 1974 cars are legal to modify as they please because they're exempt..

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 04, 2008, 04:02:54 PM
It's quite clear that there are certain elements of society that believe people should be allowed to do nothing but work and pay taxes, and if necessary, they may eat, sleep and shit. All other activites not given the explicit endorsement of society at large are presumed to be criminal.

Another thing is, they're willing to do that because of the demographics are less likely to resist as they have less resources.  If there's a higher end car gathering, it's less likely to see them do such as thing even if there's as much if not more "illegal" items on the car, because if they do, most likely they'll have a lot of lawyers on them pretty soon.

280Z Turbo

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2008, 06:29:24 PM
No, they said China wasn't that bad.

Sander got pissed at me for calling California "The Nanny State".

They should put that on their license plates.

Soup DeVille

I mean think about this for a second: 100 officers from 9 departments, $500,000 in overtime costs alone.

What else is that kind of force used for? Riot control? Disaster Relief?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Northlands

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 04, 2008, 06:38:34 PM
I mean think about this for a second: 100 officers from 9 departments, $500,000 in overtime costs alone.

What else is that kind of force used for? Riot control? Disaster Relief?

Just imagine if the "wrong element " got a hold of info like that before a raid of the anti-car nature went down.

Hell, I'd almost be tempted to join in on some mass robbery. Who would be around to stop all those theives?  :huh:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

FlatBlackCaddy

"And yet the 21-year-old Moreno Valley resident said he was happy the police were cracking down on Honda drivers. He blames them for reckless maneuvers such as "burning out" and "doing doughnuts.""

Talented bunch them honda drivers.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Northlands on April 04, 2008, 07:46:30 PM
Just imagine if the "wrong element " got a hold of info like that before a raid of the anti-car nature went down.

Hell, I'd almost be tempted to join in on some mass robbery. Who would be around to stop all those theives?  :huh:

That would suck for the robbery victims, but it would teach those cops involved a lesson to fight real crime instead.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Northlands on April 04, 2008, 07:46:30 PM

I think with that big number for overtime money, that they wouldn't have to divert regular patrols anywhere.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 04, 2008, 07:51:30 PM
"And yet the 21-year-old Moreno Valley resident said he was happy the police were cracking down on Honda drivers. He blames them for reckless maneuvers such as "burning out" and "doing doughnuts.""

Talented bunch them honda drivers.
I never knew Honda Civics and CRX's were RWD. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on April 04, 2008, 08:13:31 PM
I never knew Honda Civics and CRX's were RWD. :huh:

They could be S2000s and NSXs too,

but yeah, not likely...

I'm thinking the odds are that if they asked a guy in a Honda the same question he'd complain about the Toyota guys.