A Litter Problem

Started by sparkplug, April 15, 2008, 05:46:16 PM

sparkplug

I think I figure on a topic we can all agree on. Littering.

Littering is illegal. It is certainly unethical.

What is litter? Is it cigarette butts or ashes? We all know a beer bottle is litter.

But how important is littering to Law Enforcement?

I believe people who litter intentionally deserved to be kicked in a private area at least once. Their wallet.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Cookie Monster

Isn't that already the case?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sparkplug

Quote from: thecarnut on April 15, 2008, 05:50:58 PM
Isn't that already the case?

I'm glad you agree.

Anymore opinions?

Anyway to catch litterers?
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

NomisR

Littering is bad, it's unsanitary, it's bad for overall environment, it's ugly looking, it's worse than speeding..

James Young

Litterin' kept Arlo out of Vietnam.  Kept his happy ass alive.
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

sandertheshark

dazzleman

Quote from: NomisR on April 15, 2008, 06:26:33 PM
Littering is bad, it's unsanitary, it's bad for overall environment, it's ugly looking, it's worse than speeding..

:hesaid:

"Littering is filthy and selfish, so don't do it."  From an old anti-littering sign that used to be used in New York.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Middle_Path

Quote from: sparkplug on April 15, 2008, 05:46:16 PM

Littering is illegal. It is certainly unethical.

What is litter? Is it cigarette butts or ashes? We all know a beer bottle is litter.

But how important is littering to Law Enforcement?

I believe people who litter intentionally deserved to be kicked in a private area at least once. Their wallet.

Beer bottles only get littered if you drank a bottle on the way home or to a party. Why the hell would you keep the empty bottle in your car?  :nutty:

Cigarette butts get littered if there is absolutely no place to trash it or you're dick about me smoking. Then the lit butt gets dropped at your feet where I promptly put it out with my foot and do this :evildude:

James Young has already won first prize in this thread though for his Alice's Restaurant reference. Hats off to you sir, congrats!  :clap:

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Doubt you yanks get that one, nevermind.

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Tave

People don't want to have to see their trash, but they're okay with burying it in the ground. I call that denial and hypocrisy at its finest.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Sanitation plays a role in that burying. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on April 15, 2008, 11:01:37 PM
Sanitation plays a role in that burying. ;)

:rolleyes: Paper? Compost? Plastic?

Centralizing waste serves a purpose, and I don't litter, but let's not kid ourselves: burying my old Transformers and Ninja Turtles isn't anymore "sanitary" than throwing them on the ground.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Rupert

Well, that part is true. I'd rather not have to wade through trash on the streets (some of which isn't sanitary), though I understand the problems associated with burying trash, but maybe that's just me.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Tave

Quote from: Psilos on April 16, 2008, 12:28:46 AM
I'd rather not have to wade through trash on the streets

Exactly! People are OK with trash as long as they don't have to see it.

:lol:

Don't get me wrong; I'm the same way, but it irks me whenever I see a "Littering: $1000 Fine" sign on the side of the road. I don't litter, but it's hypocrisy.

Anyone ever drive through Casper, Wyoming? The constant wind there blows trash all over the place. It's really ugly.

J86

Quote from: James Young on April 15, 2008, 06:41:56 PM
Litterin' kept Arlo out of Vietnam.  Kept his happy ass alive.

We got up there, we found all the garbage in there, and we decided it'd be
a friendly gesture for us to take the garbage down to the city dump.  So
we took the half a ton of garbage, put it in the back of a red VW
microbus, took shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and headed
on toward the city dump.

Well we got there and there was a big sign and a chain across across the
dump saying, "Closed on Thanksgiving."  And we had never heard of a dump
closed on Thanksgiving before, and with tears in our eyes we drove off
into the sunset looking for another place to put the garbage.

We didn't find one. Until we came to a side road, and off the side of the
side road there was another fifteen foot cliff and at the bottom of the
cliff there was another pile of garbage. And we decided that one big pile
is better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we
decided to throw our's down.

That's what we did, and drove back to the church, had a thanksgiving
dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't get up until the
next morning, when we got a phone call from officer Obie.  He said, "Kid,
we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of
garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And
I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope
under that garbage."

:lol:

That just made my morning..

