What is gonna happen if I don't change my rotors????

Started by sportyaccordy, June 19, 2008, 09:08:05 PM

sportyaccordy

I recently changed my pads... one of them was worn to the point that it was actually grinding on the rotor. I drove it for maybe 2 miles just to get to a shop and have the work done.

I also noticed my rotors have little ribs in them. The brakes work alright now, though on hard stops I can really smell the pads cooking.

In any case, do I have to change the rotors immediately???

VTEC_Inside

You don't have to, but those rotors are going to eat up your new pads until they conform.

I've done it before. Just ended up having to replace the pads again when I finally got new rotors.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 19, 2008, 09:08:05 PM
I recently changed my pads... one of them was worn to the point that it was actually grinding on the rotor. I drove it for maybe 2 miles just to get to a shop and have the work done.

I also noticed my rotors have little ribs in them. The brakes work alright now, though on hard stops I can really smell the pads cooking.

In any case, do I have to change the rotors immediately???

Just have them turned.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Little ribs?

I hope you're not driving on the vanes. :lol:

Secret Chimp

If the Maxima doesn't have retarded rotor-sandwiched-inside-of-impossible-to-get-off-hub-assembly brakes like 97-and-below Accords do, just go for it. Replacement rotors aren't too expensive if you don't go all fancy-pants.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

The Brembos are great.  My wife's focus used to warp rotors if you looked at them funny, but not once I put those on.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: R-inge on June 19, 2008, 10:42:15 PM
The Brembos are great.  My wife's focus used to warp rotors if you looked at them funny, but not once I put those on.

Likewise on my Accord. ALWAYS had warped rotors on that thing until I put a set of those Brembo rotors on.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Oh and BTW Sporty, usually only cheap shit pads smell like they're burning when you bed them in.

Middle_Path

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

sportyaccordy

I was gonna splurge on Hawk HPs + Brembo Blanks but some medical bills have put car stuff to a screeching halt (no pun intended ;) )

280Z Turbo

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 20, 2008, 02:21:35 PM
I was gonna splurge on Hawk HPs + Brembo Blanks but some medical bills have put car stuff to a screeching halt (no pun intended ;) )

You don't need Hawk HP's. Those are pretty harsh, from what I understand. I'd just get metal masters.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: L. ed foote on June 20, 2008, 10:41:21 AM
The guys @ the shop'll probably try to sell him new ones.

And they'll probably say stupid shit like "Ooh, looks like you got them a little hot."

Of course I got them hot, pepboy jr., they're frikkin' brakes!

Just tell them to turn them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 20, 2008, 04:34:22 PM
And they'll probably say stupid shit like "Ooh, looks like you got them a little hot."

Of course I got them hot, pepboy jr., they're frikkin' brakes!

Just tell them to turn them.

He'll tell him they're warped and that you can't turn warped rotors because they're already warped and if you turn something that's warped it'll warp again.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 20, 2008, 05:07:13 PM
He'll tell him they're warped and that you can't turn warped rotors because they're already warped and if you turn something that's warped it'll warp again.

Yeah, I've heard that too, which is again bullshit because I've done it for years.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 20, 2008, 05:08:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard that too, which is again bullshit because I've done it for years.

I'd imagine that it makes it more susceptible to warping since it's the same rotor, only thinner.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 25, 2008, 11:09:16 PM
I'd imagine that it makes it more susceptible to warping since it's the same rotor, only thinner.

Probably, but it'll take a while to do so anyways, so if you can opt for the $20 resurface rather than the $100 rotor and get half the service life, well, there you go.

Secret Chimp

I just got a good PROTIP from Miata.net - NAPA rotors are just unbranded Brembo blanks, apparently.

omicron

rohan

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on June 19, 2008, 11:03:01 PM
Likewise on my Accord. ALWAYS had warped rotors on that thing until I put a set of those Brembo rotors on.
Our department uses Brembo OEM rotors and Hawk ceramic pads- they are amazing.  One question though- past practice is that anytime they have to change pads they buy new rotors as well because I'm told the alloys in the newer rotors won't take resurfacing well-- any truth to that?  If not and the rotors aren't warped is there any real need to replace "good" rotors- and remember it's on police cars.  I'm trying to figure out if we're wasting money on new rotors every pad replacement.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on June 29, 2008, 11:51:17 AM
Our department uses Brembo OEM rotors and Hawk ceramic pads- they are amazing.  One question though- past practice is that anytime they have to change pads they buy new rotors as well because I'm told the alloys in the newer rotors won't take resurfacing well-- any truth to that?  If not and the rotors aren't warped is there any real need to replace "good" rotors- and remember it's on police cars.  I'm trying to figure out if we're wasting money on new rotors every pad replacement.

