Redesigned Legacy helping Subaru to improve image

Started by BMWDave, July 19, 2005, 08:55:53 AM

BMWDave

Redesigned Legacy helping Subaru to improve image, draw in buyers
DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/19/05
A year after its launch, the redesigned Subaru Legacy is helping the brand spiff up its image.

The current Legacy and Outback shed the quirky Subaru appearance that some have called ugly. Subaru also added zippier performance versions.

Executives say the moves are creating a broader buyer base and increasing registrations by 51 percent in the Sun Belt. In the past, Subaru's key selling point - all-wheel drive - has appealed mainly to people in snowy climates.

"We are experiencing a significant increase in Legacy sedan and wagon sales in the Sun Belt as a result of the styling of the vehicle and the performance," says Bill Cyphers, vice president of sales.

And Cyphers says Subaru is winning conquest sales: "Dealers are seeing traffic from competition they have not seen in the past."

GT draws buyers

The 250-hp Legacy GT sedan has been a major draw. Desiree Farey, general manager of Irvine (Calif.) Subaru, says sales of the model are up 160 percent compared with last year. The store is the No. 3 Subaru franchise in the United States.

"We are drawing a lot of performance owners, WRX owners who want more luxury - like leather and a sunroof - and previous BMW, Porsche and even Mercedes-Benz customers," Farey says.

Nationwide, Subaru sold 45,108 units of the Legacy and Outback through June, up 10.3 percent compared with the year-ago period. By year end, Subaru wants to sell 93,500 units. In 2004 it sold 89,453 of the vehicles.

Subaru says the redesigned Legacy/Outback is giving the brand inroads in the Sun Belt. Registrations for the first four months rose 51 percent, according to R.L. Polk & Co.

"Nationally, other manufacturers sell 48 percent of their cars in the Sun Belt, and we sell 20 percent of our cars there," Cyphers says. "Historically, our cars are all-wheel drive and have appealed to the Northern market."

Equally important is profitability. Sales of the six-cylinder and high-trim models have increased significantly, Cyphers says.

Subaru raised prices on the current-generation Legacy and Outback by an average of 4 percent.

The Legacy starts at $22,020. Prices rise to $34,220 for the Outback 3.0 R VDC Limited wagon. Both prices including shipping.

Above $30,000

According to the Power Information Network, six-cylinder versions of the Legacy and Outback sold for an average of $30,929 during a six-week period in May and June. That's $7,118 more than a comparably equipped Toyota Camry and $6,111 more than a Honda Accord, according to Power.

Cyphers says that in 2003 the average Legacy transaction price was $18,350. That rose to $21,450 at the end of 2004 and to $25,329 in 2005.

Buyer demographics also have changed. According to a study in the first quarter of 2005 by Iceology, a Los Angeles market research firm, the average age of the Subaru customer has dropped to 47, from 51 a year earlier. The gender mix is 57 percent male, compared with 52 percent a year earlier. Subaru thinks these changes are the result of the turbo models, particularly the Legacy 2.5 GT sedan.

Subaru says continued growth is likely to come from the Legacy sedan, which accounted for 72 percent of the nameplate's sales through July 6, compared with 59 percent in 2003.

Says Cyphers: "Interest is coming from the general acceptance and enthusiasm for the car in car magazines."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I wonder how many STi aftermarket parts are compatible with the Legacy 2.5GT.  Same engine right?  Because I'd tighten the suspension, swap an STi 6 speed, and tune about 350 horses into that thing and have one quick sleeper.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteI wonder how many STi aftermarket parts are compatible with the Legacy 2.5GT.  Same engine right?  Because I'd tighten the suspension, swap an STi 6 speed, and tune about 350 horses into that thing and have one quick sleeper.
why not get an STi? it's lighter. if you want a sleeper, just put stock 2.5RS wheels, remove the hoodscoop and put in a front mount intercooler, and take off the badges, bodykit, and wing, then tune it up to about 375 hp. THAT'S a real sleeper.

Raza

QuoteI wonder how many STi aftermarket parts are compatible with the Legacy 2.5GT.  Same engine right?  Because I'd tighten the suspension, swap an STi 6 speed, and tune about 350 horses into that thing and have one quick sleeper.
why not get an STi? it's lighter. if you want a sleeper, just put stock 2.5RS wheels, remove the hoodscoop and put in a front mount intercooler, and take off the badges, bodykit, and wing, then tune it up to about 375 hp. THAT'S a real sleeper.
It'll look like a WRX...that's not a sleeper.  And have you seen a 2.5RS without a spoiler...it shows off the car's bad proportions (high roof and short decks, alot like the Evo RS).  The Legacy is a midsizer with a whole lot of go, leather, and a sunroof...no one would expect it.  It would be like my E class, but instead of 0-60 in 7 seconds or less, it would be 5 seconds or less.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteI wonder how many STi aftermarket parts are compatible with the Legacy 2.5GT.  Same engine right?  Because I'd tighten the suspension, swap an STi 6 speed, and tune about 350 horses into that thing and have one quick sleeper.
It'll look like a WRX...that's not a sleeper.  And have you seen a 2.5RS without a spoiler...it shows off the car's bad proportions (high roof and short decks, alot like the Evo RS).  The Legacy is a midsizer with a whole lot of go, leather, and a sunroof...no one would expect it.  It would be like my E class, but instead of 0-60 in 7 seconds or less, it would be 5 seconds or less.
no, it'll looks ugly, not like a WRX. with the base rims and bumper, etc, it'll look pretty ugly too, perfect for a sleeper. you can even get 2.5RS badges.

Raza

no, it'll looks ugly, not like a WRX. with the base rims and bumper, etc, it'll look pretty ugly too, perfect for a sleeper. you can even get 2.5RS badges.
I'd rather have a car that looks good, has amenities, and still goes like the clappers.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Speed_Racer

The LegacyGT wagon is the true sleeper of the Legacy line. Who would expect a humble station wagon to blow you away when the light turns green? Plus, it just looks sexy.

Actually, now that I think about it, imagine getting smoked by the Outback 2.5 XT? Same engine, but even more incognito.

Raghavan

QuoteThe LegacyGT wagon is the true sleeper of the Legacy line. Who would expect a humble station wagon to blow you away when the light turns green? Plus, it just looks sexy.

Actually, now that I think about it, imagine getting smoked by the Outback 2.5 XT? Same engine, but even more incognito.

how about this?

It's a wagon, which Raza likes. keep the hubcaps and everything, and drop in an STi engine and 6 speed, and watch everyone get smoked by a pos base wagon.

BMWDave

QuoteThe LegacyGT wagon is the true sleeper of the Legacy line. Who would expect a humble station wagon to blow you away when the light turns green? Plus, it just looks sexy.

The Legacy looks a lot sexier, IMO. :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I've got this video somewhere of a WRX Wagon at a drag strip against a Camaro SS.  Both cars totally rock, and they hit really fast 1/4 mile times, but the Rex smokes the SS.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteI've got this video somewhere of a WRX Wagon at a drag strip against a Camaro SS.  Both cars totally rock, and they hit really fast 1/4 mile times, but the Rex smokes the SS.
I think I've seen that somewhere...wanna dig 'er up for us? ^_^

Raza

QuoteI've got this video somewhere of a WRX Wagon at a drag strip against a Camaro SS.  Both cars totally rock, and they hit really fast 1/4 mile times, but the Rex smokes the SS.
I think I've seen that somewhere...wanna dig 'er up for us? ^_^
I'll snoop around the hard drive for it later.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i