Any 'Go to' Places For Technical Knowledge

Started by Maksx, May 07, 2008, 10:48:05 PM

Maksx

Well ive liked driving cars and admiring ones from afar, but I really want to get into technical stuff, ie how to build a car, how to restore old cars. Sometimes I see really rare old cars online and just imagine if i had the expertise to actually repair or tune it.
Do you guys know any places I can go to learn about such stuff (ie Online sites/ Library), looking under the hood of my caravan only gets me so far, and seeing as its the only car I cant fool around with it.
thanks
Mak

Soup DeVille

Auto restorer Magazine is one of the better at step-by-step explanations of things like that. Rust repair and bodywork are really the high-skill things that nothing but practice can make you good at, but there are a few good books available that will point you in the right direction to get started. Mechanical repairs are much easier in many ways: they're also much greasier and many times physically more tiring (and much more likely to leave you with skinned knuckles).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

heelntoe

how stuff works is a good start. you get to know the basics of the cars and engines all the individual components first.
@heelntoe

L. ed foote

How are your finances and space availability?  I'd say buy a beater and tinker with it.
Member, Self Preservation Society