New NSX to have V-10

Started by BMWDave, July 21, 2005, 07:16:59 AM

BMWDave

Honda says it will build a V10 engine; new powerplant scheduled for NSX replacement
YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/20/05
TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V8 production engine.

But it now says it will develop a V10.

Honda will install the powerful engine in a successor of the current NSX sports car, which is powered by a V6. Production of the current NSX will stop at the end of this year.

The V10 will be more powerful than any other engine Honda has built for its production vehicles.

The NSX successor will debut in "three to four years," says Takeo Fukui, Honda's president. He would not elaborate the plan. The new sports car will be sold worldwide.

It isn't known if Honda plans to use the V10 in any other vehicles."What we're aiming at next is not a V8 but a V10," says Motoatsu Shiraishi, president of Honda R&D Co., Honda's engineering arm. "We've got to be the top of a top (group) in producing engines."

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

wouldn't it be easier to make a v8? stick together two (old) S2000 engines and get a 4.0 V8 with 480hp. That'd make a really sweet NSX.

NomisR

I don't think that's how it works...  but couldn't they just drop in a turbo 6?  They're experienced with turbos from F1s, they can pull it off.  If Porsche can do turbo 6, why can't Honda?  I don't see why all the bitching about Honda having a 6 cyclinder, Porsches don't cost any less with their NA 6 and nobody pisses all over them, it's anti japanese bias.  

Raghavan

QuoteI don't think that's how it works...  but couldn't they just drop in a turbo 6?  They're experienced with turbos from F1s, they can pull it off.  If Porsche can do turbo 6, why can't Honda?  I don't see why all the bitching about Honda having a 6 cyclinder, Porsches don't cost any less with their NA 6 and nobody pisses all over them, it's anti japanese bias.
yeah, just stick em together at the crank.

Run Away

Did you even read what he said? He said turbo one of their current V6s, not join two existing engines together. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'd prefer if they had made a V8, but I'm sure the V10 will be sweet anyways.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'll believe it when i see it.

Raghavan

QuoteDid you even read what he said? He said turbo one of their current V6s, not join two existing engines together. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'd prefer if they had made a V8, but I'm sure the V10 will be sweet anyways.
he said that he doesn't htiink you can join two engines together.

NomisR

QuoteDid you even read what he said? He said turbo one of their current V6s, not join two existing engines together. :rolleyes:

Yeah, turbo 6, even if newly developed would be fine, I don't really see any need for a V8 or V10.  Plus, I don't think they can just join 2 I-4 to make a V8.  2 V4 might work though I'd think.  Or maybe 2 V6 to make a V12??  

BMWDave

Yeah, turbo 6, even if newly developed would be fine, I don't really see any need for a V8 or V10.  Plus, I don't think they can just join 2 I-4 to make a V8.  2 V4 might work though I'd think.  Or maybe 2 V6 to make a V12??
2 V6 make a W12, like VW's.

2007 Honda S2000

Secret Chimp

2 V6 make a W12, like VW's.
Not if you stick them end to end, duh  :rolleyes:  

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

NomisR

Not from S2000 engines anyways, it's I4 and would make a really long engine if they tried to make a I8.  

Raghavan

Not from S2000 engines anyways, it's I4 and would make a really long engine if they tried to make a I8.
yes you can. stick them side by side and join them at the crankshaft, not end to end.

giant_mtb

Over at C/D someone made a thread similar to this and asked if they were going to use the F1 V-10...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   What an idiot...NEWBIE!  :lol:  

Raza

A V10 in that?  Sweet!

:rolleyes:

4-5 years for the next NSX?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

R33 GT-R

I saw a yellow NSX yesterday, the car never changes but always looks good.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

giant_mtb

QuoteI saw a yellow NSX yesterday, the car never changes but always looks good.
You should buy one... ^_^

BMWDave

I dont like the NSX's styling....its very nice, but definitely not on par with a supercar.  It seems to plain, and plebian, if you will.

2007 Honda S2000

giant_mtb

I dont like the NSX's styling....its very nice, but definitely not on par with a supercar.  It seems to plain, and plebian, if you will.
Ehhh sorta...I still think it's a very good looking car and there arent any other cars on the road that look anything like it, but you are right, it isn't on par with other supercars.

NomisR

Ehhh sorta...I still think it's a very good looking car and there arent any other cars on the road that look anything like it, but you are right, it isn't on par with other supercars.
Yeah, it doesn't have the huge panel gaps and the low rent interior like the super cars, WTH was Honda thinking charging so much for such a low quality car... full leather interior, aluminum body with little gaps, they need to do what other manufacturers did, lots of plastic and huge gaps..  :rolleyes:  

BMWDave

Yeah, it doesn't have the huge panel gaps and the low rent interior like the super cars, WTH was Honda thinking charging so much for such a low quality car... full leather interior, aluminum body with little gaps, they need to do what other manufacturers did, lots of plastic and huge gaps..  :rolleyes:
What supercars have low rent interiors :o ?

