Click here for my drive of an Si Sedan and thoughts vs my RSX-S.

Started by VTEC_Inside, May 30, 2008, 01:03:13 PM

VTEC_Inside

Was at the dealer today with the gfs Civic for its first oil change.

Seemed like we were waiting forever so I asked one of the guys I know if there were any Si's on demo duty. (I wouldn't want a car with any kms on it, so I just wont drive someone elses new car)

Low and behold there is an '08 Si Sedan in a silver/gold similar to my Accord out on the lot, Score!...

First thing the gf says is that she doesn't like the red, lol... (All blue lighting in the normal Civics).

First thing I notice is that the steering is a bit lighter than my car and that the shifter feels 100% better through the gates. My 2nd gear feels like ass... *see below for more on this.

Get it going and note that its a lot quieter, but then again I've got a short ram intake on mine. That said, the tone is different, has a little bit higher pitch. Feels a little torquier, but probably just the shorter final drive. In any event, feels noticeably stronger than my RSX below 3000rpm...

After a short drive to get it warm I stand on it the first time, lighting up the tires off the line, yeah, its definitely stronger out of the hole. Credit the larger better tires and or the limited slip, but it is quite simply less frantic through 1st gear, shift light is more handy than I would have given it credit for as well.

The VTEC transition is about as audible as the stock RSX-S, but not as noticeable power wise. Its a more linear pull through the revs. I really didn't look at the speedo all that much, but my gf joked that it was jumping in 10s of kph, lol...

The LSD is a god send, you can pretty much get on it whenever and it just goes without the under-steer I've grown accustomed to.

I let it have it down an on ramp hitting the rev limiter in 3rd (oops), and as I'm merging onto the hwy my gf said something about the speed, I look down, "1" "7" "2", oh wow, thinking back to trip to court this morning, lol... I've done similar in the RSX-S, but it was different seeing it like that.

The ride is worlds better than the RSX-S. It does roll more, but still handles at least as well. My gf and I both agree that it generally rode more comfortably than her LX.

The brake booster was enlarged for the '05 RSX, I have to believe it was carried over to the Si. I never thought that my RSXs brakes felt lacking in any way, but now I know different. They "feel" a LOT stronger than my car. I quote feel, because its the same hardware at the wheels, maybe a different compound brake pad, but...

Overall I was quite impressed by it. If only it had auto climate control I would probably turn my RSX in on one. We shall see what they do for '09.

* Anyone that knows about the RSX-S knows that 2nd gear has been a problem on most of them since 2002. 3rd gear also acts up. There has been at least 2 TSBs for 2nd gear, and most recently one for 3rd gear covering ALL (V6 included) 6spds from 2002-2008. This was an early 2008 car that I drove today and I experienced the same 3rd gear blockage that I've felt in my RSX. It was better, but it was the SAME thing. That said, the transmission was INFINITELY better in feel than mine overall.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

CJ

I tried to get my dad into a CPO '08 Si before we bought the Volvo, but he said it was 'too sporty.'  PFFT....

Raza

Definitely a great car.  Honda hit this one out of the park.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on May 30, 2008, 02:24:23 PM
Uglier cars have been forgiven.

Yeah that... I've never really had a problem with the way the car looks.

Raza

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on May 30, 2008, 05:21:24 PM
Yeah that... I've never really had a problem with the way the car looks.

I definitely do.  But then again, when you're driving one, it doesn't really matter.  It's not as bad as many other cars people drool over. 

It's been a long, long time since I drove the standard Si.  But the memory of the Mugen still clings, like my drive in the Elise.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Raza  on May 30, 2008, 07:46:16 PM
I definitely do.  But then again, when you're driving one, it doesn't really matter.  It's not as bad as many other cars people drool over. 

Yep, much like the fact that it wasn't really apparent that I was driving a Sedan. I kinda like the way the sedan looks in comparison too... If I were to get one it probably would be the sedan.

Northlands

I'm glad they have a sedan version of the Si now. With any luck the dealership will have a demo the next time I take my car in for service.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

omicron

I must confess - I've fallen for the lines-everywhere kiwifruit-on-wheels Civic Type-R. The owner of the Wendy's across from work has just bought one, and it's an absolute riot.

VTEC_Inside

I have to add since my opinion on the DBW since I forgot to mention it.

It wasn't until the later half of my drive that I even really noticed it. The revs do hang ever so slightly as you shift, but I didn't find it troublesome. If anything it was kinda helpful as the rpms fall rather quickly on this engine.

What did kinda catch me off guard is that it does the same thing while driving in gear. If I backed off the gas there was a momentary delay until you could feel the full extent of engine braking.

