Well this can't be good...

Started by BimmerM3, April 18, 2008, 06:15:43 PM

BimmerM3

So I was accelerating hard in 3rd gear on an on-ramp tonight, when I hit somewhere around 5k rpm, and I completely lost power from the engine. After a few seconds I noticed that my check engine light is on (first time I've ever seen it on for more than a couple seconds during start-up). So I try revving the engine up again, and the car won't rev above 4k rpm. It's acting like the fuel cut-off that normally comes in around 6.5rpm (after redline).

Any thoughts?

hotrodalex

Ouch, that's trouble. I'm thinking the likely suspect is a faulty computer or wiring issues.

The Pirate

CEL is still lit?  If you're so inclined, you can follow this walk through, and get the codes.  This should work for your car, it worked for my Honda.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Edit:  I tracked down a misfire and an O2 sensor this way.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: The Pirate on April 18, 2008, 06:32:07 PM
CEL is still lit?  If you're so inclined, you can follow this walk through, and get the codes.  This should work for your car, it worked for my Honda.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Edit:  I tracked down a misfire and an O2 sensor this way.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 18, 2008, 06:15:43 PM
So I was accelerating hard in 3rd gear on an on-ramp tonight, when I hit somewhere around 5k rpm, and I completely lost power from the engine. After a few seconds I noticed that my check engine light is on (first time I've ever seen it on for more than a couple seconds during start-up). So I try revving the engine up again, and the car won't rev above 4k rpm. It's acting like the fuel cut-off that normally comes in around 6.5rpm (after redline).

Any thoughts?

Check your oil.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2008, 07:36:36 PM
Check your oil.

Yeah I meant to do that when I got out of the car, but I didn't. I'll do that tomorrow too.

Secret Chimp

I googled "Accord won't rev past 4000" for you.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t880728-_99_accord_rev_limiter_won_t_shut_off.html

If that's at all right and the car runs fine normally, it might be the VTEC solenoid/screen based off of what people describe there.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 18, 2008, 07:38:13 PM
Yeah I meant to do that when I got out of the car, but I didn't. I'll do that tomorrow too.

I'll mail you a dollar if it isn't at least 1 1/2 quarts low...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2008, 07:44:29 PM
I'll mail you a dollar if it isn't at least 1 1/2 quarts low...

That link that Secret Chimp posted mentioned something about the oil as well.  What makes you say it's the oil level?

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: The Pirate on April 18, 2008, 07:56:26 PM

That link that Secret Chimp posted mentioned something about the oil as well.  What makes you say it's the oil level?

There's not enough oil to engage the VTEC system- it's hydraulic and runs on the engine's oil pressure.

If he pulls the code, it will most likely come up as "VTEC system failure," but I'm betting it's oil pressure dropping when the solenoid tries to engage.

The Pirate

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2008, 08:02:04 PM
There's not enough oil to engage the VTEC system- it's hydraulic and runs on the engine's oil pressure.

If he pulls the code, it will most likely come up as "VTEC system failure," but I'm betting it's oil pressure dropping when the solenoid tries to engage.

Ahh, never knew that.  Makes a lot of sense.  My Civic was non-VTEC.  :cry:

The Pirate

How'd you make out with this, BimmerM3?

Secret Chimp

Fumbly and slobbery like all Honda boys.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

I added two quarts of oil today, just to get it to the lower mark. Started up the car and it was revving fine, but the CEL was still on. Anyone know how to reset that?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Raza  on April 19, 2008, 06:47:32 PM
Nice sig!

Danke

And Bimmer - if 98+ are anything like the mid 90s accords, there's a backup fuse you can pull under the hood. This will also reset your radio. You can also take it to Advance/AutoZone and have them reset it for you.

Rupert

I'd check for codes anyway, before you reset it...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Quote from: Psilos on April 20, 2008, 12:49:55 AM
I'd check for codes anyway, before you reset it...

So would I.  Rather than cycling power to the PCM I would therefore take it to Autobone.

Raza

Quote from: Secret Chimp on April 19, 2008, 07:42:23 PM
Danke

And Bimmer - if 98+ are anything like the mid 90s accords, there's a backup fuse you can pull under the hood. This will also reset your radio. You can also take it to Advance/AutoZone and have them reset it for you.

I was talking about your older one, the one from the first pic in your new sig.  The new one is too busy for me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Definitely look at that soon.

Actually my old Accord had an oil pump failure basically without warning. Never mind