Why you don't buy cheap tools

Started by Byteme, May 15, 2008, 07:35:33 AM

Byteme

Working on a car last night and torquing a nut to 80 ft/lbs, that's not a whole lot of torque.  using a 3/8 adaptor in a 1/2" torque wrench with a 2" extension and a 11/16 socket.  All craftsman except the extension which was god know what (harbor freight?, flea market?).  At about 70 ft/lbs the extension broke, fortunately it twisted like a piece of licorice before completely breaking so I had warning and didn't get hurt.

Cheap tools car ruin what you are working on and can get you hurt. 

VTEC_Inside

Ouch... I bought a set of cheap extensions once thinking how bad could it be, they are bars of metal.

They didn't snap either, they just twisted in front of my eyes. I've borderline abused my Mastercraft extensions and aside from a mild indent in the chrome on the one its fine.

I've also got a few sockets from some old cheap sets that have split open as well.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

GoCougs

It should handle more than 70 ft-lb, but 3/8" adapter in a 1/2" ratchet is asking for trouble.

Byteme

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2008, 08:29:38 AM
It should handle more than 70 ft-lb, but 3/8" adapter in a 1/2" ratchet is asking for trouble.

1/2" torque wrench.  Generally I agree but quality 3/8 extensions are rated for more than 70 ft/lbs 

Pancor

Yes.  If you even just an occasional user, quality tools are well worth it!

S204STi

Yeah there are a number of 3/8" torque wrenches that get up to over 150ft/lbs, so the size of his wrench wasn't the issue, it was the quality of the extension.

FWIW I have some el-cheapo Autozone 1/2" drive extensions that I beat the crap out of on a regular basis, mostly with an impact gun.

But yeah I generally agree with John, get good tools.

AutobahnSHO

+1 more

I'm not a big guy so if I break it you know it was cheap- several sockets and a cheap 3/8 driver...
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

I've had a few cheap sockets blow apart when used with and impact, a piece could easily damage an eye if you got hit with it.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 16, 2008, 07:17:51 AM
I've had a few cheap sockets blow apart when used with and impact, a piece could easily damage an eye if you got hit with it.

Which is why I often wear saftey goggles.  another way you can really get hurt is when you are leaning on a breaker bar or ratchet and the socket or breaker bar breaks and your knuckles, with about 80 ft/lbs of force, slams into the car or floor. 

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Byteme on May 16, 2008, 08:00:31 AM
Which is why I often wear saftey goggles.  another way you can really get hurt is when you are leaning on a breaker bar or ratchet and the socket or breaker bar breaks and your knuckles, with about 80 ft/lbs of force, slams into the car or floor. 

Or you break the ratchet mechanism in a cheap socket wrench resulting in the same.

r0tor

in case you didn't know, putting that many extensions on a torque wrench is generally not approved from the hardcore torqueing community
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on May 16, 2008, 08:19:59 AM
in case you didn't know, putting that many extensions on a torque wrench is generally not approved from the hardcore torqueing community
wet blanket!   :-)

Will

VTEC_Inside

What does a Wankel owner know about hardcore torque?

:p lol....

S204STi

Fortunately I live in the real world, wherein the only things that get torqued are lug nuts and engine/tranny/driveline components.  Even some of those are trivial...

JWC

Except for screwdrivers, I've never had a problem with cheap tools. 

Over half my tools are Craftsman.  The rest are divided up with tools I needed but didn't want to spend a fortune to acquire (a tool only used rarely) and my grandfather's old tools.  My grandfather's hand tools are probably sixty years old or more and I still use them on my cars.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on May 16, 2008, 09:33:56 PM
Fortunately I live in the real world, wherein the only things that get torqued are lug nuts and engine/tranny/driveline components.  Even some of those are trivial...

Quote from: JWC on May 16, 2008, 10:12:35 PM
Except for screwdrivers, I've never had a problem with cheap tools. 

