At fault in an accident.

Started by NomisR, June 18, 2008, 11:20:40 AM

NomisR

I'm reading this thread on the Lotus forum on accident and I'm wondering how the resident LEOs would determine fault.

For example, there's this one owner got T-boned because this 65 yr old lady ran a stop sign.  His side did not have any stop signs at all and basically his car was totalled.  Anyways, for whatever odd reason, he was deemed at fault even though the other driver was the one who ran the stop sign, what's the deal with this?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: NomisR on June 18, 2008, 11:20:40 AM
I'm reading this thread on the Lotus forum on accident and I'm wondering how the resident LEOs would determine fault.

For example, there's this one owner got T-boned because this 65 yr old lady ran a stop sign.  His side did not have any stop signs at all and basically his car was totalled.  Anyways, for whatever odd reason, he was deemed at fault even though the other driver was the one who ran the stop sign, what's the deal with this?

Need more details before I would even want to guess.

Who deemed him at fault, the police, or his insurance company?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 18, 2008, 03:03:59 PM
Need more details before I would even want to guess.

Who deemed him at fault, the police, or his insurance company?

The police, not a lot of details were posted since he was advised by the lawyer not to so details were sketchy. 

Just wondering if there's any reason this could have been done because it doesn't make sense. 

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on June 18, 2008, 11:20:40 AM

You have to be doing something very illegal to be deemed at fault when the other person ran a sign. 

I'd fight this like hell.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

Was he DUI? That's all I can think of.

sparkplug

Senior citizens have the right of way. It's a privilege that has to do with age.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

bing_oh

Impossible to determine fault without the facts (and, when you're hearing one side of a story, you're rarely hearing all of the facts). Many times, the circumstances are very different when you're on the scene of a crash as opposed to when you're hearing what happened from one of the involved people.

NomisR

Well, considering he was driving

Through this intersection

It seems like it's pretty easy intersection for the other car to run the stop sign. 

Only reason him to be put at fault was because he was out at the time the statement was given and the fact he was driving a lotus with a helmet on means he must have been speeding..  :rolleyes:

And it's an accident by a 65 yr lady which means they never lie  :rolleyes:  So the fast expensive "exotic" car driver with a helmet on must be at fault.

Even though that may not be what happened but that's a most likely scenerio for this since initial statement was probably only received from the person that caused the "accident" since the victum had to be airlifted to the hospital.

Byteme

Quote from: sparkplug on June 19, 2008, 08:42:04 PM
Senior citizens have the right of way. It's a privilege that has to do with age.

Works for me!!!   :lol: :ohyeah: :devil:

Cookie Monster

Got a link to the original thread?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

NomisR

Quote from: thecarnut on June 20, 2008, 10:51:30 AM
Got a link to the original thread?

Original thread doesn't have much info in it anymore because it was mostly deleted on the advice of the lawyer.  All that remains is people asking if he was ok and then saying glad he was ok. 

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on June 20, 2008, 09:59:12 AM
Well, considering he was driving

Through this intersection

It seems like it's pretty easy intersection for the other car to run the stop sign. 

Only reason him to be put at fault was because he was out at the time the statement was given and the fact he was driving a lotus with a helmet on means he must have been speeding..  :rolleyes:

Was that the actual car?  If so was it even registered for use on the street?

And it's an accident by a 65 yr lady which means they never lie  :rolleyes:  So the fast expensive "exotic" car driver with a helmet on must be at fault.

Even though that may not be what happened but that's a most likely scenerio for this since initial statement was probably only received from the person that caused the "accident" since the victum had to be airlifted to the hospital.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 20, 2008, 01:40:21 PM
So it's cheap?

Elises with structural damage are nearly impossible to repair, and without the chassis, all you're left with is a mediocre Toyota motor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 20, 2008, 04:52:09 PM
Elises with structural damage are nearly impossible to repair, and without the chassis, all you're left with is a mediocre Toyota motor.

That would make for some expensive off track excursions.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 20, 2008, 04:52:09 PM

Nearly impossible?  I have a hammer, duct tape, and four seasons of MacGyver on DVD.  I eat "nearly impossible" for breakfast.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on June 20, 2008, 08:22:25 PM
Nearly impossible?  I have a hammer, duct tape, and four seasons of MacGyver on DVD.  I eat "nearly impossible" for breakfast.

LOL.

I prefer frosted mini wheats actually.

Go for it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

He's simply not being straight on the story - it just doesn't make any sense. My hunch is that he was indeed speeding excessively.

The police report simply doesn't state "driver A ran stop sign and t-boned driver B. Driver A is at fault." There was reasoning behind their findings.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 20, 2008, 09:19:34 PM
He's simply not being straight on the story - it just doesn't make any sense. My hunch is that he was indeed speeding excessively.

