Did a little "off-roading" in the Allroad

Started by Colonel Cadillac, July 17, 2005, 08:51:42 PM

Colonel Cadillac

Well, I did a little off roading at the local high school in the Allroad. Had the air suspension up to the maximum 8.2"; pretty cool. There is a new one being built currently, so there are some grounds where there is dirt and little ledges etc. Now, I was going down one of the little ledges after I had gone up it. Going up was no problem, a little wheel slippage, but Quattro took care of it. Going back down I had scraped something, and I figured there was no problem. Now that the car is sitting in the garage, there seems to be something leaking in two places. I dipped my finger in it, and it smelled like nothing. I figured it was the stuff the air conditioning used. But then I thought, why would it be dripping in two places? I have no clue what seems to be dripping. The stuff in the rear seems to be what is bothering me. The stuff in the front, I am pretty sure of, is the air conditioning stuff. The other drip is about 5/8 down the car, so rather middlish, but a bit further back. Does stuff normally drip from back there?  

BMWDave

QuoteWell, I did a little off roading at the local high school in the Allroad. Had the air suspension up to the maximum 8.2"; pretty cool. There is a new one being built currently, so there are some grounds where there is dirt and little ledges etc. Now, I was going down one of the little ledges after I had gone up it. Going up was no problem, a little wheel slippage, but Quattro took care of it. Going back down I had scraped something, and I figured there was no problem. Now that the car is sitting in the garage, there seems to be something leaking in two places. I dipped my finger in it, and it smelled like nothing. I figured it was the stuff the air conditioning used. But then I thought, why would it be dripping in two places? I have no clue what seems to be dripping. The stuff in the rear seems to be what is bothering me. The stuff in the front, I am pretty sure of, is the air conditioning stuff. The other drip is about 5/8 down the car, so rather middlish, but a bit further back. Does stuff normally drip from back there?
Bad idea to offroad in an Allroad :lol:

Thats what Land Rovers are for :rockon:

It could be hydraulic fluid leaking, or something else.  I have no idea.  Its a very bad idea to go offroading in any car without protection, even in a Land Rover.  You need skid platesa all around the differentials, and on the fuel tank, and all over.  Off roading is a tricky business, no matter what car you have.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

Actually, I was looking under the car yesterday, and it does have plates and places for the bottom to hit rocks. The Allroad may even have more protection than a Tahoe, and 8.2" is pretty respectable. It seems to be running fine today, and I think the leaks are ok and somewhat normal.  

Raghavan

offroading in an allroad isn't a good idea.

BMWDave

QuoteActually, I was looking under the car yesterday, and it does have plates and places for the bottom to hit rocks. The Allroad may even have more protection than a Tahoe, and 8.2" is pretty respectable. It seems to be running fine today, and I think the leaks are ok and somewhat normal.
You'll want to have it checked by a mechanic just so you make sure the leaks arent serious.  (or you can check it yourself, and try to identify exactly what it is).

Is 8.5 inches your totaly ground clearance?  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

The Disco has about 8.5 inches of clearance under the front axle, and even more under the rear axle.  And then you are able to raise the rear suspension, so you get even better departure angles.

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

8.2" is the max ground clearance. I checked myself, I am pretty sure the leaks aren't serious. It seems that they both were coming out of holes that were built in.  

Tom

Umm, water?  Did you have the ac running?  And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:  

BMWDave

QuoteUmm, water?  Did you have the ac running?  And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
sell the buick and get a old beater LR disco :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

QuoteUmm, water?  Did you have the ac running?  And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
sell the buick and get a beater "greatest SUV ever built" Jeep Cherokee :lol:
:rockon:  

BMWDave

QuoteUmm, water?? Did you have the ac running?? And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
sell the buick and get a beater disco :lol:
I concur :rockon:

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

QuoteUmm, water?? Did you have the ac running?? And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
sell the buick and get a beater "greatest SUV ever built" Jeep Cherokee  :lol:
Of course you concur. Who wouldn't?

BMWDave

sell the buick and get a beater LR Disco  :lol:
I agree :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

You concur and agree? Now you're just being silly.

BMWDave

sell the buick and get a beater LR Disco :lol:
This will go on forever :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

Damn skippy.   :praise:  

Raghavan

QuoteUmm, water?  Did you have the ac running?  And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
Damn skippy.   :praise:
:rolleyes:  

Tom

I thought about buying a Cherokee when I saw a few nice ones around with the 5sp and 4.0, but decided against it.  It cost money, and I don't have much.  I'd rather get a 4X4 pickup anyway.  Take the old Toyota pickups for example.  Damn, Toyota built one hell of a frame....an offroad beast.

thewizard16

Quoteoffroading in an allroad isn't a good idea.
You want to see off roading "bad ideas"?
I took the older Camry to a beach that I went camping at and played around a little bit a few months ago. Here's what happened when I lost control and the brakes weren't doing a whole lot of good at the speed/direction I was going combined with it being sand, which isn't the best for stopping on anyway.

It actually didn't hurt it at all. The front right corner was ramped up on a big log driftwood thing, which somehow didn't crack anything, and only hit on the plastic skid plates that were put on when we lived in Iowa to deal with snow, and it ate that bush on the left side without hurting or scratching anything. I was surprised, but then pleased.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Tom

HAHA

Never underestimate a mainstream FWDer going offroad...

thewizard16

QuoteHAHA

Never underestimate a mainstream FWDer going offroad...
It was pretty fun, up until the whole hitting a tree. But it didn't hurt it, so it's all good.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Run Away

Hmm, lucky for your the tree was there, it looks like the car was headed for the drink. :praise:

thewizard16

QuoteHmm, lucky for your the tree was there, it looks like the car was headed for the drink. :praise:
Yes, actually, and I doubt the car would have fared as well with the lake.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raza

QuoteUmm, water?  Did you have the ac running?  And I've had the same urge to go offroad...it's addicting :lol:
I've done some offroading (well, a passenger) in a 1991 Buick Regal Custom!  That car is the ultimate offroader.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

I've done some offroading (well, a passenger) in a 1991 Buick Regal Custom!  That car is the ultimate offroader.
:lol: While that may not be true, it's a lot of fun to go offroading in a car that either A. You don't care about, or B. Were dumb and did it anyway, because it feels so different from what you're used to doing in that vehicle.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raza

:lol: While that may not be true, it's a lot of fun to go offroading in a car that either A. You don't care about, or B. Were dumb and did it anyway, because it feels so different from what you're used to doing in that vehicle.
We've done a lot of dumb shit in that car.  It was my best friend's, but he sold it.  The three of us are planning on pooling our money and buying it back, and trying to 'cross it.  It'll be awesome.  I was thinking about installing a second engine and powertrain and making it AWD!  Don't know if it's possible, but I'll try to make it fast.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

We've done a lot of dumb shit in that car.  It was my best friend's, but he sold it.  The three of us are planning on pooling our money and buying it back, and trying to 'cross it.  It'll be awesome.  I was thinking about installing a second engine and powertrain and making it AWD!  Don't know if it's possible, but I'll try to make it fast.
Would that be the same Buick that got air off of train tracks? :P