Ditto.

I have to chuckle at those of you who think cheap tools are a safety hazard. My bolts and threads usually break long before the tools. I have broken tools before, but that usually involes a cheater bar + 1/4" drive tools.

I'd be more worried about grizzy bear attacks than flying debris from shattered tools.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 16, 2008, 10:25:10 PM
Ditto.

I have to chuckle at those of you who think cheap tools are a safety hazard. My bolts and threads usually break long before the tools. I have broken tools before, but that usually involes a cheater bar + 1/4" drive tools.

I'd be more worried about grizzy bear attacks than flying debris from shattered tools.

Depends on the tool. I wouldn't for instance use an off brand chinese spring compressor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

I had no idea such a thing existed.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 16, 2008, 10:37:23 PM
Depends on the tool. I wouldn't for instance use an off brand chinese spring compressor.

Fair enough.

It sure would hurt to get a coil spring stuck in your eye brain.

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 16, 2008, 10:42:07 PM
Fair enough.

It sure would hurt to get a coil spring stuck in your eye brain.

I've had a spring fly out of a wall-mounted compressor...scary.

280Z Turbo

Luckily, my Tokico springs are not under compression when the car is in the air.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 16, 2008, 10:46:04 PM
Luckily, my Tokico springs are not under compression when the car is in the air.

I'll put your springs under compression, if you know what I mean.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 17, 2008, 03:48:56 PM
I'll put your springs under compression, if you know what I mean.

You're a fatteh?

Raza

I am able to sidestep the situation by avoiding buying tools completely.

:tounge:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: R-inge on May 16, 2008, 09:33:56 PM

i just bought a couple torque wrenches so everything gets torqued now for a while!  I did find out that my old 2 clicks of the elbow was fairly accurate all these years on my lugnuts  :tounge:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on May 18, 2008, 09:25:22 AM
i just bought a couple torque wrenches so everything gets torqued now for a while!  I did find out that my old 2 clicks of the elbow was fairly accurate all these years on my lugnuts  :tounge:

I actually just bought a really nice $250 SnapOn Techwrench...digital torque wrench with a digital readout and buzzer/beeper when you are on target.  Reads in Nm, Ft/lbs, and In/lbs.  :dancingbanana:

Byteme

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 16, 2008, 10:25:10 PM
Ditto.

It does depend onthe tool.  I've got a cheap wheel bearing packing device and other light usage stuff from the discount tool store.  No problems there but I've used cheap wrenches that were good for little more than rounding the heads off of nuts and bolts extensions that broke at 70 ft/lbs, cheap coping saws that won't hold a blade.

I wouldn't cheap out on screwdrivers wrenches, sockets or drive tools.  Crappy screwdrivers all too often simply butcher the screw head.  A broken wrench or socket can damage both the part and you when it breaks.

Morris Minor

Well, I can't see what all the fuss is about. I bought a cheap made-in-China trolley jack 20 years ago and have never had a probl... (aargh, thunk)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

J86

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 29, 2008, 06:11:01 AM
Well, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I bought a cheap made-in-China trolley jack 20 years ago and have never had a probl... (aargh, thunk)

we bought a cheap made in china chain fall a few years back to haul the motor out of our boat.  Such a redneck set up, I lashed the chainfall to a big tree, backed the boat up, hoisted it out, and drove the boat away, leaving the motor dangling.  Then we had to push it to swing it in to the trunk of our old volvo :lol:  We were all a bit terrified of the thing...

AutobahnSHO

So I bought a $13 jigsaw today. I need to do some light cutting and figured, "why not?"

Well halfway through the first cut (5 foot through 1/2" plywood) the blade snaps. Good thing it came with 3 blades-

And after I finished all my other cutting today I realize that the cheap method of holding the blade in a roller isn't the best- the back of the blade came out of the roller and cut partially through the little axle holding the roller...   

Oh well- I just have a little more sawing tomorrow.
Will