Bimmer Games Pt. 3: E38 vs. E65/6

Started by the Teuton, May 16, 2008, 06:20:44 PM

the Teuton

Let's cut to the chase, which one would I pick if I were a buying man?  Neither.

Let me explain. 

The E38 is a wonderful, big car.  For having such light steering, it's pretty direct.  The car feels much smaller than it is, but it provides a very full-sized interior.  To me, it's the best example of the last old world BMWs, loaded with power damn-near everything, As it picks up speed, the car shrinks around you, feeling almost like just a really big 3 Series.  But it does have some drawbacks.  The old world style of the car means that it's also very dated.

The power adjustable steering wheel is slow to move and loud, as if the motors in the wheels came straight out of 1980s technology.  The navigation system looks out of place, and it's not very intuitive.  Windows 95 looks newer in comparison.  The wired-in phone is just hilariously anachronistic, and the inside door handles grab bars are just too small to properly move the massive doors with ease. 

The newer BMW feels more bucked down on the road, and its engine is so much smoother by comparison.  The iDrive isn't the easiest navi to use, but it isn't bad for basic operations.  For more advanced functions, I wish BMW kept the hordes of buttons from the E38 on the dash.  Some of the newer technology made driving this car much easier than it could have been, including the parking radar that shows up on the iDrive screen. 

But the car had some cheap-feeling spots in it, including the plastic start/stop button that felt like it could crack under long-term use.  The satin finish wood looked fake, and the leather felt like gator skin -- not really that soft.  It is, however, a much improved executive sedan over an already really good E38.

So why wouldn't I pick either?

Answer:  The Audi A8.

I got to drive the dealership's owner's A8L today, and I absolutely fell in love with it, whereas I was really indecisive as to which BMW I'd pick if it were my own car.  The A8 has a back up camera on top of a radar, as well as a projected lane of trajectory based on your steering wheel angle mapped out on the screen.  The seats are softer, the leather is richer, the steering, while still light, is comparable to the better steering from the E38, while the ride is more compliant than the better E65's. 

The functions and controls are easier to use and the transmission felt just as smooth, if not smoother, than the E65's.  The only thing the E65 topped the A8 in was passing power and speed of the transmission kickdown. 

Given that the A8's interior is just plain gorgeous, it seals the deal.  I think I have a new favorite full-sized luxury sedan until I get to drive the Lexus LS and MB S Class.  And even then, I might still pick the A8.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

And given the A8's tremendous depreciation, it can be yours for a song in just a couple years...

There's an A8 that parks in front of the office building from time to time. I've racked up quite a few minutes staring through the tinted windows, mentally stroking the dash. Beautiful.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

I think the glaring weak point on the A8 might be the transmission while I'm not really sure the 7er has any weak points.  It just doesn't have nearly as many strong points.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2008, 06:20:44 PM
The E38 is a wonderful, big car.  For having such light steering, it's pretty direct.  The car feels much smaller than it is, but it provides a very full-sized interior.

I agree.

QuoteTo me, it's the best example of the last old world BMWs, loaded with power damn-near everything, As it picks up speed, the car shrinks around you, feeling almost like just a really big 3 Series.

Again, I completely agree, Especially driving fast through the switchbacks in the Blue Ridge Mountains... ;)

QuoteBut it does have some drawbacks.

Yeah, a few. At this point in it's life, most are 10 years old, and things start to go wrong at high miles. Luckily most parts are cheap.

QuoteThe old world style of the car means that it's also very dated.

Iiiiahhhh... don't really agree. I think it's the best looking of the big BMWs and a timeless design, still looking attractive like a well cut business suit.

QuoteThe power adjustable steering wheel is slow to move and loud, as if the motors in the wheels came straight out of 1980s technology.

Well, the first E38 did come out in '94, and the development had been earlier than that. And yes, it's a bit loud, but it's not bad to live with.

QuoteThe navigation system looks out of place, and it's not very intuitive.  Windows 95 looks newer in comparison.

Nav? What's that? How many cars of it's era even HAD Nav? I don't even want it in a NEW car...

QuoteThe wired-in phone is just hilariously anachronistic,

Hahaha. I completely agree! but then again, that's all too common in '90s luxury cars.

