Types of lubricants question.

Started by Anatol, June 09, 2008, 02:26:33 AM

Anatol

I recently went to car shop and theres like 7 different car lubricant spray's for different parts, is this really necessary to use exactly right one for each part or there is some universal lubricant that good for everything?

Also what types of lubricants do exist, i mean there are liquid, dense, with silicone and without, waterproof is there some full classification of them somewhere?

Rupert

Generally, different lubricants have different properties and so are suited to certain parts better than others. I would think that you would want to make sure to use a waterproof grease for any parts that get exposed to the atmosphere, etc. I'd say that it's a bad idea to just use one kind of lubricant for everything, but it I'm sure some kinds of lubricant can have a combined purpose.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Like Psilos said, some are specifically useful in one area of the car.  For example; brake caliper grease.  It is the best way to lubricate slide pins and lands on a caliper, but it is really worthless for anything else. 

Bearing grease is another.  Using anything other than bearing grease to lube your bearings would be a disaster.  Likewise with gear oil, ATF, motor oil, and in some cases power steering fluid (though really that is sometimes just glorified ATF).

Rupert

I didn't even consider motor oil, transmission fluid, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Oh I guess he was asking about lubricant sprays anyway...sorry for the rabbit trail.

Silicone spray is a common one which is actually useful to apply to weatherstripping to keep it from drying out or squeeking.  Other than that it has no other obvious use.  A heavy spray lube (usually goes on thin and sets up thick) is good for hinges and door straps.  A thinner penetrating oil is good for lock cylinders and latches.

r0tor

when in doubt.... astr0glide FTMFW
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

Well, there's water-based and oil-based (best to use water-based, it's absorbed by the body and not as messy), scented and unscented, spermicidal and non-spermicidal...

Laconian

Oil based lubricants eat away at rubber. :nono:

Silicone is great for prolonging the life of rubber components, but never use it on things made of silicone: it'll melt into a blobby mess.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on June 12, 2008, 11:14:10 AM
Oil based lubricants eat away at rubber. :nono:

No fun if you're wearing a rubber! :mask: