Spy Shots: 2007 Jeep Compass

Started by BMWDave, July 19, 2005, 09:13:15 AM

BMWDave

With its vertical bar grille, there's no question that this is Jeep's upcoming compact SUV.  

We've already seen what Dodge has in store for the small SUV market with the upcoming Caliber, and now it's Jeep's turn. Our latest spy photos show a prototype of what is expected to be the 2007 Jeep Compass. This new compact will be one of two new Jeeps based on a front-wheel-drive platform developed with Mitsubishi.

Unlike most Jeeps, the Compass won't be built for hard-core off-roading. Designed to compete with the likes of Ford's Escape and the Honda CR-V, the all-wheel-drive system in the Compass will be more an all-weather system with no low-range gearing. Power will come from a range of four-cylinder engines and styling will be similar to the Compass concept vehicle shown several years ago.

A slightly smaller and more wagonlike Jeep is also expected off the same platform. It will have a lower roofline and a slightly shorter wheelbase. It's expected to arrive next summer a few months before the Compass, but after the spring introduction of the Dodge Caliber. All three vehicles will be built at a DaimlerChrysler plant in Belvidere, Illinois.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

280Z Turbo

I was going to complain that this thing was FWD and not a real Jeep, but if it sells cars, why not slap that name on it?!

BMWDave

QuoteI was going to complain that this thing was FWD and not a real Jeep, but if it sells cars, why not slap that name on it?!
Once again, this is Jeep deviating from their heritage.  Give this SUV to Dodge, Jeep shouldnt be selling it.

2007 Honda S2000

EdG

When I think Jeep, i think of a trail rated, muddy truck thats just come back from a day of serious off roading, not a cute 'ute.

thewizard16

Jeep's going to have to throw their whole brand image out the window by introducing an on-road SUV as well as a wagon. Bad idea.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

holy crap, why the hell is jeep selling this POS?

ifcar

I suppose they'll be considered an SUV brand rather than an off-road oriented brand. But I doubt this new vehicle will change the minds of the real off-road buyers about Jeep, as long as they keep the Wrangler around.

JYODER240

I thought the Liberty allready competed in this segment?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TBR

It is too truckish for some folks apparantly, plus it be pricey.  

BMWDave

QuoteI thought the Liberty allready competed in this segment?
The liberty at least has 4WD and box section steel frame.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

Yeah, atleast the Liberty is a capable offroader not built on some unibody or some crap.

Tom

'93, as a Jeep owner and enthusiast, do you think Jeep is pussifying?

TBR

I can answer that for him, yes. He has been complaining about the new Jeep Grand Cherokee since it came out for being too soft, can't imagine he doesn't feel the same way about the Compass and even the Liberty.

giant_mtb

This is off-topic...but while I was at the dealership today (the one where I investigated the Ridgy) I checked out the HEMI Grand Cherokee...I wasn't at all impressed with its cargo volume in the back...it seemed cramped and small...

TBR

The Grand Cherokee has never been a particularly roomy vehicle.  

giant_mtb

QuoteThe Grand Cherokee has never been a particularly roomy vehicle.
Then why is it so big?  :blink:  :rolleyes:  

TBR

It really isn't that big, it is likely smaller than an Explorer which isn't too roomy itself.  

giant_mtb

Yeah but there is a largely noticeable difference between the cargo capacity of the two.  The pillars and sheetmetal in the back of the GC seem to be very thick...the pillars intrude far into the cargo area...that's one thing I noticed about it in my brief tour of it.  If they made those a bit smaller they could improve cargo area volume.

TBR

Those are probably necessary for optimal rigidity, most GC buyers don't need much cargo area anyway (unlike most suvs I believe a majority of GC owners are empty nesters).  

giant_mtb

That's true.  But I was otherwise satisfied with the GC.

TBR

I don't like it myself, the exterior is alright, but the interior is dreadful imho.  

giant_mtb

I was satisfied with the driver-passenger row of the interior...but then it was plain and dark in the back...nothing all that nice or exciting.

93JC

Yeah, atleast the Liberty is a capable offroader not built on some unibody or some crap.
:blink:

Save for the YJ and TJ, every new Jeep since 1984 has been unibody...

93JC

Quote'93, as a Jeep owner and enthusiast, do you think Jeep is pussifying?
Of course. They have been for a long time now.

giant_mtb

The Wranglers are still very capable off-roaders though, right?  I mean especially for your average person...?

93JC

For your average person cute-utes are "capable" offroaders.

TJ is probably the single most capable offroader on the new car market. The Rubicon is inarguably the most capable.

giant_mtb

ifcar

TBR, the Grand Cherokee is inarguably much smaller inside than an Explorer. Not only does the GC have only 67.4 cubic feet of cargo space compared to the Explorer's 87.8, but also fit a third row and a comfortable second-row seat, while the GC managed neither.

And deciding what consumers need and don't need is the kind of arrogance that none of the Big Three can currently afford.  

TBR

Chrysler decided that buyers didn't need FWD and look how successful the 300 is. They have to understand their customer and offer what that customer needs or wants, that is why they lost so much marketshare during the '80s and '90s. Cubic footage doesn't tell me anything, floor space is the most useful way of measuring cargo capacity.  

TBR

GC:

Explorer:

From these photos it at least looks like the GC has only slightly less flloor area.