Why I think the X6 sucks

Started by the Teuton, June 25, 2008, 06:16:15 PM

the Teuton

I've been contemplating the X6 for the past few days.  It's a great driver with a punchy engine and awesome, firm suspension that you just don't get on the X5.  The car definitely puts the "sport" in sport utility vehicle.

But there are a few things just lacking with it.  First off, I really liked the X6 at first, but unlike most of the other BMWs at the dealership, the more I see it, the more I get tired of it.  The back end looks like it came off an Aztek, and the rear visibility is terrible.  Unlike the X5, it doesn't even have a rear window wiper, so you're left with a worse than useless rear window when it rains.  With that, I think the X6 will start to look dated very quickly -- not typical for a BMW.

The four-passenger seating also makes it useless.  While the car isn't meant to be your people hauler, it can't even come through in a pinch.  On higher trim models, the seats are lined in suede, which definitely makes it feel much cooler than the X5.  But the rest of the interior is largely the same.  And where the X5 has a backup camera, the X6 is stuck with the same old radar system.  So, in short, you have less visibility than the X5 AND less ability to see what's behind you.

I think the XDrive35i feels like a giant, lifted 135i, and it most certainly is fun to drive, but I really, really, REALLY can't understand why someone would buy one over an X5.

If I were to buy something similar, I'd probably go with an X5 4.8is or just a 3.0 with the X6's wheels, tires, and suspension.  I just don't get it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Why I think this thread sucks:

1. Duh. That's the reason this forum has hated it from day one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2008, 06:19:09 PM
Why I think this thread sucks:

1. Duh. That's the reason this forum has hated it from day one.

My boss drives one right now, and the more I see the car, the more I hate it. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on June 25, 2008, 06:21:30 PM
My boss drives one right now, and the more I see the car, the more I hate it. 

That's wonderful. However, don't you think this thread is a bit redundant? These are the reasons why this board hates the X6 to begin with.

Oh, and by the way, the X6 does indeed come with a backup camera.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2008, 06:29:02 PM
That's wonderful. However, don't you think this thread is a bit redundant? These are the reasons why this board hates the X6 to begin with.

Oh, and by the way, the X6 does indeed come with a backup camera.

Not the one I drove, apparently.

Eye of the Tiger

The X6 would make such a perfect blueberry wrangling vehicle! But for the extra ten g's over the X5, what does it have to offer? Less space?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on June 25, 2008, 06:47:24 PM

And the 5er I drive almost daily doesn't have Logic7. Does that mean I can't get it on the 5er?

Quote from: NACar on June 25, 2008, 07:01:31 PM
The X6 would make such a perfect blueberry wrangling vehicle! But for the extra ten g's over the X5, what does it have to offer? Less space?

Less space, less seats, but ridiculously good motors.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2008, 07:08:43 PM
And the 5er I drive almost daily doesn't have Logic7. Does that mean I can't get it on the 5er?

Less space, less seats, but ridiculously good motors.

Same ridiculously good motors as the X5, right?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Lebowski

You had to contemplate this for several days in order to figure it out?

The rest of us figured this out in about 3 seconds.  Except for Cougs, he thinks it's awesome.  When he isn't enjoying really bad movies or going on dates with 3 dudes and a fat chick, or making condescending remarks about what makes him "chuckle", he sometimes fantasizes about owning an X6.

CALL_911

Quote from: NACar on June 25, 2008, 07:10:10 PM
Same ridiculously good motors as the X5, right?

No.

The X5 has two motors:
1. A 3.0L NA I6; a form of the N52B30 engine. The same exact engine was in the 330i when it was around, and a slightly detuned version is in the _28i/xi.
2. A 4.8L V8, known as the N62B48. It's in the _50i.

The X6 has:
1. A 3.0L TT I6, known as the N54B30 engine. It's in the _35i.
2. A 4.4L TT V8 known as the N63B48. It's brand new.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Quote from: the Teuton on June 25, 2008, 06:47:24 PM

You work at a BMW dealership and haven't figured out that BMW nickels and dimes you for every goddamned feature that every other manufacturer either includes standard or in some sort of single package that everyone who buys the car gets?

