Challenger SRT8 vs Mustang Bullitt

Started by 565, May 05, 2008, 07:50:09 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=125968

Once again the Live rear axle lets the Mustang down.

"On the other end of the evolutionary suspension timeline, the Bullitt's highway manners remind us why live-axle rear suspensions are relics found in pickup trucks. If the Mustang isn't required to tow anything, why does it need a live axle? So omnipresent were the motions of the rear suspension on anything but freshly steamrolled asphalt that it was damn near impossible to read the already inscrutable speedometer. We'd hate to guess what would happen if the Bullitt's 18-inch wheels were replaced with the Challenger's 20s."

"In the end, however, the Bullitt's old-school solid rear axle limited its slalom speed because slight pavement irregularities upset the rear of the car long before the front goes off line, ultimately making the Bullitt more of a handful than the Challenger."

GoCougs

Uh, huh - no surprise.

But then again I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get a 5.7L Challenger R/T for a base MSRP of $26k...

EDIT: DUDE - I just read that the '09 will be available with a Trak Pak - including a pistol-grip 6sp MT. Cool.

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on May 05, 2008, 08:02:03 PM
Uh, huh - no surprise.

But then again I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get a 5.7L Challenger R/T for a base MSRP of $26k...

EDIT: DUDE - I just read that the '09 will be available with a Trak Pak - including a pistol-grip 6sp MT. Cool.

Really?  thats interesting.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Sigma Projects

nice the duo gets to battle it out again. Did Edmunds forget that live axles are cheaper and stronger and lighter than an IRS? Most people drag race their Mustangs anyways.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

r0tor

Quote from: Sigma Projects on May 06, 2008, 02:28:25 AM
nice the duo gets to battle it out again. Did Edmunds forget that live axles are cheaper and stronger and lighter than an IRS? Most people drag race their Mustangs anyways.

most? as in like 2%?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on May 06, 2008, 06:38:21 AM
most? as in like 2%?

I think he also means that most just stomp on the go pedal from a light or in a straight line(like a 40-100) type of thing.

SVT666

I'm not surprised.  It better be better for that price.

r0tor

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 06, 2008, 08:47:28 AM
I think he also means that most just stomp on the go pedal from a light or in a straight line(like a 40-100) type of thing.

which leads to an advantage for a solid rear axle how?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on May 06, 2008, 11:08:04 AM
A solid rear axle has a huge advantage in drag racing, but only a small number of Mustang owners actually go to the track.  I think Ford should make IRS standard with an optional solid axle for those who want drag racing capabilities.

There is certainly not a whole lot wrong with the Mustang's setup since only a small number of buyers will actually drive their car hard enough to experience any of the drawbacks of a solid axle.  It's more the perception that matters.  I've driven a few of the new Mustangs and not once could I have ever picked a moment in those drives where I thought, "Oh, that was because of the solid axle".

Raza

Hmm, you forgot the most important part of the article:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

The more I see the challenger the more I want one.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 06, 2008, 11:13:50 AM
A solid rear axle has a huge advantage in drag racing, but only a small number of Mustang owners actually go to the track.  I think Ford should make IRS standard with an optional solid axle for those who want drag racing capabilities.

There is certainly not a whole lot wrong with the Mustang's setup since only a small number of buyers will actually drive their car hard enough to experience any of the drawbacks of a solid axle.  It's more the perception that matters.  I've driven a few of the new Mustangs and not once could I have ever picked a moment in those drives where I thought, "Oh, that was because of the solid axle".

I'm sure 90+% of the Mustang buyers as well as regular car buyers could not tell the difference between IRS and Solid Live Axle.  As long as it looks cool and goes fast in a straight line, that's all that matters, what's a corner??

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on May 06, 2008, 12:15:18 PM
I'm sure 90+% of the Mustang buyers as well as regular car buyers could not tell the difference between IRS and Solid Live Axle.  As long as it looks cool and goes fast in a straight line, that's all that matters, what's a corner??

I've never driven the new Mustang on the highway, but on some pretty bad backroads, the Mustang's ride was fine, and the turn in wasn't bad at all.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on May 06, 2008, 11:08:04 AM

That it's cheap (as in trading an anachronism for more power).

SVT666

The performance numbers and price of the SRT-8 are a lot closer to the GT500 then the Bullitt.  I wonder why it wasn't compared to that.

FoMoJo

Of the two, I'd pick the Bullitt based on looks and price.  If I wanted to beat a Challenger SRT8 I'd get a GT500.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT32V

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 06, 2008, 01:25:15 PM
The performance numbers and price of the SRT-8 are a lot closer to the GT500 then the Bullitt.  I wonder why it wasn't compared to that.

It would seem that Edmunds has it out for the mustang.  Why else pit the expensive all show and no go shelby GT vs the STI. A $26K GT would do just about as good but that would make the $10K price difference the factor.

If they picked a GT500, it would have totally blown away the SRT in acceleration at the very least. Therefore, they pick an expensive Mustang that doesn't really perform any better than a base GT to make the SRT look better.

