Could this be the new G?

Started by Submariner, July 20, 2005, 02:11:52 PM

Submariner

2006 Mercedes Benz G-Class Spy Photos
by Przemek Lis
edited 07-20-2005

advertisement

We are receiving conflicting reports from our sources regarding the new 2006 G-Class.  It has been suggested that these spy photos are actually a larger version of the new M-Class dubbed the MLX and not the G-Class.  If true, this would help clarify the model position of this SUV which clearly shows more resemblance to the M-Class than the G-Class.  Previously we reported the MLX-Class or MLK name to be reserved for the smaller SUV Mercedes is currently developing to compete with BMW's X3.  But with this new knowledge perhaps MLK (ala SLK) would be more appropriate and possibly the nomenclature strategy Mercedes is pursuing.  Nevertheless, this alleged MLX will be based on the same R-Class/M-Class platform and will have 3 rows of seats, air suspension and same engines as the M-Class in addition to the new AMG 6.3 liter V8 engine with 510 hp.  To be built alongside the M-Class and R-Class at the Tuscaloosa, Alabama plant, look for a Detroit debut in January and sales starting shortly after. If it is branded as a MLX then pricing could be only $5,000 to $10,000 more than the M-Class and if it's branded as a G-Class replacement expect pricing to be $15,000 to $20,000 over the M-Class.

Article On German Car Fans

I think it wouls make a nice addition to the M-class, but I still hope they continue building an updated, but nmot completly changed G-class.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Not very striking...but that may be just because of the camo.

ifcar

The R-Class already fills their premium SUV-with-space niche, they should keep the G-Class distinct.

BMWDave

QuoteThe R-Class already fills their premium SUV-with-space niche, they should keep the G-Class distinct.
I fully agree.  The G Class has a rugged heritage that shouldnt be tampered with.  The car is almost an icon unto itself.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

And, more importantly, its heritage lets them sell a few hundred a year at grossly inflated prices. And MB needs that sort of profit.

BMWDave

QuoteAnd, more importantly, its heritage lets them sell a few hundred a year at grossly inflated prices. And MB needs that sort of profit.
Very true.  Even with its inflated price, it could be the most appealing Mercedes today.

2007 Honda S2000

CaseyNPham

Looks too... soft. Anything with the G name should be bold IMO
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

R33 GT-R

I sure hope it's not snagglepuss, I like the hard edged one myself.  Don't change it Benz.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

JYODER240

It kind of reminds me of a Toyota Highlander.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

sportyaccordy

Yea they should keep the G as is. And Land Rover should bring back the Defender.

I still hate SUV's by the way.

BMWDave

QuoteYea they should keep the G as is. And Land Rover should bring back the Defender.

Land Rover still makes the Defender, it just isnt brought to the US.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

There is no way that MB would replaced the G with this blob.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteYea they should keep the G as is. And Land Rover should bring back the Defender.

Oh how I love the Defender....

R33 GT-R

I have seen a red Defender here in town, next time I see him I'll ask him when it came in.

Submariner

QuoteI have seen a red Defender here in town, next time I see him I'll ask him when it came in.
A guy I know in Boston imports Defenders.  He has like 15.

Copley motor cars
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BMWDave

Oh how I love the Defender....

I also love Defenders....back when we bought the Disco, we were thinking of getting one, but they were too expensive  :(

They go for a LOT of money now.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

how much were they when you looked at them?

R33 GT-R

BMWDave

Quotehow much were they when you looked at them?
Like 60K.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteI like this one, 22k.

Thats a great deal....Defenders are indestructible, basically :lol:   They are truly amazing cars.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

This one has custom imported seats so all your friends can come along.  

BMWDave

QuoteThis one has custom imported seats so all your friends can come along.  

Regular Defenders come with 4 seats also, though probably not as comfortable as those.

Here are some funny pictures I found:

Nothing happened to the Defender.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Check out this car...this is quite the looker B)

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

That's a 110 isn't it?

I know the 90s have the small jumpseats, but as you stated these look like they are much more comfortable.

R33 GT-R

BMWDave

QuoteThat's a 110 isn't it?

I know the 90s have the small jumpseats, but as you stated these look like they are much more comfortable.
Yea, its a 110.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

regular
I dont anyone would be too comfortable back there, even in the other one B)

But still, you can take the top off the soft top ones and the people in back would have a blast.  :lol:

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

Yea, without the top cruising the beach or the french quarter during Mardi Gras would be nice.  I don't know of many who would want to be back there if off roading though.  A good hard hit would throw them onto the hood.  Well at least you could have the spare tire mounted there for them to grab hold of before going under the frontend.  

R33 GT-R

QuoteR33, get this one :lol:

lol, me doing a ride along with Catman waiting for speeders.