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on June 25, 2008, 07:57:04 PM
You work at a BMW dealership and haven't figured out that BMW nickels and dimes you for every goddamned feature that every other manufacturer either includes standard or in some sort of single package that everyone who buys the car gets?

ya rly

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: Lebowski on June 25, 2008, 07:57:04 PM

It doesn't particularly make sense not to have one on a vehicle with such terrible outward visibility.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on June 25, 2008, 09:47:16 PM
It doesn't particularly make sense not to have one on a vehicle with such terrible outward visibility.
How unbecoming of an Ultimate Driving Machine.

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2008, 09:56:29 PM
How unbecoming of an Ultimate Driving Machine.

This isn't quite like Ferrari and cupholders.  This is a safety issue.  The visibility in the X6 sucks.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on June 25, 2008, 10:03:06 PM
This isn't quite like Ferrari and cupholders.  This is a safety issue.  The visibility in the X6 sucks.
I was referring to the crap visibility. :lol:

the Teuton

Yeah, it has backup sensors, but how could they only put these weak-ass over-cautious sensors on this car as OPTIONS (I have driven some E53 X5s without any of them) and the camera as an option when the same company puts them on a MINI cabrio as standard equipment for under $25k?

GoCougs

Meh, too big for me. I've had big vehicles as daily drivers before. The current ride (Accord) is about as big as I'd ever want to go.

I see the X6/X5 issue as similar to that of the CLS/E-class - a limited-production version of an already-existing vehicle that trades utility for style.

I think as far as I'd go about fantasizing about it is inventing shameless, higher roller stories to try to impress a bunch of people I've never met.

omicron

Quote from: GoCougs on June 25, 2008, 10:37:17 PM
Meh, too big for me. I've had big vehicles as daily drivers before. The current ride (Accord) is about as big as I'd ever want to go.

I see the X6/X5 issue as similar to that of the CLS/E-class - a limited-production version of an already-existing vehicle that trades utility for style.

I think as far as I'd go about fantasizing about it is inventing shameless, higher roller stories to try to impress a bunch of people I've never met.

Problem!

This:

is marvellous.

This:

is the result of letting a drunken yak loose in a herd of cows.

nickdrinkwater

Saying it sucks is harsh, especially when plenty of positive points are listed in this thread.

I don't see this as being any different from  the CLS.  Lots of cars have intangible appeal and lots of people effectively pay more to get 'less' - seats, practicality, whatever.

Looks are subjective and I'm sure some people will find the X6 visually appealing.

ifcar

You know who should have had an SUV that looked like the X6? Porsche. If the Cayenne had that roofline, it would still be more useful than anything else in the lineup, yet it would be recognizable as a sporty vehicle.

You know shouldn't have had an SUV that looked like the X6? Anyone who already has the same car, but better.

nickdrinkwater

Well, BMW came up with the idea and Porsche didn't, so Porsche missed a trick or BMW went out on a limb depending on how you look at it.

I presume you're talking about the X5, but to some people, perhaps the X6 is better.  It depends what you're looking for in a car...

sportyaccordy

Q: BMW has the 3 series wagon, 5 series wagon, the X3 and the X5. To what end does the X6 serve?

A: To make BMW more money

Vinsanity

Speaking of the CLS, it's a damn shame they didn't just make the X6 a "regular" car in direct competition with the CLS. It looks like it would be a stunning car if it were the same height as one.

Tave

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 26, 2008, 11:30:54 AM
Speaking of the CLS, it's a damn shame they didn't just make the X6 a "regular" car in direct competition with the CLS. It looks like it would be a stunning car if it were the same height as one.

Word
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

Cookie Monster

So basically this is about as useful as an X3 while being far uglier, not providing a manual transmission and being a whole lot heavier and less efficient?

:pee: BMW
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: thecarnut on June 26, 2008, 12:29:24 PM
So basically this is about as useful as an X3 while being far uglier, not providing a manual transmission and being a whole lot heavier and less efficient?

:pee: BMW

I'm pretty sure the X3 has significantly more cargo room (and it seats 5, doesn't it?).