Mainstream vs Luxury

Started by nickdrinkwater, May 01, 2008, 09:29:28 AM

nickdrinkwater

I was just wondering.  If you had x amount of money to spend, would you go for a 'luxury' car (eg BMW, Audi etc) or a 'mainstreamer' (eg Ford, GM etc)?

Example.  I was thinking about what car I would buy for about ?7000-8000 (approx US$15,000) in three or so years time when I finish my studies and have a good job (hopefully).  Daydreaming, basically.

I like small cars.  For that money right now I could get something like an Audi A3 or BMW Compact with some leather, electrics, about 5-6 years old with a full dealer history.

Or, I could buy something considerably newer and pretty well equipped, like a Focus or Astra that is under 3 years old.  So a newer car, arguably not likely to go wrong as soon (had less use) and cheaper to maintain.

A similar could apply to a new car.  Do you get a better value, better specc'd, maybe larger car for a certain price or do you pay more for the perceived superior quality product?

By the way, the thing that prompted this question was a ride in a colleague's BMW.  It's about 13-14 years old but's still a really nice car.  Feels smooth and refined, unlike my SEAT which is a bit newer.

omicron

If the question was limited to A3/Compact vs. Focus/Astra, I'd be very tempted towards a 5 year-old Compact - especially a 318ti and above.

ChrisV

I voted with my wallet. My 10 year old BMW was an excellent value, and it's a lot of car for the money, as far as features, performance, handling, and comfort.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Lebowski

Depends what "x" is.

If "x" is $15k, I'd say mainstream.  I don't like dealing with older cars, and german cars aren't reknowned for their reliability.  There's nothing "luxurious" about sitting at a dealership waiting for your car to be repaired.

SVT666

If my pick was between a 2 or 3 year old Ford Fusion SEL and a 10 year old BMW 325i, I would take the Fusion simply because it still has warranty and when the warranty does run out, repairs cost a lot less.

ChrisV

Quote from: Lebowski on May 01, 2008, 10:03:55 AM
Depends what "x" is.

If "x" is $15k, I'd say mainstream.  I don't like dealing with older cars, and german cars aren't reknowned for their reliability.  There's nothing "luxurious" about sitting at a dealership waiting for your car to be repaired.

Mine cost me $7500 and I've yet to have it sit at a dealership.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Well, are you going to do the maintainence yourself or having someone do it.  If you're doing it yourself then I would get used.  But if you're going to the dealership or whatever independent, then I'd probably go new to save yourself the hassles

Raza

You could get an EP3 Civic Type R for that cash, easy in three years.  Or an RS2.  Or a Griffith!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on May 01, 2008, 10:00:34 AM
I voted with my wallet. My 10 year old BMW was an excellent value, and it's a lot of car for the money, as far as features, performance, handling, and comfort.

So did I :praise: I feel silly for having considered a new Altima which was actually more expensive than my car.

I even made a thread about it too:
http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=11821.0

the red x was a pic of a shiny black 5-series at a ghetto used car dealer

J86

I say older lux car, but everytime I end up getting a car, I take the practical route (cheap Subie instead of a bmw or something 'cool', and taking the Honda instead of picking up a used Saab).  So, in all reality, I go practicality :lol:

sandertheshark

Brand means little to me, and there's not much of a difference in features between an entry-lux and a well-optioned mainstreamer.

What matters to me is personality - which I'm more likely to find in an older BMW than a late-model Honda.

Tave

If I'm shopping for a used car, I'm going to look for the best deal/condition of a model I like, and I won't limit myself to one option.

Although with online searches, there's some room to be picky.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.