2010 Ford Taurus pic leaked

Started by crv16, April 09, 2008, 07:00:31 AM

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2008, 11:51:37 AM
Are the American cars really that bigger than ours, though?

Is your Focus bigger than ours?  Your Fusion can't be bigger than our Mondeo because the Mondeo is huge (bigger than a 5-Series).  Ok so the 500/Taurus/whatever it's going to called next is big, but does anyone buy it?  We have the Galaxy in Europe, but I don't think Ford have an equivalent in America, unless I'm mistaken.

I don't see any of our cars in North America with different sheetmetal.

Fair comment if the build quality/reliability is up.  But people expect that to be good, it's not really an advantage in the market. 

Bottom line is that Ford is still losing money, so they need to make desirable cars that you guys actually want to buy.  They manage it here, why not there?  Or is the business environment in the US significantly different, and it's hard to do that and turn a profit at the same time?

A mistake would be going too much after what car enthusiasts want. Toyota has it figured out. Ford screwed up the Five Hundred and Taurus with name-juggling at least as much as anything else about them, but Americans happily by hundreds of thousands of cars that size every year. The comparable Chevrolet Impala is one of the country's best sellers, and it's very popular even discounting high fleet sales. The Focus's difference is price, not size.

Tastes just are different. Softer, quieter, with big-car feel (whether achieved by engineering or sheer size) and as much power as possible.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2008, 11:54:25 AM
I don't think it's built there.  I might be wrong though.

It wouldn't make any sense that they would build them just south of the border, but not for the USA or Canada.  Mind you, it hardly makes sense if they import the C1 for Mexico but not the rest of North America.
The Focus is built in Mexico.  Even my SVT Focus was built there.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 11, 2008, 01:19:02 PM

But the C1 is still built in Europe and imported.  It sells in Mexico without many of the safety and luxury features that are offered on it everywhere else in the world.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on April 11, 2008, 01:22:14 PM
But the C1 is still built in Europe and imported.  It sells in Mexico without many of the safety and luxury features that are offered on it everywhere else in the world.

But in Mexico, as in Europe, "compact" is a higher class of car than here, so I would think they can better get away with charging more and selling a lower volume.

That said, if we had the Fiesta here, and it was roomy and powerful enough for American tastes, they might be able to get away with upscaling our Focus. But until then, it has to serve as Ford's entry-level car, with a very low price. C1 can't offer that.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 11, 2008, 01:19:02 PM

Nope. They're all built in Michigan now, AFAIK.

Only the hatches were built in Mexico.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on April 11, 2008, 01:26:26 PM
But in Mexico, as in Europe, "compact" is a higher class of car than here, so I would think they can better get away with charging more and selling a lower volume.

That said, if we had the Fiesta here, and it was roomy and powerful enough for American tastes, they might be able to get away with upscaling our Focus. But until then, it has to serve as Ford's entry-level car, with a very low price. C1 can't offer that.

This is exactly what they're planning on doing.

Also, the president of Ford Mexico, to paraphrase what she said, said that in the Mexico and Central/South America market, they basically play a game called "what can we take out."  Believe it or not, they could not re-engineer the car to be cheaper (more profitable, especially with the weak dollar) for the US while still keeping all of the necessary features, so we didn't get it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 11, 2008, 10:54:24 AM
I don't think that Ford can figure this one out either.  If I were to buy a new small truck I would buy a Ranger simply because it's cheap and robust.  I've even been looking at used Rangers and was surprised at the prices they are asking.  I think that Ford is making a mistake by discontinuing it, especially if they are planning to replace it with something bigger and less rugged like the rest of the manufacturers have.
Me too.  I would buy a Ranger right now as well if I was in the market for a small pickup.  Though the Colorado might sway me away from the Ranger because of the 4 doors.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on April 09, 2008, 07:03:31 AM
It doesn't look big enough to slot above the Fusion, and they seem to be Chrysler-ing the beltline. Best of luck to them, though.

i agree, iffy. it looks a lot like a chrysler - the all new sebring sedan.

ford keeps changing it's look, especially the front end. so the recently introduced horizontal grille is out already?! the ford 500/taurus did not need another "quick fix" - rather a very well thought-out makeover. another piece of advice:

change the damn name. introduce it as an "all new" vehicle and make it such. taurus is dated. the 500 didn't work.

Atomic

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 10:21:17 AM
It was stylish in a Al Gore kind of way.

better than bush, though  :ohyeah: !

SVT666

Quote from: Atomic on April 11, 2008, 04:24:57 PM
i agree, iffy. it looks a lot like a chrysler - the all new sebring sedan.

It doesn't look anything like a Sebring. :nutty:

Quote from: crv16 on April 09, 2008, 07:00:31 AM

Save for some details the front end and proportions look freaking identical to a Sonata.

How could one not see the obvious resemblence.  If this was made by some Chinese manufacture, every post here would be about how derivative and an obvious copy it is. 

ThunderCharger

IMHO it doesn't really look like a Hyundai nor are the proportions identical.

hotrodalex

It's a sedan. Most mid/full size sedans look similar, since there's not much room for deviation.

thewizard16

It looks nice in a Hyundai/Lexus blend way.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Atomic

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 11, 2008, 11:18:48 PM
It doesn't look anything like a Sebring. :nutty:

:wtf: i'm entitled to my opinion; you're entitled to yours.

