Sticky door locks

Started by akuma_supreme, May 14, 2008, 05:50:15 PM

akuma_supreme

So my much-loved and up until now bullet-proof 2003 Civic EX coupe has now developed a pair of finicky door-locks.  Most times now either one or both door locks will not open with the key fob.  They will open if I use the key, and the passenger side will pretty reliably lock or unlock with the power door-lock button inside the car (the driver's side door will not open or close with the power switch).

Here's the weird part though.  Every morning, both doors open and close like a champ- even with the key-fob.  The problem only seems to manifest when it has warmed up outside, or when the car has been driven for awhile. 

I'm really loathe to spend the $200-$300 a dealership would charge to fix it, since it is more of a nuisance than anything else.  I'm thinking about picking up a Hayne's manual and attempting it myself.  I've done some work on other cars ( I've replaced brake pads, a clutch cylinder, and a radiator) but I've never done electrical before.

So what do the rest of you guys think?

VTEC_Inside

If they are like the RSX locks (and they probably are) then they are part of the latch assembly. Try hosing them down with grease for starters, maybe some of it will work in there where it needs to be.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

akuma_supreme

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 14, 2008, 07:12:04 PM
If they are like the RSX locks (and they probably are) then they are part of the latch assembly. Try hosing them down with grease for starters, maybe some of it will work in there where it needs to be.

By latch assembly, do you mean the mechanism where the door actually clamps onto the body frame (ie door-sill) or the mechanism behind the flipper handles on the interior and exterior of the door, or both?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: akuma_supreme on May 14, 2008, 07:58:15 PM
By latch assembly, do you mean the mechanism where the door actually clamps onto the body frame (ie door-sill) or the mechanism behind the flipper handles on the interior and exterior of the door, or both?

The part in the door that grabs the body.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...