Fuzion HRi tires?

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 29, 2008, 11:12:14 PM

280Z Turbo

I'm looking at getting some new tires for the Focus since the current ones are mismatched and cupping. These Fuzion HRi's seem pretty good for what I need:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=HRi&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=05HR6HRI&fromCompare1=yes&place=2&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S

I don't want ultimate performance and I'd like to get some decent mileage out of these. I thought about getting high performance summer tires, but it can snow unexpectedly in Michigan and I don't want to be up the creek without a paddle. Are these tires any good?

BTW, what is causing my cupping on the inner tread? Toe?

Soup DeVille

Cupping on the front or the rear tires?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 29, 2008, 11:20:55 PM
front

Could either be excessive toe-in or just hard driving.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

I don't drive it that hard. Rough pockmarked tires are what I call hard driving.

Soup DeVille

Well, if it was pushing really bad...

But Focusses don't really do that that much, do they?

280Z Turbo

Does it understeer?!

Hell yeah it understeers! :lol:

Pancor

I have sold many sets of ZRi's, and the feedback has been all good.   

MX793

The ZRi is a completely different tire.  It's a summer performance tire with a unique tread pattern, whereas the HRi and VRi are all season (differing only by speed rating).  I've got a set of HRis.  Decent tires for the money.  I'd say dry traction is pretty comparable to the Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on my car, wet traction might be slightly better and snow traction is way better.  I was pretty impressed with their traction in snow.  I recall pulling into my slightly uphill driveway one evening this winter and the snow was up to the rocker skirts and I had no idea it was that deep until I opened the door because the tires just scrambled through the snow without any trouble.

If I had one complaint, it would be that they're pretty noisy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

I have no use for trailbraking.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

The Fuzions are on backorder for 6-8 weeks according to tirerack. I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Plus, I heard that HRi's are unbearably noisy.

I think I want these General Altimax HP's now. I'm a little concerned because they are "Grand Touring" rated, but most of my driving is freeway driving anyway. Any kind of sanctioned performance driving with the car is strictly out of the question because I have 3 other cars to thrash on.

I don't want the tires to hurt the handling, but these sound pretty good. I currently run 3 year old Kelly Evo Z's with roughly the same treadwear rating.

Will these hurt my handling? Should I go with Kumho ASX's instead?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+HP&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=05HR6AMAXHP&fromCompare1=yes&place=21&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=S

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on June 20, 2008, 08:35:58 PM
I've heard good things about this tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+Sport

I have those on the Z.

They're pretty good, but I've never run a legitimate high performance tire on it before so I've got nothing to compare it to.

S204STi

I'm probably going to try either those or the RE960AS Potenza, or  the new gForce Super Sport A/S.

S204STi

Oh, or the Pilot Sport A/S.

280Z Turbo

Mine have very few miles on them, but they're all torn up from track use already. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 21, 2008, 12:05:15 PM
Mine have very few miles on them, but they're all torn up from track use already. :lol:

:rockon:

280Z Turbo

Mostly on the outside edges. There's still most of the tread depth there, but inner tread block is all scrubbed down.

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 21, 2008, 12:22:49 PM
Mostly on the outside edges. There's still most of the tread depth there, but inner tread block is all scrubbed down.

Do you run a lot of camber and toe?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on June 21, 2008, 12:31:14 PM
Do you run a lot of camber and toe?

I don't run enough camber.

S204STi

Inside block is all scrubbed down but you're not running enough camber... :puzzled:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: R-inge on June 21, 2008, 04:37:55 PM
Inside block is all scrubbed down but you're not running enough camber... :puzzled:

I said outside, but I realize I didn't make that very clear.

The middle tread block is all scrubbed down on the outside edge.