What I would like to see....

Started by mojammer, June 16, 2008, 05:23:45 PM

Vinsanity

In addition to being taller than a midget, my trunklid takes a lot of effort to open and close. I'm thinking the pneumatic shocks that hold them up are over-pressurized.

And the other luxury cars with power trunklids open and close slowly in a mechanized manner. You'd have to try to hurt yourself with it (place your hand over the latch and wait patiently)

As for the auto-dimming mirror, this is just me being spoiled and lazy, but I like it a lot! Especially in my old Q45 because of the all-around tinted windows. But then again, I didn't have to spend $200 for that feature in either of my cars that had it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:03:47 AM
I agree with Raza that the reverse-adjusting side mirror is very helpful, especially when your trunklid is taller than a midget, like on the CTS.

Speaking of trunklids, I wish mine had a power open/close feature. I hate having to put down whatever heavy load I'm carrying just to open/close the trunk. It would arguably be the most convenient power feature for me to have.
Power trunklids sounds so stupid.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 10:48:43 AM
Power trunklids sounds so stupid.

Do you shop at Costco or Sam's Club by any chance?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:53:25 AM
Do you shop at Costco or Sam's Club by any chance?
Yes. I use a cart while shopping.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 10:53:57 AM
Yes. I use a cart while shopping.

But when you unload the boxes from the trunk, wouldn't it be more convenient to be able to shut the trunk with a push of the button or a gentle tap of the lid instead of putting the boxes down to close it?

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:47:51 AM

And the other luxury cars with power trunklids open and close slowly in a mechanized manner. You'd have to try to hurt yourself with it (place your hand over the latch and wait patiently) I was thinking more of the lid hitting an obstruction and putting a nice scratch or dent on itself.

As for the auto-dimming mirror, this is just me being spoiled and lazy, but I like it a lot! Especially in my old Q45 because of the all-around tinted windows. But then again, I didn't have to spend $200 for that feature in either of my cars that had it.
On the 6 it was an option and since It was already on the car I had the choice of buying the car with it on it or continuing to look.  The cost of the mirror on your Q45 may not have been itemized on the sticker but whoever bought that car new paid for it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:57:03 AM
But when you unload the boxes from the trunk, wouldn't it be more convenient to be able to shut the trunk with a push of the button or a gentle tap of the lid instead of putting the boxes down to close it?
No. I'd still need an extra hand to press the button or tap the lid so I might as well just close it.

Plus the 'cc0rd's trunk swings and latches very easily. It's not power though.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 10:59:52 AM
No. I'd still need an extra hand to press the button or tap the lid so I might as well just close it.

Fiddling about with doors and boots, let alone shutting them vigorously, is rather uncouth, and not appropriate for the refined gentleman.

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:57:03 AM

If you are closing the trunk wouldn't the boxes be in the trunk and not in your hands?   :huh:

I mean, you approach the car with your shopping cart, push the trunk unlock button, open the trunk lid, put the stuff in the trunk, close the trunk lid and leave the cart carelessly behind someone else's car.

If your hands are full of boxes or bags you will have to set one down to get the remote out of your pocket to open the trunk anyway so isn't it a moot point?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Byteme on June 19, 2008, 10:58:46 AM
On the 6 it was an option and since It was already on the car I had the choice of buying the car with it on it or continuing to look.  The cost of the mirror on your Q45 may not have been itemized on the sticker but whoever bought that car new paid for it.

oh, I know...I was just acknowledging that it was already in the car just like on your Mazda :ohyeah:

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 10:59:52 AM

Usually I'm able to carry the key fob and press buttons on it while carrying heavy boxes, but closing the lid takes more effort that it should. I miss the s2k's effortless trunklid :lol: User-friendliness was always one of my favorite things about Hondas.

Cookie Monster

Yeah, Honda's are very userfriendly, but if you need the free arm to press the button, might as well use that arm to close the lid. :huh:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 11:11:19 AM
Yeah, Honda's are very userfriendly, but if you need the free arm to press the button, might as well use that arm to close the lid. :huh:

Commoner! Breathe not mine air!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Byteme on June 19, 2008, 11:04:14 AM
If you are closing the trunk wouldn't the boxes be in the trunk and not in your hands?   :huh:

I mean, you approach the car with your shopping cart, push the trunk unlock button, open the trunk lid, put the stuff in the trunk, close the trunk lid and leave the cart carelessly behind someone else's car.

If your hands are full of boxes or bags you will have to set one down to get the remote out of your pocket to open the trunk anyway so isn't it a moot point?

I'm talking about unloading the boxes from the trunk when you get home (sorry if I was unclear earlier). Usually my hand is free enough to carry the key fob around while unloading boxes from the trunk..

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 11:12:55 AM
I'm talking about unloading the boxes from the trunk when you get home (sorry if I was unclear earlier). Usually my hand is free enough to carry the key fob around while unloading boxes from the trunk..

Oh, if I'm at home I leave the trunk open until I carry everything in and then walk out to the garage or drive and close the trunk. 

On my list of "nice to haves" a power trunk lid would be pretty far down the list.

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on June 19, 2008, 11:11:19 AM

Don't need a whole arm; a thumb and a finger will do ;)

MrH

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 11:22:45 AM
Don't need a whole arm; a thumb and a finger will do ;)

That's what she said...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 10:03:47 AM
I agree with Raza that the reverse-adjusting side mirror is very helpful, especially when your trunklid is taller than a midget, like on the CTS.

Speaking of trunklids, I wish mine had a power open/close feature. I hate having to put down whatever heavy load I'm carrying just to open/close the trunk. It would arguably be the most convenient power feature for me to have.

That would be fine if the trunk could read your mind: as it is, you still have to either push the button on the trunk or finger you key fob- and many times that still means putting down whatever you're carrying. Then there's the problem that whenever anything, and I mean anything interferes with the closing of the lid, it stops and opens back up again. Maybe there are a few people here who've never tried to squish that one last suitcase in, but I'm not one of them- and the slightest resistance causes the damn safwety circuits to open the trunk all the way open again, after which you have to figure out how to operate the manual over-ride (on Toyota minivans this requires getting into the car, putting the key in and setting the whole damned thing to bypass, or to just slam it manually against actuators, probably damaging them in the process.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Oh, and on reverse-adjusting mirrors: therer is the rare, rare occasion where a situation requires me to adjust the passenger side mirror to see the curb. 99% of the time I know where it is, and I'm using that mirror to look behind the car, not at the curb. For that 1% of the time, I have no problem exerting the effort to finger the switch to put it where I want it to be. The rest of the time, I want it to stay where it is. Yes, I know the system can be turned off, as most of these things can: but I quite simply don't want them, and I find it annoying to have to go through the procedure to turn them off, as many things (like parking asist on GM cars) turn themselves back on automatically everytime the car is started.

I don't know why anybody would want autolocking/unlocking doors either. If I want my doors locked, I lock them. If I want them unlocked, I unlock them: and I want them to stay that way until I tell them to change.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Saabs, and maybe some other cars, have these wonderful mirrors that are convex on the outside and flat on the inside.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2008, 04:44:11 PM
Oh, and on reverse-adjusting mirrors: therer is the rare, rare occasion where a situation requires me to adjust the passenger side mirror to see the curb. 99% of the time I know where it is, and I'm using that mirror to look behind the car, not at the curb. For that 1% of the time, I have no problem exerting the effort to finger the switch to put it where I want it to be. The rest of the time, I want it to stay where it is. Yes, I know the system can be turned off, as most of these things can: but I quite simply don't want them, and I find it annoying to have to go through the procedure to turn them off, as many things (like parking asist on GM cars) turn themselves back on automatically everytime the car is started.

I don't know why anybody would want autolocking/unlocking doors either. If I want my doors locked, I lock them. If I want them unlocked, I unlock them: and I want them to stay that way until I tell them to change.

Not to sound too much like Ro, but you know, you can override the auto reverse mirror in BMWs, right?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2008, 07:19:20 PM
Not to sound too much like Ro, but you know, you can override the auto reverse mirror in BMWs, right?

Did you read the part of the post where I addressed that?

"Yes, I know the system can be turned off, as most of these things can: but I quite simply don't want them, and I find it annoying to have to go through the procedure to turn them off, as many things (like parking asist on GM cars) turn themselves back on automatically everytime the car is started."

