My grandfathers F-150. Sell, trade, or fix it up?

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, June 04, 2008, 11:17:03 PM

Wich would you do?

Sell or trade on newer motorcyle
0 (0%)
keep and fix it up.
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Gotta-Qik-C7

I just recieved my grandfathers 1995 2wd 5 liter F-150. His doctor told him not to drive anymore (82yrs and in good health,but has gotten forgetful) and he refused to listen. So as a last resort his wife sold his '88 Grand Marquis and gave the F-150 (he doesn't know that I have it) to me. He has had the truck since it was a year old (purchased it from his best friend in '96) and it needs some TLC. From the looks of it the truck needs a front spring,new paint,tires,and an engine code check to see why the Check Engine light is on. The interior is mint and the truck runs perfect,even with the CE light on,as far as I can tell.   

Now this is the problem. I already have 3 cars and a bike. I'm planning on trading my '99 Z28 on a 20?? Z28. I'm keeping my '94 Corolla and '04 T-Bird. I've been planning on selling/trading my 600 Gixxer for a 750 before next year so I can focus on my new Z28. Another vehicle (a 2 tank,V8 vehicle) added to the stable now kinda throws a monkey wrench in my plans. The truck would sit 99% of the time unless I need to haul something every blue moon (I have plenty of friends with trucks 'tho), but I kinda feel bad about getting rid of it because I know how my grandfather felt about it. 

So here's whats been running through my mind for the past couple days. Sell/trade the truck and my 600 GSXR and buy a 750 GSXR. Or keep the truck and fix it up by adding dual exhaust,removing the running boards (the passenger side one is wood..Long story),light tint,HID conversion,etc.

Let me know what you guys would do,because I'm lost on this one.  :huh:

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

I'd keep it, fix the problems it has, but leave it as as-is as you can- wooden running board and all. Use it when you need a pick-up for pick-uppy things.

There are millions of F-150s in the world, but only one belonged to your grandfather.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2008, 11:28:54 PM
I'd keep it, fix the problems it has, but leave it as as-is as you can- wooden running board and all. Use it when you need a pick-up for pick-uppy things.

There are millions of F-150s in the world, but only one belonged to your grandfather.
Very good point.

saxonyron

My first car was my grandfather's 71 Chevy wagon that I "inherited" when he died back in 81.  It really is special to have a car that has that intangible family connection.  So I'd vote with my heart and side with Soup - keep it.  Of course, if I voted with logic, it makes more sense to sell it since you mention you've got plenty of vehicles in your life and this one might tip the scales to being a burden.  Maybe ditch the Corolla and keep the F-150. You could clear enough dough to put a little into the pickup to slick it up a little, and you'll be stylin'.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

Quote from: saxonyron on June 05, 2008, 12:07:25 AM
My first car was my grandfather's 71 Chevy wagon that I "inherited" when he died back in 81.  It really is special to have a car that has that intangible family connection.  So I'd vote with my heart and side with Soup - keep it.  Of course, if I voted with logic, it makes more sense to sell it since you mention you've got plenty of vehicles in your life and this one might tip the scales to being a burden.  Maybe ditch the Corolla and keep the F-150. You could clear enough dough to put a little into the pickup to slick it up a little, and you'll be stylin'.

So what happened to the '71?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: saxonyron on June 05, 2008, 12:07:25 AM
Point taken! The only problem is I commute in the Corolla (only when the weather won't let me ride my bike) and drive it all winter. Also the F-150 can't touch it when it comes to mpg.

saxonyron

Quote from: M_power on June 05, 2008, 12:22:53 AM
So what happened to the '71?

It had 2 blown cylinders when my dad handed me the car and a new toolbox.  That was my first DIY valve job.  What a beautiful and simple engine to work on.  I would literally sit on the fenders, brace my legs on the engine, and wrench away.  A family of 4 could live comfortably under the hood. :lol:

I drove it from 82 till 87 when I got out of college.  Sold it to a friend of a friend for $250 with around 190,000 miles on it.  I literally choked up when the guy drove it away, especially since this car was in my life since I was 6 years old. Could I do it all over again knowing what I know now, I would have hung onto it.  Then when I was, ohhhh, say 43 or so ;) , and could afford it, I'd do a sweet restoration on it and drive it around town on the weekends.  :cry:

So QuickZ28, I'm a sap when it comes to a car with some family history. You may regret ditching it at some point down the road, especially if it was a beloved family ride.  But f it was just Grampa's utility kickaround truck, then maybe no big deal. You'll have to decide that.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Lebowski

Sell it. 

It's tempting to keep stuff like this for sentimental reasons, but keeping a car for sentimental reasons really is a bad idea IMO.  It's just going to sit there and collect dust.

How about selling it and using the money to buy or do something nice for your grandfather?  I think that's what I'd do if it were me.

saxonyron

Quote from: Lebowski on June 05, 2008, 06:53:20 AM
Sell it. 

It's tempting to keep stuff like this for sentimental reasons, but keeping a car for sentimental reasons really is a bad idea IMO.  It's just going to sit there and collect dust.

How about selling it and using the money to buy or do something nice for your grandfather?  I think that's what I'd do if it were me.

Damn, you sound like one of those finance guys!  :lol:  Of course, you're right, but I'm all for a little irrational exhuberance if the moment calls for it.  For me, I could easily have kept the car since I've always had plenty of room.  If I didn't have that, I'd be nuts to hang onto a car for 20 yrs in hopes of restoring it at some unknown distant future date.  My buddy still has his '71 Olds 442 ragtop on his property - except he did the redneck thing and just left it there while the roof caved in.  Now the car is beyond shameful, just sitting there with saplings growing out of the back seat. :rage:  He's got it stuck out in the woods on his 3 acres, so it's not quite screaming redneck behavior, but it's close.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Gotta-Qik-C7

Sold the F-150 to a friend today! Kinda bitter sweet!

2o6

Gotta-Qik-C7

My cousin was here from MI and he drove it to and from work for about a year and a half. After he purchased a new car it basically sat..and sat....and sat! I think I drove it 3 times in the past year and a half. So when My friend said he needed a car really bad I told him he could get the truck.