Byteme

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 15, 2008, 08:42:29 PM
Beer bottles only get littered if you drank a bottle on the way home or to a party. Why the hell would you keep the empty bottle in your car?  :nutty:

I hope you are joking.

Keep it in the car until you can dispose of it properly.

Ron From Regina

Quote from: Byteme on April 16, 2008, 10:45:08 AM
I hope you are joking.

Keep it in the car until you can dispose of it properly.

While I certainly don't condone drinking in the car, or littering, keeping an empty bottle in the car, atleast around here, will allow you to get charged with an open booze violation, as well as give grounds to have to be completly searched, and provide a breath sample.

Throwing it out the window gets rid of that hassle.

Byteme

Quote from: Ron From Regina on April 16, 2008, 11:41:02 AM
While I certainly don't condone drinking in the car, or littering, keeping an empty bottle in the car, atleast around here, will allow you to get charged with an open booze violation, as well as give grounds to have to be completly searched, and provide a breath sample.

Throwing it out the window gets rid of that hassle.

So will not drinking and driving.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the best one.   :praise:

NomisR

Plus, that's why you keep it in a brown paper bag!  Haven't you guys learned anything by now?

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on April 16, 2008, 12:09:24 PM
Plus, that's why you keep it in a brown paper bag!  Haven't you guys learned anything by now?

Because you really can't tell what's in the bag...

Rupert

dsred

I think the Riverside CA Police Dept. should get a task force together and do roadside checks to ensure there isn't any litter in vehicles. After all if it's in the vehicle people might be tempted to throw it out....

S204STi

Quote from: sparkplug on April 15, 2008, 05:46:16 PM

I'd much rather get into an internet pissing match and treat anyone who disagrees with me like some sort of myopic asswad.

OT, I hate litter.  I especially hate smokers who pitch their butts out the window.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on April 19, 2008, 12:26:23 PM
I'd much rather get into an internet pissing match and treat anyone who disagrees with me like some sort of myopic asswad.

OT, I hate litter.  I especially hate smokers who pitch their butts out the window.

I agree with you on litter and cigarette butts.  For some reason, most smokers seem to have a blind spot when it comes to what they do with their cigarettes.  They think they're entitled to just throw them down wherever they happen to be once they're done with them.  Even my mom, who was generally very law abiding (other than the speeds she drove at), used to throw cigarettes out the car window when she was done with them.  It's a terrible habit.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Especially when they're still lit. As a cyclist and former convertible owner, that's an extremely irksome behavior.  :rage:

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on April 19, 2008, 02:02:50 PM
Especially when they're still lit. As a cyclist and former convertible owner, that's an extremely irksome behavior.  :rage:

My mom used to throw her cigarettes out the window lit.  When I questioned her about it, and mentioned the possibility it could start a fire, she just said the butt would get crushed out by the car tires.

It's beyond irksome to throw a lit cigarette out the window; it's extremely dangerous, both to the trees/bushes nearby, and anybody who might be walking or riding.  Bad enough to throw out a cigarette that's been put out, but a lit one is even worse.

I find cigarettes in general very irksome.  Probably a reaction to my mom's ridiculous smoking habit.

Raza

Good usage of the word "myopic". 

I hate that about smokers too.  I also don't like that people who smoke when they drive have one hand on the cigarette and then don't have that hand free for emergency maneuvers. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Smoking a cigarette on an empty mountain road during a clear summer day with a cool breeze blowing through your hair is one of life's greatest pleasures. I strongly suggest you give it a try.

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on April 19, 2008, 02:43:32 PM
Smoking a cigarette on an empty mountain road during a clear summer day with a cool breeze blowing through your hair is one of life's greatest pleasures. I strongly suggest you give it a try.

I think I would like better without the first element.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14275.msg807477#msg807477 date=1208637227
Good usage of the word "myopic". 

I hate that about smokers too.  I also don't like that people who smoke when they drive have one hand on the cigarette and then don't have that hand free for emergency maneuvers. 

That's nothing.  We had a woman in my neighborhood who used to drive, smoke, and beat the s*$t out of her son at the same time.  It was a great balancing act to steer the car, maneuver the cigarette, and rain down blows (well deserved) upon her son at the same time.