GM to close four truck plants, may sell Hummer

Started by ifcar, June 03, 2008, 08:53:34 AM

Byteme

GM Should sell Hummer just to blunt the bad image selling those things bring now days.

Lebowski

I could never figure out how the "sell hummer" plan would work economically consider the H2 and H3 are based on GM platforms (and presumably built at the same plants as other GM trucks?)

ifcar

Quote from: Lebowski on June 03, 2008, 11:25:48 AM
I could never figure out how the "sell hummer" plan would work economically consider the H2 and H3 are based on GM platforms (and presumably built at the same plants as other GM trucks?)

There have been similar arrangements before. The Range Rover was using a BMW engine when Ford bought that brand IIRC, and they were able to work it out. Ford will have to do the same now that they've sold a Jaguar brand that includes Ford-sourced mechanicals. And of course the Hummer H1 wasn't a GM design either when they bought it.

Payman

They should make a Li'l Hummer, something like the old Suzuki Samurai! Nothing could touch that little buzzbomb offroad.

Lebowski

Quote from: ifcar on June 03, 2008, 11:38:02 AM
There have been similar arrangements before. The Range Rover was using a BMW engine when Ford bought that brand IIRC, and they were able to work it out. Ford will have to do the same now that they've sold a Jaguar brand that includes Ford-sourced mechanicals. And of course the Hummer H1 wasn't a GM design either when they bought it.

The H1 is what, 0.0001% of hummer volumes now?

Sourcing something like an engine from another company is pretty common in the auto world regardless.  The H2 and H3 don't just share an engine with other GM cars, they're based on existing GM platforms, and I would assume assembled in the same plants (anybody know)? 

ifcar

They no longer sell the H1. My point was that when GM acquired the brand, it was building someone else's truck. I'm sure GM would be able to work out a way to keep building the current Hummers for whoever buys the brand until they redesign or discontinue them.

Lebowski

Quote from: ifcar on June 03, 2008, 02:19:28 PM
They no longer sell the H1. My point was that when GM acquired the brand, it was building someone else's truck. I'm sure GM would be able to work out a way to keep building the current Hummers for whoever buys the brand until they redesign or discontinue them.

The "someone elses's truck" was the Hummer, which they bought.  The H1 wasn't based on a Ford Expedition that they weren't getting as part of the deal.

The whole value that came from buying the Hummer brand was in applying the brand to existing GM truck chassis.  That business model can't really be replicated, and therefore the full economic value GM has realized from buying the brand cant' be transferred to someone else.

Middle_Path

Please let Hummer go the way of the dodo. I hate those more than any other car. They are the absolute worst of the worst. Anyone on carspin that drives one then I hate you as well.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

Lebowski

Quote from: Middle_Path on June 03, 2008, 04:33:26 PM
Please let Hummer go the way of the dodo. I hate those more than any other car. They are the absolute worst of the worst. Anyone on carspin that drives one then I hate you as well.

I hate them too.  The H2/H3 driver represents pretty much everything I can't stand about the typical poseur american consumer showing off his/her money. 

But from a profitability per unit standpoint, they've got to be up there among the top of GM's product portfolio, likely even in this crappy environment for SUV sales, and that profitability likely can't be replicated by anyone else, so I still don't see why they'd sell it.

93JC

Quote from: Lebowski on June 03, 2008, 01:21:58 PM
The H2 and H3 don't just share an engine with other GM cars, they're based on existing GM platforms, and I would assume assembled in the same plants (anybody know)? 

The H2 is built in Indiana at AM General's factory. The H3 is built at GM's plant in Shreveport.

the Teuton

Quote from: Lebowski on June 03, 2008, 04:48:15 PM
I hate them too.  The H2/H3 driver represents pretty much everything I can't stand about the typical poseur american consumer showing off his/her money. 

But from a profitability per unit standpoint, they've got to be up there among the top of GM's product portfolio, likely even in this crappy environment for SUV sales, and that profitability likely can't be replicated by anyone else, so I still don't see why they'd sell it.

Hummers do have their place in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmaNeNZEtHI&feature=related

Calling them poseur cars is like calling you a poseur.  I'm going to bet you've never gone 186 mph in your car.  I'm going to go as far to say that you've never taken your car over 150.  You're under utilizing it.  I think you're a poseur, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Lebowski

Quote from: the Teuton on June 03, 2008, 06:11:27 PM

Calling them poseur cars is like calling you a poseur.  I'm going to bet you've never gone 186 mph in your car.  I'm going to go as far to say that you've never taken your car over 150.  You're under utilizing it.  I think you're a poseur, too.

Interesting, unlike the H2s I see around here none of them in the video were riding on 22" rims and the low profile tires that go with them.

If you can't see how you can enjoy a sports car w/o going 186 mph then you don't belong on this website.

A bright yellow H2 with 22" rims, probably paid for with a 42 year loan, is about the bling and nothing else, sorry.

GoCougs

I love the H1, H2, and H3 in all their excessive American-ness - their time has likely come and gone (going), but one day we'll all revel in the days of 8-12 mpg behemoths driven to no more affect than that of a minivan or mid-size sedan.