No matter how you look at it, a GT500 and SRT are closer in price and are more the direct competitors.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT32V on May 06, 2008, 04:35:41 PM
It would seem that Edmunds has it out for the mustang.  Why else pit the expensive all show and no go shelby GT vs the STI. A $26K GT would do just about as good but that would make the $10K price difference the factor.

If they picked a GT500, it would have totally blown away the SRT in acceleration at the very least. Therefore, they pick an expensive Mustang that doesn't really perform any better than a base GT to make the SRT look better.

No matter how you look at it, a GT500 and SRT are closer in price and are more the direct competitors.

Agree with everything above except the smidge on Edmunds, because I don't know about that.
The R/T is more of a Shelby GT/Mustang GT competitor and the SRT-8 is more of a GT500 competitor.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

Most serious drag racers have a ton of money invested in the rear end anyway! So put the IRS in standard and let the dragsters swap it out for a live axle.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14484.msg816783#msg816783 date=1210098837
I've never driven the new Mustang on the highway, but on some pretty bad backroads, the Mustang's ride was fine, and the turn in wasn't bad at all.

A solid rear axle isn't going to affect turn in.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Atomic

i love the dodge charger srt-8. i have yet to drive a new challenger, and with sales so brisk, may not get the chance. i did check out the 'stang (in gt, shelby and bullit forms) and think it is desperate need of a redesign and upgrade; yet, still, an awesome car. i bet the upcoming chevrolet camaro will be a pretty funky vehicle, too.

i think we are mighty fortunate to have these sporty offerings to choose from. grab one while you can, as i'm afraid that the bush era gas prices and overall frightening economy will soon make these wonderful "sets of wheels" a thing of the past. sadly.

thank god for choice, gm, fmc and mopar fans. we pray that the economy will improve with the next president of the u.s. -- perhaps our only chance!!!

Catman

hounddog

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 06, 2008, 11:13:50 AM
A solid rear axle has a huge advantage in drag racing,
Well, for what most people do with their mustangs, IRS would actually be better.  Lighter, better handling, and better everyday performance.

The 03 and 04s had the IRS, and they do just fine with reliability and racing ability for the everyday Joe.  Even up to 5-600 horse! 

Give me an IRS Cobra anyday of the week over the old and stodgy live axle cars. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Until they go over any type of bumps in the road and cause the axle hop most stangers hate. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 06, 2008, 06:02:05 PM
A solid rear axle isn't going to affect turn in.

Turn in, handling, all that shit.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on May 06, 2008, 05:31:26 PM
Most serious drag racers have a ton of money invested in the rear end anyway! So put the IRS in standard and let the dragsters swap it out for a live axle.
Shazaam!  I completely agree.  Draggers will appreciate the SLA, while the rest of humanity will appreciate the IRA. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14484.msg816987#msg816987 date=1210123903
Turn in, handling, all that shit.

Like everyone else I didn't notice until the road turned bumpy. Unfortantly the pavement on all the good backroads near my house is older than I am. It was well composed on smooth corners but the chassis still suffered but a general disconnect from the driver. Far better than the previous generation though.

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 07:29:08 PM
Well, for what most people do with their mustangs, IRS would actually be better.  Lighter, better handling, and better everyday performance.

The 03 and 04s had the IRS, and they do just fine with reliability and racing ability for the everyday Joe.  Even up to 5-600 horse! 

Give me an IRS Cobra anyday of the week over the old and stodgy live axle cars. 
You have obviously never driven a 2005+ Mustang because if you had you would know that they handle and ride better then the Terminator Cobras do with an IRS.  I've driven Mustang from all generations and the 2005+ is the best by far, even better then the Terminators.

Oh and by the way, Terminator Cobras shred their transaxles at the track all the time and many of them replace the IRS with a solid axle.  It's a popular conversion for Terminators that are used at the track on a regular basis.

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 06, 2008, 09:47:44 PM
You have obviously never driven a 2005+ Mustang because if you had you would know that they handle and ride better then the Terminator Cobras do with an IRS.  I've driven Mustang from all generations and the 2005+ is the best by far, even better then the Terminators.

Oh and by the way, Terminator Cobras shred their transaxles at the track all the time and many of them replace the IRS with a solid axle.  It's a popular conversion for Terminators that are used at the track on a regular basis.

Comparing the IRS in the Cobras to the SRA on the 05+ isn't really a fair comparison.

We've got a Terminator with over 500hp at my work right now. You're right that they don't handle well, but it is probably the best sounding car I've ever driven.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on May 06, 2008, 09:52:21 PM
Comparing the IRS in the Cobras to the SRA on the 05+ isn't really a fair comparison.
I was simply responding to Hounddog's comment that he would take a Terminator over the '05 Mustang because of the IRS.

QuoteWe've got a Terminator with over 500hp at my work right now. You're right that they don't handle well, but it is probably the best sounding car I've ever driven.
They sound great, have stupid power, and I would take one in a heartbeat simply because of the unbelievable potential and relatively light weight, and the suspension can be upgraded in the aftermarket.