We now have an even better idea of what the new XJ will look like.

Started by Submariner, April 30, 2008, 07:20:47 PM

Submariner

On saturday, I spent the day with a friend in a brand New XJ.  Aside from the oodles of stares, The car got several complements, including one from a german man and his wife who in broken English stated "I love new XJ" smiled, gave me thumbs up, and walked on, looking behind him frequently. 

I'm not so sure he would feel the same way about this big cat...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

I liken it to an old freightliner cabover having an exact lookalike midget child, who in turn mated with the XF.

It's a damn shame people find the vastly inferior 7 series not only better all around, but looking too.  Why can't anyone get over the "it looks old" stigma?  It doesn't look old you stupid ass holes, it's classicly styled, and elegant, and fantastic to drive, etc.

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on April 30, 2008, 07:46:41 PM
I liken it to an old freightliner cabover having an exact lookalike midget child, who in turn mated with the XF.

It's a damn shame people find the vastly inferior 7 series not only better all around, but looking too.  Why can't anyone get over the "it looks old" stigma?  It doesn't look old you stupid ass holes, it's classicly styled, and elegant, and fantastic to drive, etc.

Vastly inferior?  :orly:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 30, 2008, 07:50:02 PM
Vastly inferior?  :orly:

Yes.  The Jags ride is smoother...AND drives better.  I kid you not.  It's more of a drivers car and is at least equally pleasureable for the uninterested passanger. 

Not to mention, it's ugly as sin.

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on April 30, 2008, 07:52:39 PM
Yes.  The Jags ride is smoother...AND drives better.  I kid you not.  It's more of a drivers car and is at least equally pleasureable for the uninterested passanger. 

Not to mention, it's ugly as sin.

Smoother ride? I don't care about that, but whatever.
Drives better? Honestly, I know I don't have any experience with either, but I kinda doubt that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 30, 2008, 07:53:53 PM
Smoother ride? I don't care about that, but whatever.
Drives better? Honestly, I know I don't have any experience with either, but I kinda doubt that.

I lived with a 7 and have driven AT LEAST 7 different forms of the current XJ... 

It feels smaller, lighter, more in touch with the driver than does the 7 series.  Even if the BMW can take corners faster and lap the ring quicker, it would be not nearly as entertaining as doing so in the XJ.

CJ

The current XJ is the single best looking sedan.  It's a true beauty and it's just fantastic.  Why people say it looks old is beyond me.  as Zach said, it's not old, it's a classic.

Panama Jack

7 series is ugly.

How many facelifts has the last generation had? like 4?

The rear is like a chick with cellulite. Disproportionate.

At leat its not as bad as the 6 series though  :tounge:

sandertheshark

I pray this is a hoax.  If not I weep for the future of Jaguar.

CALL_911

Quote from: Panama Jack on April 30, 2008, 08:26:43 PM
7 series is ugly.

How many facelifts has the last generation had? like 4?

The rear is like a chick with cellulite. Disproportionate.

At leat its not as bad as the 6 series though  :tounge:

The 7 series? :confused:
It's only had one facelift, dude.

That was from 2002-2005.

2006-present.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sandertheshark

deesea

So I'm Gonna start a revolution from my bed - Noel Gallagher

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

I hope that this image is the product of a demented child damaged by the effects of constant glue-sniffing; otherwise, I shall unleash upon the British motor industry the ruthless tirade it so richly deserves.

LonghornTX

The XJ is getting a bit plain to me...This isn't better, but it is a start.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

As was mentioned on Top Gear, Jaguars were held to basically evolutionary designs due to Joe Foreigner thingking that Britain is still just old gentleman's pubs and tweed hats. Joe Foreigner wanted Jags to continue looking like Jags. The XF was an attept to develop a thoroughly modern automobile representative of Modern Britain.

Well, call me Joe Foreigner. I can deal with the XF as a single model. I don't want it to define the entire marque. If this is the new XJ, then Jag can go away. It's no more relevant or discernable in a crowd than a boring Lexus.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Panama Jack

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 30, 2008, 08:34:40 PM
The 7 series? :confused:
It's only had one facelift, dude.

That was from 2002-2005.

2006-present.

Pretty sure its more than one. Maybe not 4 though. I was being sarcastic.

Im sure the car drives great and all. So why does Merc, Lexus outsell it? Especially the lexus.

In my opinion its the looks. Its fugly. Rear-q-panel to the rear looks weird/bulgy.

Again im only talking about the looks.

Panama Jack

Quote from: ChrisV on May 01, 2008, 10:06:49 AM
As was mentioned on Top Gear, Jaguars were held to basically evolutionary designs due to Joe Foreigner thingking that Britain is still just old gentleman's pubs and tweed hats. Joe Foreigner wanted Jags to continue looking like Jags. The XF was an attept to develop a thoroughly modern automobile representative of Modern Britain.

Well, call me Joe Foreigner. I can deal with the XF as a single model. I don't want it to define the entire marque. If this is the new XJ, then Jag can go away. It's no more relevant or discernable in a crowd than a boring Lexus.

Saw the XF about 2 weekends ago on the 110 FWY

Looks good. :ohyeah:

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on May 01, 2008, 10:06:49 AM

Then again, with sales per month dwelling in the double digit range, should they stay their course?

Again, i'm not a fan of the new rendering.  The current XJ, to me at least, is what a large sedan should be.  I love it to death and if I had the money I would buy one, right now.  The problem is, people see it as old, stodgy, "so least year".  Unfortunatly it's much harder to change perceptions than conform to them.  If Jaguar could "update" their car while still hinting at Jags of yore I may be able to learn to like it, but I'm afraid that wont be the case.  This will likely be a big, in your face, "look at me i'm a Bentley" car.  There may be flaws with the current car, but they are minor, they can be fixed.  This isn't a fix, this is pushing the plunger on all the TNT in the UK. 

I'd much rather see a Jaguar SUV, and an XF-esque c-class/ 3 series fighter than let their flagship go to hell...

Submariner

Time to bid farewell to what is possibly the most elegant saloon built in the past 30 years.  :( :frown:

omicron

Says Jaguar Land Rover Australia:

'While around 60 per cent of Jaguar Australia's 2008 allotment of 350 XFs is already spoken for, Jaguar Australia General Manager, Dorian Lapthorne, cautions it's not volume that will drive the success of the brand Down Under going forward.

"Don't look for huge volume growth out of Jaguar," Lapthorne cautions. "There might be some, but volume is not what really counts -- it's the profit that underpins that volume.

We're deliberately focused on making money out of selling fewer cars. [It is a] Difficult message to get across, because we're [the automotive industry] all caught up with the concept that more is better," Lapthorne opined.

"In 2006 we [Jaguar Australia] sold just over 1000 cars. In 2007 we sold 850 cars -- down 20 per cent. Some journalists wrote stories that in a market that was booming, poor Jaguar was declining -- that's what the top line numbers suggest. [But] Our profit in Australia in 2007, when we sold 20 per cent less cars, was actually 15 per cent greater than in 2006."

J86

I actually like the 18-wheeler front end, but NOT AS A JAGUAR.

280Z Turbo

Lebowski

Quote from: Submariner on May 01, 2008, 10:47:19 AM
Time to bid farewell to what is possibly the most elegant saloon built in the past 30 years.  :( :frown:

I like the current XJ but I don't think I would ever buy one over the competition.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on May 01, 2008, 06:32:26 PM
I like the current XJ but I don't think I would ever buy one over the competition.

If they sold the XJ6 here, I'd definitely buy one.  If I had a family.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.