Ford to replace Ranger with F-100

Started by SVT666, May 12, 2008, 11:03:48 AM

SVT666

Rumor: Ford to replace Ranger with F-100?
May 12

When Ford discontinues its aging Ranger pickup in the couple years, it won't be abandoning the small truck market for good. Rather, the automaker is expected to launch a new hauler called the F-100 by 2011, according to a new report.

The F-100 is rumored to share a platform ? albeit shortened ? with the next-generation 2012 F-150, which is expected to be considerably lighter than the existing model. The automaker will save weight on both vehicles by using stronger, higher-quality steel, and therefore less of it, according to PickupTrucks. Meanwhile, aluminum will be used for the hood and other body panels, the report claims.

With platform sharing in mind, it should come as no surprise the F-100 be built in the same Dearborn Truck Plant as the F-150. This will allow Ford not only to reduce costs, but also adjust supply of either model depending on market conditions.

The last time Ford used the F-100 nameplate was in 1983. While the new truck won't be as small as that vehicle, it is expected to be less than 90% the size of the F-150. Since the current F-150's wheelbase is 126 inches, the F-100s will be 113 or less. That's not far from the Ranger's current 111.5 inches. Engine choices are expected to included a turbocharged V6, a regular V8, and a diesel V8.

Ford recently announced the Ranger will stay in production through 2009, despite rumors about an imminent discontinuation. Ford says market demand will dictate how much longer it keeps building the compact truck. That said, Ford plans to close its St. Paul, Minnesota plant by the end of 2009, which means we may have a pretty firm timetable for its demise.

ifcar

The next generation F-150 is a 2012?

SVT666

I think it's a mistake.  The F-100 won't be anywhere near as narrow as the Ranger, and small pickups will be all the rage again because of soaring gas prices.

280Z Turbo

It will probably be a soft and porky midsizer a la Dodge Dakota.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on May 12, 2008, 11:08:37 AM
The next generation F-150 is a 2012?

They're probably scrambling to redeign it for CAFE and the plummeting demand for gas guzzlers.

r0tor

RIP the last of the actual compact sized compact pick-ups...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

No 4 cyl? Big mistake. A lot of people still like small 4 cyl trucks, and a lot more will like them as gas prices continue to rise.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Payman on May 12, 2008, 01:56:12 PM
No 4 cyl? Big mistake. A lot of people still like small 4 cyl trucks, and a lot more will like them as gas prices continue to rise.

I think Ford should have made a Hybrid Ranger. It would be great for businesses as well as consumers as the regular 2.3 is already rated at 21/26 mpg.

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2008, 02:02:28 PM
I think Ford should have made a Hybrid Ranger. It would be great for businesses as well as consumers as the regular 2.3 is already rated at 21/26 mpg.

It's time for the old 2.3 to be shot, buried, and cemented over.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Payman on May 12, 2008, 02:04:51 PM

The Mazda designed DOHC Duratec is old? :huh:

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on May 12, 2008, 01:53:24 PM
RIP the last of the actual compact sized compact pick-ups...

Colorado/Canyon?

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 12, 2008, 02:10:48 PM
Colorado/Canyon?
They're bigger then the Range I think.  I could be wrong though.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 12, 2008, 02:49:38 PM
They're bigger then the Range I think.  I could be wrong though.

A difference of about 3 inches in a couple of dimensions and 300 lbs. Nothing like a Dakota.

sandertheshark

What will Mazda be up to with the B-series?

ifcar

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 12, 2008, 05:28:56 PM
What will Mazda be up to with the B-series?

Probably nothing. A pickup doesn't really fit in with their current lineup, and hasn't been any form of high-volume in years.

Rupert

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 12, 2008, 11:09:08 AM
I think it's a mistake.  The F-100 won't be anywhere near as narrow as the Ranger, and small pickups will be all the rage again because of soaring gas prices.

Yeah. This is lame.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

They need to do something, 'cause the Ranger is dying on the vine, but I'm not sure this is a good move.