The police report simply doesn't state "driver A ran stop sign and t-boned driver B. Driver A is at fault." There was reasoning behind their findings.

Well, since the guy had to be airlifted out, it's quite possible that he didn't get the chance to tell his side of the story to the officer on scene.

The question is: did the officer have anybody else there besides the other driver that gave their accounts?

James Young

Quote from: Raza  on June 20, 2008, 08:22:25 PM

Raza, that's great!
Freedom is dangerous.  You can either accept the risks that come with it or eventually lose it all step-by-step.  Each step will be justified by its proponents as a minor inconvenience that will help make us all "safer."  Personally, I'd rather have a slightly more dangerous world that respects freedom more. ? The Speed Criminal

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on June 20, 2008, 09:19:34 PM

Even so...she ran a stop sign...at the very least she is partially responsible.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

bing_oh

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2008, 10:13:21 AM

Ohio crash reports require that one of the involved parties be marked as "at fault." Basically, the most at fault driver in the crash (usually the one with the biggest contributing factor in the crash itself) is marked as "at fault." That doesn't mean that both drivers couldn't have contributed significantly to the crash...I've cited both drivers out of a crash on many occasions and what they did to contribute to the crash was in the report, one is just usually more "at fault" than the other.

rohan

Quote from: NomisR on June 18, 2008, 03:23:55 PM
The police, not a lot of details were posted since he was advised by the lawyer not to so details were sketchy. 

Just wondering if there's any reason this could have been done because it doesn't make sense. 
My guess he's full of shit.  Not enough details- doesn't sound kosher- and no need for a lawyer in a traffic ticket case- I call BS on this one right off the bat.
edit- I didn't see the airlifted part right away but my BS call stands.

Quote from: ifcar on June 19, 2008, 10:00:33 AM
Was he DUI? That's all I can think of.
DUI- suspended/denied/revoked- above posted limits/ unsafe speed for conditions (construction zone) - no lights- had turn signal on but didn't turn causing traffic crash- improper use of turning lane- improper lane usage (other)-

Several ways to be found at fault- especially if there were witnesses.

Quote from: NomisR on June 20, 2008, 09:59:12 AM
I've been to a lot of traffic crashes and I've never seen anyone wearing a crash helmet - that's strike one.

That looks really residential- so it's quite probably 25-35 mph zone and it's a construction zone so even if it WAS a 35 zone it's probably limited now to 25.  Strike 2.

I've never ever seen anyone airlifted who was going 25-45 and hit broadside (angle) crash. Granted it's a small car but I've seen lots of small cars broadsided.  Strike 3.

It just doesn't happen- there's way more to the story he's not telling like which side was he hit one- what was the secondary impact with- where did his car come to rest- how many feet of skid marks were there prior to primary impact from his car- how many after impact- how many after secondary impact- how many witnesses- lastly- what was his speed at 1)prior to impact 2)at point of impact 3)prior to and at point of secondary impact 4)how far from primary impact to resting point 5)how much damage to both cars (need to see photos to roughly guage crush data. 

I just don't believe his story based on the little info and the photo.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: bing_oh on June 22, 2008, 12:08:28 AM
Ohio crash reports require that one of the involved parties be marked as "at fault." Basically, the most at fault driver in the crash (usually the one with the biggest contributing factor in the crash itself) is marked as "at fault." That doesn't mean that both drivers couldn't have contributed significantly to the crash...I've cited both drivers out of a crash on many occasions and what they did to contribute to the crash was in the report, one is just usually more "at fault" than the other.
We can cite both and we can find both equally at fault or we can simple find one at fault with the other having played a contributing factor. 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

GoCougs

Quote from: Submariner on June 21, 2008, 10:13:21 AM

An accident scene where two cars traveling at about the same speed collide at 90 degrees (presuming she blew the stop sign) would look much, much different than if the speed between the two cars varied greatly. Add in mass of the two vehicles, the point of contact between the two, and the distance each traveled after collision, and it's relatively easy to judge what happened.

IMO, the investigation showed he was at fault as accident investigation is pretty straight forward science. How exactly he was found to be at fault is hard to tell given how little information is available.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on June 22, 2008, 06:38:09 AM

I've been to a lot of traffic crashes and I've never seen anyone wearing a crash helmet - that's strike one.

Perhaps one reason for that is that the windshield on that car is all but removed completely- you'd need at the bare minimum some decent eyewear to drive that thing at any speed.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 22, 2008, 03:00:46 PM
Perhaps one reason for that is that the windshield on that car is all but removed completely- you'd need at the bare minimum some decent eyewear to drive that thing at any speed.

Yep. I'd definitely want a helmet in that car.