Still, compared to my moms '05 Corolla, this was nothing.

the Teuton

Quote from: omicron on June 01, 2008, 08:24:11 AM
I must confess - I've fallen for the lines-everywhere kiwifruit-on-wheels Civic Type-R. The owner of the Wendy's across from work has just bought one, and it's an absolute riot.

Wait, you have Ohio-based Wendy's in Australia?  Weird.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: Raza  on May 30, 2008, 02:24:23 PM
Uglier cars have been forgiven.

I actually think the coupe is quite attractive, too bad about the interior though.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 01, 2008, 09:30:24 AM
I have to add since my opinion on the DBW since I forgot to mention it.

It wasn't until the later half of my drive that I even really noticed it. The revs do hang ever so slightly as you shift, but I didn't find it troublesome. If anything it was kinda helpful as the rpms fall rather quickly on this engine.

What did kinda catch me off guard is that it does the same thing while driving in gear. If I backed off the gas there was a momentary delay until you could feel the full extent of engine braking.

Still, compared to my moms '05 Corolla, this was nothing.

I'm not sure that's strictly a drive by wire thing.  I test drove a Focus ('01 or '02 model) that hung on to revs so badly that you could literally count off 3 seconds after letting off the gas before the engine responded.  I'm pretty sure that the car wasn't DBW.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2008, 08:50:25 PM
I'm not sure that's strictly a drive by wire thing.  I test drove a Focus ('01 or '02 model) that hung on to revs so badly that you could literally count off 3 seconds after letting off the gas before the engine responded.  I'm pretty sure that the car wasn't DBW.

Well, throttles have been able to be sticky ever since the dawn of time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 01, 2008, 08:52:10 PM
Well, throttles have been able to be sticky ever since the dawn of time.

I don't think this was a sticky throttle.  I've read a few complaints in magazines and such about Fords of that period hanging onto revs, most blame emissions programming.  This particular car had a CEL lit, which leads me to believe it was an emissions problem.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Vinsanity

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2008, 09:00:11 PM
I don't think this was a sticky throttle.  I've read a few complaints in magazines and such about Fords of that period hanging onto revs, most blame emissions programming.  This particular car had a CEL lit, which leads me to believe it was an emissions problem.

bingo. My 1999 Cougar did the exact same thing for a while when the CEL was lit one time

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2008, 08:50:25 PM

I drove an Audi A4 that was similar; I imagine some cars run a heavier flywheel to keep a smooth idle, which in turn will also cause a car to hang onto revs.

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on June 02, 2008, 11:50:24 AM
I drove an Audi A4 that was similar; I imagine some cars run a heavier flywheel to keep a smooth idle, which in turn will also cause a car to hang onto revs.

A heavier flywheel will cause a car to lose revs more slowly.  This car I drove, the tach literally did not budge (it may have actually climbed a hundred RPM or so) for about 3 seconds after releasing the throttle.  Once the revs started dropping, they dropped pretty quickly.  Typical of any typical 4 banger I've driven.
Needs more Jiggawatts

VTEC_Inside

Well in this case I'm pretty sure its DBW programming. The K20Z1 is essentially the K20A2 from my RSX-S with:
- slightly different cams
- Balance shaft

My engine doesn't hang at all and the revs fall quite quickly.

This topic was widely discussed when the Si first came out. Honda released an ECU software update to reduce the amount of hang.

This is pretty much what the one I drove did. The revs do start to fall immediately, but not very quickly at first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbkkQ21Ea4

sportyaccordy

I love the Si sedan. Good post. I would seriously consider it for my next car if the E36 M3 didn't exist. It is def. a strange looking car but a Honda w/DOHC VTEC and LSD is a very hard combination to beat as far as fun goes.

I also find it interesting that it rides better than the stock LX. I will bet the quicker responding shock/spring combo make for less fuss over bumps making them seem less intense.

VTEC_Inside

Just realized that we get f'd out of VSA and traction control in Canada.

To get it we HAVE to buy the CSX-S which then includes HIDs, Leather, Auto climate, etc, etc... for $10k more...

Sigh...

Raza

Who needs VSA or TCS?

My Passat has ASR (aka simple TCS), and I have never driven with it on.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on June 01, 2008, 09:00:11 PM

The holding on to revs thing is for emmisions.

My old California emmisions Z motor was designed to do the same thing.

cawimmer430

You have a high-tech DSLR camera and you dare come to Carspin without pictures of those cars?  :devil: :devil: :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 06, 2008, 04:30:25 AM
You have a high-tech DSLR camera and you dare come to Carspin without pictures of those cars?  :devil: :devil: :devil:

I'm working on an HDR...

lol... nah, didn't even have my D70 with me.... I didn't leave from my house to go to the dealer so...