Useless crap is useless crap whether it's on or off.

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2008, 07:24:18 PM
Did you read the part of the post where I addressed that?

"Yes, I know the system can be turned off, as most of these things can: but I quite simply don't want them, and I find it annoying to have to go through the procedure to turn them off, as many things (like parking asist on GM cars) turn themselves back on automatically everytime the car is started."

Useless crap is useless crap whether it's on or off.

The park assist I can agree with.  When you have 3 different sounding beeps coming at you from all directions (I have had this before), it can be very distracting.

As for the mirror, just move the switch to the right.  It's not bothersome enough to make too much of a stink over.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2008, 07:19:20 PM

"Not to sound too much like Ro"

Hey! :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 19, 2008, 07:33:14 PM
"Not to sound too much like Ro"

Hey! :lol:

I spent a good bit of time figuring out how to override all of the bullshit in those cars.  I gave up on actually doing it, though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on June 19, 2008, 07:29:10 PM
The park assist I can agree with.  When you have 3 different sounding beeps coming at you from all directions (I have had this before), it can be very distracting.

As for the mirror, just move the switch to the right.  It's not bothersome enough to make too much of a stink over.

When the best thing you can say about a feature is "its not bothersome enough to make a stink over," I don't find it to be a very desirable feature.

I know I sound like a crotchety old man in this thread, but honestly- I just don't want this crap.

Vinsanity

To be honest, there were a few things I chose to override in my car. One is the driver's seat adjusting to a position that's supposed to make it easier to exit. I fail to see how being pushed 10 inches forward with the seatback perpendicular to the floor is supposed to help. It would be a good idea if I were able to set my personal "exit" position, though.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 19, 2008, 04:44:11 PM

Like I said, you can turn off the side mirror self-adjust.  And leave it off.  Permanently if you want.  You've got two adjust buttons.  Just push in on the driver's side and leave it there, and the mirror won't self adjust until you press in on the passenger side.  You're just being stubborn, Jay.

And I like auto-locking doors.  Auto-unlock I'm not so fond of; but you get used to it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 19, 2008, 08:17:56 PM
To be honest, there were a few things I chose to override in my car. One is the driver's seat adjusting to a position that's supposed to make it easier to exit. I fail to see how being pushed 10 inches forward with the seatback perpendicular to the floor is supposed to help. It would be a good idea if I were able to set my personal "exit" position, though.

Other than locking and unlocking, my Passat doesn't do shit!  I do have to remember to make sure my mirror heaters are off, though, that's about the most troublesome thing.  I don't even have an autodimmer on the rearview mirror.  I have to turn my headlamps on all by myself, by turning a switch, no less!  And the wipers?  Do they sense rain?  No.  I sense rain, and turn them on. 

Luxury features are just that; luxuries.  If one doesn't want them, then don't buy a luxury car.  BMWs are luxury cars. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 19, 2008, 08:35:32 PM
Like I said, you can turn off the side mirror self-adjust.  And leave it off.  Permanently if you want.  You've got two adjust buttons.  Just push in on the driver's side and leave it there, and the mirror won't self adjust until you press in on the passenger side.  You're just being stubborn, Jay.

And I like auto-locking doors.  Auto-unlock I'm not so fond of; but you get used to it. 

I've already admitted to acting like a crotchety old man, isn't that enough for you? My point is that all these features that manufacturers seem to think are essential to a "luxury" automobile quite simple aren't. At best many of them are benign and useless, at worst some of them are downright annoying.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 19, 2008, 08:38:50 PM
Other than locking and unlocking, my Passat doesn't do shit!  I do have to remember to make sure my mirror heaters are off, though, that's about the most troublesome thing.  I don't even have an autodimmer on the rearview mirror.  I have to turn my headlamps on all by myself, by turning a switch, no less!  And the wipers?  Do they sense rain?  No.  I sense rain, and turn them on. 

Luxury features are just that; luxuries.  If one doesn't want them, then don't buy a luxury car.  BMWs are luxury cars. 

But I want a luxury car. I want a powerful, quiet, car that gobbles up highway miles with ease while swaddling me in absolute comfort. I want a car that drives well, and I want a car with (yes, I admit it) curb presence.

I simply don't want to have constant arguments with it. I already have a wife.