VTEC_Inside

The H2s were/are poseurs compared to the H1. The general public believes that the H2 is a new H1, not the knock off Yukon that it really is.

This is what I think of when I think of the H2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9r_Hv3H9I
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Soup DeVille

Yes they do, but 99% of them never go anywhere more adventurous than the local mall.

Still, I can't imagine why any company would want to buy Hummer. I could see a small scale production of the H1 for logging and mining companies use being profitable, but that's about it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

My father used to own and run an H1 (a 96 model with the small block V8) for his 4wd tour/offroad recovery business.  For that, there was nothing like it in the world.  He would comfortably haul 10 people around some of the most rugged roads in Colorado in complete comfort, without a hiccup.  He eventually sold it when maintenance costs got too high.

ifcar

Quote from: R-inge on June 04, 2008, 05:52:04 PM
My father used to own and run an H1 (a 96 model with the small block V8) for his 4wd tour/offroad recovery business.  For that, there was nothing like it in the world.  He would comfortably haul 10 people around some of the most rugged roads in Colorado in complete comfort, without a hiccup.  He eventually sold it when maintenance costs got too high.

Did he modify it? Stock, it only has four seats.

Lebowski

Quote from: ifcar on June 04, 2008, 09:17:10 PM

Plus a pickup-style bed, I'm guessing that's the rest of them were.  Or the wagon.

S204STi

Quote from: ifcar on June 04, 2008, 09:17:10 PM

He just crammed everyone inside and slammed the door shut. :clap:

Single-cab, pickup bed, with two forward facing bench seats, the rear higher than the front so you can see out ahead of the vehicle.

hotrodalex

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 04, 2008, 03:57:24 PM
The H2s were/are poseurs compared to the H1. The general public believes that the H2 is a new H1, not the knock off Yukon that it really is.

This is what I think of when I think of the H2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG9r_Hv3H9I

Idiot driver.  :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on June 04, 2008, 10:23:56 PM

He just crammed everyone inside and slammed the door shut. :clap:

Single-cab, pickup bed, with two forward facing bench seats, the rear higher than the front so you can see out ahead of the vehicle.
Where were these bench seats located?

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on June 07, 2008, 05:15:45 PM
Where were these bench seats located?

Behind the cab.  I can't seem to find a pic of it...sorry.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Lebowski on June 03, 2008, 04:48:15 PM

Maybe I should trade my Avalanche for an H2 just to piss you guys off.

I like Hummers.  Yes, most people who buy them are either self-absorbed scum bags or paranoid soccer moms, but the same goes for people who buy BMWs and Range Rovers.  I don't care about the other people that buy them.  I just like the badass look of the cars.

Atomic

Quote from: Byteme on June 03, 2008, 10:32:50 AM
GM Should sell Hummer just to blunt the bad image selling those things bring now days.

sell hummer? nah! just discontinue it. gm has cheapened the brand. who would be silly enough to buy the languishing brand anyway? the vehicles, once kinda cool, actually look mighty silly now. insecure men have other choices, btw  :rastaman: !

Lebowski

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 07, 2008, 06:24:41 PM
Maybe I should trade my Avalanche for an H2 just to piss you guys off.

I like Hummers.  Yes, most people who buy them are either self-absorbed scum bags or paranoid soccer moms, but the same goes for people who buy BMWs and Range Rovers.  I don't care about the other people that buy them.  I just like the badass look of the cars.

It wouldn't piss me off, it would just make you look like a douche.  The joke would be on you.

GoCougs

I just read that the average auto loan is about $27k. Wow. That trucks and full-size SUVs are much more expensive and radically underutilized relative to the average car, is also a big factor in their big-time sales decline (i.e., a want not a need).

TBR

Quote from: Atomic on June 08, 2008, 10:47:40 PM
sell hummer? nah! just discontinue it. gm has cheapened the brand. who would be silly enough to buy the languishing brand anyway? the vehicles, once kinda cool, actually look mighty silly now. insecure men have other choices, btw  :rastaman: !

They might have cheapened the brand, but they increased volume by a hell of a lot to. If you think GM is making less off of the Hummer brand than AM General made on civilian H1s you are crazy. I'd say that Hummer is a more attractive buy than it was when GM picked it up. It's really the only success story GM has had in the past few years.

Yawn

I dont know much about factories, but couldnt they make money buy selling it to the Euro's that want to start building their autos here? But keep the workers so no layoff's. Keep the factories and cities in working order.

I know that there would be conversions but it would be better than building a new site..

Maxxum

I must admit, as much as I want to see more fuel efficient vehicles on road, less dependency on foreign oil, I do love Hummers for their design and looks. I wish at some point in my lifetime they can come up with a Chevy Volt-like solution that you plug in your Hummer and it will run for 40-60 miles without gas. That will take care of most of the daily driving. Then for highway, have things like regenerative hybrid, cylinder shut-off, or some other method of saving on gas. I am not an off-roader but I think one can drive a vehicle just because they like how it looks and drives even when they are not pushing it to the limit of what it was made for.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")