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

What supercars have low rent interiors :o ?
the F430.

NomisR

What doesn't?  Name an Italian one and check the interior, it's definately not top quality, the only thing that's making it expensive looking is the prancing horse and the raging bull.

BMWDave

QuoteWhat doesn't?  Name an Italian one and check the interior, it's definately not top quality, the only thing that's making it expensive looking is the prancing horse and the raging bull.

I have to disagree there...

This would be low rent -->

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

The NSX isn't a supercar.  It's a sports car/GT that costs 90 grand.  The idea was to outperform a 348 (which it drew several styling cues from, and subsequently, the 355 as well) for less money.  Which it did.  It needed more power in later years to keep up with cars like the Corvette and Viper that offered a more brutal experience for a lower price.  Styling was classic and beautiful until the bulbous fixed headlights became standard equipment and not aftermarket fare.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

QuoteThe NSX isn't a supercar.  It's a sports car/GT that costs 90 grand.  The idea was to outperform a 348 (which it drew several styling cues from, and subsequently, the 355 as well) for less money.  Which it did.  It needed more power in later years to keep up with cars like the Corvette and Viper that offered a more brutal experience for a lower price.  Styling was classic and beautiful until the bulbous fixed headlights became standard equipment and not aftermarket fare.
Well, considering that it perform on par than the cars that costs more than it, is more reliable, and drivable.  Hell even the cheaper cars like the ones you listed are better at that and people complain about the Honda?   :rolleyes:  

Raza

QuoteThe NSX isn't a supercar.  It's a sports car/GT that costs 90 grand.  The idea was to outperform a 348 (which it drew several styling cues from, and subsequently, the 355 as well) for less money.  Which it did.  It needed more power in later years to keep up with cars like the Corvette and Viper that offered a more brutal experience for a lower price.  Styling was classic and beautiful until the bulbous fixed headlights became standard equipment and not aftermarket fare.
Well, considering that it perform on par than the cars that costs more than it, is more reliable, and drivable.  Hell even the cheaper cars like the ones you listed are better at that and people complain about the Honda?   :rolleyes:
I know it didn't sound like it, but I was supporting your argument.  The thing is that the NSX didn't really evolve when it was in a market segment that has made leaps and bounds from when the NSX was first concieved 15 years ago (this, of course, was due to no Accord parts being in the NSX).  It was a faster and better handling car than the 348, but then the C5 Corvette came on the scene with its brutish LS1 and a price tag that's half of the NSX's, and the Viper, which was even more brutish, but costs almost equal to the NSX.  The NSX was a failure because it was seen as an overpriced competitor to the Corvette C5, when it was really a lower priced alternative to a Ferrari 348 and eventual 355.  It was a sports car reliable enough to be driven everyday, much like the C5, but its exclusivity is what made it more of a competitor to low end Ferraris than to Corvettes.  The biggest problem the car had was in market perception, and the fact that people were not as willing to shell out 90 grand for an Acura as they were to spend 50 grand on a car that has been around for decades, or 120 grand for a car from a company that is one of, if not the, most fabled names in automotive history.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

QuoteThe NSX isn't a supercar.  It's a sports car/GT that costs 90 grand.  The idea was to outperform a 348 (which it drew several styling cues from, and subsequently, the 355 as well) for less money.  Which it did.  It needed more power in later years to keep up with cars like the Corvette and Viper that offered a more brutal experience for a lower price.  Styling was classic and beautiful until the bulbous fixed headlights became standard equipment and not aftermarket fare.
I know it didn't sound like it, but I was supporting your argument.  The thing is that the NSX didn't really evolve when it was in a market segment that has made leaps and bounds from when the NSX was first concieved 15 years ago (this, of course, was due to no Accord parts being in the NSX).  It was a faster and better handling car than the 348, but then the C5 Corvette came on the scene with its brutish LS1 and a price tag that's half of the NSX's, and the Viper, which was even more brutish, but costs almost equal to the NSX.  The NSX was a failure because it was seen as an overpriced competitor to the Corvette C5, when it was really a lower priced alternative to a Ferrari 348 and eventual 355.  It was a sports car reliable enough to be driven everyday, much like the C5, but its exclusivity is what made it more of a competitor to low end Ferraris than to Corvettes.  The biggest problem the car had was in market perception, and the fact that people were not as willing to shell out 90 grand for an Acura as they were to spend 50 grand on a car that has been around for decades, or 120 grand for a car from a company that is one of, if not the, most fabled names in automotive history.
The car mostly died from perception and not the actual performance of the car.  Even after 15 years in the market and relatively unchanged, it still performance on par with cars that costs more.  And providing what you get for the money, simply the car being hand crafted alone, it is worth just as much as their competitors.  C5 is an exception though, it was designed as a mass produced vehicle with high performance and GM did really well with the car.