ChrisV

Quote from: 565 on April 12, 2008, 11:17:37 AM
Save for some details the front end and proportions look freaking identical to a Sonata.

How could one not see the obvious resemblence.  If this was made by some Chinese manufacture, every post here would be about how derivative and an obvious copy it is. 

Oh, it's silver. Yeah, that makes it identical.

Not even close. The headlights are considerably different, the upper grilles are completely different, the lower grilles are VASTLY different, the driving light scoop area is completely different.

But they both have round tires. I'll give you that.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on April 15, 2008, 06:43:14 AM
Oh, it's silver. Yeah, that makes it identical.

Not even close. The headlights are considerably different, the upper grilles are completely different, the lower grilles are VASTLY different, the driving light scoop area is completely different.

But they both have round tires. I'll give you that.

And in both cases the tires are black.   :devil:

I agree, just about any 4 door sedan is going to look like anybody else's.  Why, because they have the same design goals in mind, minimum drag, maximum use of space and similar overall dimensions.

SVT666

Quote from: Atomic on April 14, 2008, 04:21:32 PM
:wtf: i'm entitled to my opinion; you're entitled to yours.

...and yours is wrong. :praise:

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on April 09, 2008, 11:01:16 AM
I don't think it looks like a Hyundai. I think it looks like a larger version of the new Mondeo, and definitely takes styling cues from the Iosis show car.

I really think it looks attractive.

i agree with chris for once
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 11, 2008, 01:49:22 PM
Me too.  I would buy a Ranger right now as well if I was in the market for a small pickup.  Though the Colorado might sway me away from the Ranger because of the 4 doors.

I like the Ranger as well... tough as hell, actually a compact in size unlike how its competitors grown over the years to just a smidge under full size, and has good gas mileage
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

nickdrinkwater

Is this going to be based on that new Lincoln sedan they're bringing out?

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 15, 2008, 07:54:34 AM
Is this going to be based on that new Lincoln sedan they're bringing out?

Both the MKS and the current Taurus (and I assume the upcoming Taurus) are Volvo-based.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on April 15, 2008, 08:22:37 AM
Both the MKS and the current Taurus (and I assume the upcoming Taurus) are Volvo-based.

Is that the new S80 chassis?

dinkeldorf

Ooooohhhh with the v8 + AWD? Hardly, I thought this was just lippie on the pig.

SVT666

Ford Design Center bans 'Take You Child To Work Day' due to leaks
April 18

Following the leak of a single camera-phone photo of the 2010 Ford Taurus, Ford has told employees, children will not be allowed at its Design Center on the nationally recognized "Take You Child To Work Day" on April 24th. The directive comes from design boss Peter Horbury.

According to our sources, and based on the recent internal spy photos of the upcoming Ford Taurus, parents who work at the Design Center will not be allowed to bring their children to work, and it's unlikely alternate accommodations have been made for these parents and children.

We're trying to get a copy of the memo, but in the meantime - we think Ford needs to find a new place for these families to "share" what mom and/or dad do on April 24th.

It's unclear if Ford has determined how the Taurus photo leaked or how it relates to Take You Child To Work Day.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 19, 2008, 11:21:25 PM
Ford Design Center bans 'Take You Child To Work Day' due to leaks
April 18

Following the leak of a single camera-phone photo of the 2010 Ford Taurus, Ford has told employees, children will not be allowed at its Design Center on the nationally recognized "Take You Child To Work Day" on April 24th. The directive comes from design boss Peter Horbury.

According to our sources, and based on the recent internal spy photos of the upcoming Ford Taurus, parents who work at the Design Center will not be allowed to bring their children to work, and it's unlikely alternate accommodations have been made for these parents and children.

We're trying to get a copy of the memo, but in the meantime - we think Ford needs to find a new place for these families to "share" what mom and/or dad do on April 24th.

It's unclear if Ford has determined how the Taurus photo leaked or how it relates to Take You Child To Work Day.

There's plenty of other places at R&E to see, and so few employees actually work exclusively in the design center that I can't imagine that this effects many people too much.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Atomic

Submariner

Quote from: Byteme on April 15, 2008, 07:16:42 AM
And in both cases the tires are black.   :devil:

I agree, just about any 4 door sedan is going to look like anybody else's.  Why, because they have the same design goals in mind, minimum drag, maximum use of space and similar overall dimensions.

I see where 565 is coming from.  They do look similar, though I wouldn't go as far as to say the look the same.

As far as sedans are concerned, there is a lot of room for change in the design.  For instance:

Looks nothing like...

Which looks nothing like...

Which shares very little with the...

Which manages to look very attractive next to the ugly...

All sedans...all vastly different. 

As an aside, type in "honda civic" on google images, and feast on all the stupid rice jobs...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Cookie Monster

The Hyundai Azera looks much better than the horrid E65.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Atomic

will there be a new mercury version? with either this year or next being the very last year for the grand marquis, i wonder whether or not the division will die with the large mercury(s)???