I don't think they really know what they're talking about if they claim the rotor surface has an "alloy" that doesn't take to resurfacing well.  The disc is almost always cast iron, but there are many cars that utilize an aluminum "hat".  That part isn't being touched though, so I don't think there is any reason to believe that.

AutobahnSHO

Seems to me anyone saying you HAVE to buy new rotors when the old ones are real thick just wants your $$.

Real technical, I know, but the thing is, it's just pads squeezing a piece of metal. As long as that piece of metal is still thick enough it won't matter WHAT it's made of yada yada

But yeah, resurface for new pads since the little (sometimes invisible) grooves will tear up the new pads otherwise...
Will

rohan

The guys who do our basic maintainance stuff are state certified county mechanics- so they say- I don't think they're trying to sell anything just for money but who knows they may be buying the parts from some relatives store.  Let me ask this would Ford Chevy and Dodge be recommending this on their patrol cars?  We currently have all three and are tryign to switch over to all Chargers over the next 4 replacement cycles.  Maybe I should track down manuals for each and see what they say- or should I call someone for that info?  I'ld like to not have to buy these parts if I don't need to because it comes right out of my patrol budget- and it gets pretty pricy pretty quickly- any idea where I can go online to get some ammo on this?  Appreciate the help fellas.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

There's usually a minimum allowable thickness for the rotors either stamped on the edges of the rotors themselves or listed in the shop manual. That's the only definite stat that I know of. The other guidelines are more of a judgement call kind of thing: and mind you, I'm not claiming the mechanics recommending replacement of warped rotors are trying to bilk anybody: most likely they are doing what they've been taught to do.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on June 29, 2008, 01:41:35 PM
I don't think they really know what they're talking about if they claim the rotor surface has an "alloy" that doesn't take to resurfacing well.  The disc is almost always cast iron, but there are many cars that utilize an aluminum "hat".  That part isn't being touched though, so I don't think there is any reason to believe that.

The rotors may be of a harder grade of iron than most OEM cast iron discs. If that's so, its probaably because that rotors will chew up the tool steel cutter on their brake lathe and they don't want to (or don't knoow they can- mechanics are not usually machinists) buy a higher grade cobalt or high carbon steel cutter.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2008, 03:22:09 PM
The rotors may be of a harder grade of iron than most OEM cast iron discs. If that's so, its probaably because that rotors will chew up the tool steel cutter on their brake lathe and they don't want to (or don't knoow they can- mechanics are not usually machinists) buy a higher grade cobalt or high carbon steel cutter.

This is certainly a valid theory. 

r0tor

Quote from: Secret Chimp on June 26, 2008, 06:24:25 AM
I just got a good PROTIP from Miata.net - NAPA rotors are just unbranded Brembo blanks, apparently.

My father got some extremely nice rotors from Napa for an extremely good price.  The were the "premium" ones and I was skeptical at first but when I saw them in person I approved very much so.  I'm fairly certain they were actually from Performance Disc Australia because they are the only ones with the crazy venting.  http://www.dba.com.au/kanga_paw_design.asp

oh, and sometimes pad manufacturers like to recommend new rotors or a turning between pad changes because of sometimes mixing of different brake compunds on the rotors can hurt performance
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

rohan

Quote from: R-inge on June 29, 2008, 10:09:18 PM
This is certainly a valid theory. 
So are they right- or are they wrong?  We're getting ready to do our fourth quarter budget planning in the next week or so and having that info might come in handy.

~Chief Seattle

Soup DeVille

Quote from: rohan on July 06, 2008, 10:53:47 PM
So are they right- or are they wrong?  We're getting ready to do our fourth quarter budget planning in the next week or so and having that info might come in handy.

What I said is just what I think might be: I don't have any proof of that.

I just don't see any other reason why the rotors shouldn't be turned.