Anyone know where to look-up the percentage of Rangers sold with the 4-cyl?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2008, 12:56:49 AM
They need to do something, 'cause the Ranger is dying on the vine, but I'm not sure this is a good move.
Dying on the vine?  Ranger outsells the Titan and Frontier combined.  Ranger still sells in pretty high volume.

ifcar

They should keep the regular cab Ranger around after they introduce the F-100. Gear them for gas mileage over performance for CAFE benefits and sell them primarily to fleets. Though profit margins must be slim, development costs must have long been paid off.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2008, 09:27:57 AM
They should keep the regular cab Ranger around after they introduce the F-100. Gear them for gas mileage over performance for CAFE benefits and sell them primarily to fleets. Though profit margins must be slim, development costs must have long been paid off.
They should just come out with a new Ranger that is exactly the same size, but has an optional 4 door cab.  The lack of a 4 door cab would be the only thing stopping me from buying one.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 13, 2008, 09:41:27 AM
They should just come out with a new Ranger that is exactly the same size, but has an optional 4 door cab.  The lack of a 4 door cab would be the only thing stopping me from buying one.

At the four-door market, there's a greater demand for the extra space. It's why GM basically dropped into being a practically inconsequential player in the market of pickups smaller than Silverado, after pretty strong success with the S-10. Ford sort of had the right idea with selling the Ranger and Sport Trac, but the name was confusing and the bed was too small. I think Ford's plan will work, unless the F-100 fails to beat F-150 fuel consumption.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 13, 2008, 09:19:32 AM
Dying on the vine?

Figuratively speaking. Sales have dropped off, although it would still be my choice in this segment. My dad almost sold the Durango and bought two discounted Rangers (one for me and the other for him) a couple years ago when he saw the huge discounts (4Gs for a 2WD and 9Gs for a 4WD). Unfortunately for me, he's not an impulse shopper.

Outselling the Titan and Frontier isn't anything to brag about.

It's still a sweet grape, but it's going to wither and wilt without attention.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2008, 10:11:24 AM

Outselling the Titan and Frontier isn't anything to brag about.

It is when the Range sales are more then those two combined.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 13, 2008, 10:53:35 AM
It is when the Range sales are more then those two combined.

So is every other pickup's on the market.

It'd be like me bragging about beating Ron White and Drew Carey in a foot race. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Payman on May 12, 2008, 02:04:51 PM
You may be thinking of the old 2.3 pushrod/OHC based on an old British I4.  I believe it was used first in the Pinto in NA and then the Tempo and Mustang, et al.

The 2.3 in the Ranger is a DOHC derived from the Mazda 2.0.  It's a pretty decent little engine.

I'd really like to get a 2.3 Ranger before they stop making them.  New ones are a good value but used ones are hard to come by.  The F-100 doesn't sound very appealing for my needs.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 13, 2008, 09:41:27 AM
Have you tried the Supercab.  It's, sort of, a 4 door.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2008, 11:01:13 AM
So is every other pickup's on the market.

It'd be like me bragging about beating Ron White in a foot race. :lol:
Weel, the point I'm trying to make is that this is a truck that everyone says isn't competitive, needs to die, needs to grow in size, yada yada yada.  But the facts are that it outsells all compact trucks (admittedly there are only 2), most of the mid-sizers, and 2 of the 5 full sizers.  This truck is far from being irrelevant or uncompetitive.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 13, 2008, 11:20:32 AM
Weel, the point I'm trying to make is that this is a truck that everyone says isn't competitive, needs to die, needs to grow in size, yada yada yada.  But the facts are that it outsells all compact trucks (admittedly there are only 2), most of the mid-sizers, and 2 of the 5 full sizers.  This truck is far from being irrelevant or uncompetitive.

Do you have complete pickup YTD data for 2008? The only list I have is for January, and it's incomplete.

I like the Ranger, and I would buy it over any other compact/midsize truck on the market, but sales are falling. If Ford wants to boost them, it need to do something. Marketing and discounts will only go so far.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on May 12, 2008, 11:09:08 AM
I think it's a mistake.  The F-100 won't be anywhere near as narrow as the Ranger, and small pickups will be all the rage again because of soaring gas prices.

I wonder how wide the Tacoma is versus the F150.  I'm just curious...they seem rather close in width.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on May 13, 2008, 08:35:49 PM
I wonder how wide the Tacoma is versus the F150.  I'm just curious...they seem rather close in width.

Tacoma reg/ext cab: 72.2 inches
Tacoma crew cab: 74.6 inches
F-150 (all): 78.9 inches