Quoteand the inside door handles grab bars are just too small to properly move the massive doors with ease.

Wut? I'm no musclebuilder by any stretch, but they are VERY easy to move with the handles. Ergonomically I find them about perfect. I really don't understand this comment.

QuoteThe newer BMW feels more bucked down on the road, and its engine is so much smoother by comparison.

I find it feels softer, and yes, the engine is quieter. For me personally, I like the sound of the E38 better. More muscular. Makes me smile every time a punch the throttle. Like a guy in a business suit who's gone to the gym regularly.

The iDrive isn't the easiest navi to use, but it isn't bad for basic operations.  For more advanced functions, I wish BMW kept the hordes of buttons from the E38 on the dash.  Some of the newer technology made driving this car much easier than it could have been, including the parking radar that shows up on the iDrive screen.

There's been a lot of naysaying on the iDrive. It is a bit clunky to use to start with, but it's not that difficult to master when you get to live with the car for more than a test drive. But yeah, the earlier car is much easier to use right off the bat.

QuoteBut the car had some cheap-feeling spots in it, including the plastic start/stop button that felt like it could crack under long-term use.  The satin finish wood looked fake, and the leather felt like gator skin -- not really that soft.  It is, however, a much improved executive sedan over an already really good E38.

As long as you like the controversial looks. The facelifted version is growing on me, however.

QuoteSo why wouldn't I pick either?

Answer:  The Audi A8.

I got to drive the dealership's owner's A8L today, and I absolutely fell in love with it, whereas I was really indecisive as to which BMW I'd pick if it were my own car.  The A8 has a back up camera on top of a radar, as well as a projected lane of trajectory based on your steering wheel angle mapped out on the screen.  The seats are softer, the leather is richer, the steering, while still light, is comparable to the better steering from the E38, while the ride is more compliant than the better E65's. 

The functions and controls are easier to use and the transmission felt just as smooth, if not smoother, than the E65's.  The only thing the E65 topped the A8 in was passing power and speed of the transmission kickdown. 

Given that the A8's interior is just plain gorgeous, it seals the deal.  I think I have a new favorite full-sized luxury sedan until I get to drive the Lexus LS and MB S Class.  And even then, I might still pick the A8.

While I like the A8, I prefer the E38. And voted with my wallet. Though I'd take the A8 over the E65 (and Lexus and Mercedes)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

CALL_911

Quote from: ChrisV on May 16, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
There's been a lot of naysaying on the iDrive. It is a bit clunky to use to start with, but it's not that difficult to master when you get to live with the car for more than a test drive. But yeah, the earlier car is much easier to use right off the bat.

Absolutely. iDrive is very, very simple. And as I've said before, the voice commands simplify things even more.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2008, 06:20:44 PM
The A8 has a back up camera on top of a radar, as well as a projected lane of trajectory based on your steering wheel angle mapped out on the screen.

My uncle's new X5 has that; I'm surprised the 7 doesn't.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

The current A8 is a simply stunning car. The stance and attention to detail on that car are just exquisite.

the Teuton

Quote from: Tave on May 16, 2008, 11:18:18 PM
My uncle's new X5 has that; I'm surprised the 7 doesn't.

The new one would.  The 7er came out in 2002, and it is showing it a little.

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 16, 2008, 08:40:16 PM
Absolutely. iDrive is very, very simple. And as I've said before, the voice commands simplify things even more.

iDrive is not simple if it needs two sets of redundant controls.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14623.msg821946#msg821946 date=1211067539
iDrive is not simple if it needs two sets of redundant controls.
'

So by that measure, neither is COMAND, or any radio with volume and channel controls on the steering wheel. :rolleyes:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 17, 2008, 06:01:35 PM
'

So by that measure, neither is COMAND, or any radio with volume and channel controls on the steering wheel. :rolleyes:

"Needs" and "has" are two different things.  When iDrive came out, it was deemed necessary to have redundant controls because it was too labor intensive to use it on the move for simple actions. 

I never said COMAND was simple either.  A standard radio system is far simpler. 

Buttons are simple.  Buttons are good.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.